Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds Cayman/991 perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

In my case I was ready to order a 991 cabrio in January, but then I test drove the 981 Boxster S. After taking a prolonged test drive of both cars, I found them to be very comparable in performance notwithstanding the 30HP defict of the 981. The price differance between the two cars that I was considering was almost $30K. The only significant differance between the two cars was the absence of a rear seat in the 981, a seat which I would nvever use. So in my case the decision was easy, and I ordered the 981.
There are lots of factors that come into the car buying decision, and I can understand that others can look at the same data that I did and reach a different decision and order the 991. So who made the correct decision? We both did.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, in regards to the performance, the new Boxter S, being significantly lighter, feels close to the 991 Cab. So either choice is a great one.
There are practical concerns too (rear seat, space, cost, etc).
But in the end, the decision is somewhat of an impulsive and emotional one.
For me, there is no substitute for the feel of a real-engined car (911). It came down to that. Although not quite as pronounced with the 991, that feel is still definitely there. That's worth the exra $30K to me. (in my case, I got the C2S)
Old 04-19-2013, 06:13 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
In my case I was ready to order a 991 cabrio in January, but then I test drove the 981 Boxster S. After taking a prolonged test drive of both cars, I found them to be very comparable in performance notwithstanding the 30HP defict of the 981. The price differance between the two cars that I was considering was almost $30K. The only significant differance between the two cars was the absence of a rear seat in the 981, a seat which I would nvever use. So in my case the decision was easy, and I ordered the 981.
There are lots of factors that come into the car buying decision, and I can understand that others can look at the same data that I did and reach a different decision and order the 991. So who made the correct decision? We both did.
That's what gets missed a lot in these 'reviews' that then become opinion pieces. At the end of the day, the cars aren't the same. Porsche has a really nice lineup of models in general, which is great. Throw-away comments like 'the 911 should have been this mid-engine 2 seater', 'get a Panamera if you need 4 seats', or 'the 911 is the only true Porsche sports car' are like saying 'well you like apples, but I really like pears, so the grocer clearly is making a mistake selling apples'.

Enjoy your 981 S and I assure you I'll be out enjoying my 991 C2. (Sorry for the conflict free follow-up to an inoffensive (and logical) post...)
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 PM
fast1
Race Car

Hockeyguy & Mrstep - Since I've owned several 911s over the years, I completely understand your love affair with the 911. Although I went with the 981 this time, to me the 911 will always be the quintessential sports car. Enjoy your cars, as I'm certain you will.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Ok enough of the group hug. Let's not forget one major point Edmunds made, which they actually did not make, it was made by Porsche team leader of engine development. That is Porsche detuned the exact same engine in the new Cayman S because it is a lower model than 991 base.

The question I had is this, what happens if you have a Cayman S that has the exact power output as the 991 base? Would it be a deal breaker for 991?

Personally I don't see any fundamental shift. If you like rear engine, or need the +2 seats, or just like the 911 badge, a 25hp gain on the new Cayman isn't going to make you suddenly like a mid engine, or have no need for the back seat, or become comfortable in a lower model.

I did not mention the price difference because if Porsche equalizes the power output, it is likely going to be with a power pack for a big chunck of money, removing the price/badge appeal.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Point 1 is a combination of arrogant; a sweeping generalization and condescending to boot what a load of rubbish! I have known 911 owners over 2 decades and they run the gamut from Wall St types who don't care to track to hard-core enthusiasts who know the entire history of the marque/911s and who can do their own maintenance (on old 911s).
Let's be honest: The average 911 buyer is a suit-and-tie-wearing, power-brokering status type more concerned with a perfect business deal than with a perfect heel-and-toe downshift. Sure, there's a core group of enthusiasts who drive the 911 the way it was meant to be driven. But a high percentage of 911s will see more duty trundling in traffic than thrashing on a track.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

I did not mention the price difference because if Porsche equalizes the power output, it is likely going to be with a power pack for a big chunck of money, removing the price/badge appeal.

When I had my 997 in for servicing a couple months ago, I had the pleasure of meeting a Porsche factory rep. After a couple minutes the discussion came around to the engines in the 991 and 981S. I wanted to know what Porsche did to detune the 3.4 liter engine in the 991, thinking that maybe I would be able to add the lost 30 HP without it costing me a fortune. Unfortunately he wouldn't reveal anything, except for the fact that Porsche expended a great deal of money to detune the 3.4 liter engine.

So if Porsche marketing is correct and 911 buyers don't cross shop 981s, then why did Porsche spend all of that money to ensure that the 991 would have more HP than the 981? It would have been far less expensive to have the same engine in both cars. Sometimes actions speak a lot louder than words.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by fast1:10403204

When I had my 997 in for servicing a couple months ago, I had the pleasure of meeting a Porsche factory rep. After a couple minutes the discussion came around to the engines in the 991 and 981S. I wanted to know what Porsche did to detune the 3.4 liter engine in the 991, thinking that maybe I would be able to add the lost 30 HP without it costing me a fortune. Unfortunately he wouldn't reveal anything, except for the fact that Porsche expended a great deal of money to detune the 3.4 liter engine.

So if Porsche marketing is correct and 911 buyers don't cross shop 981s, then why did Porsche spend all of that money to ensure that the 991 would have more HP than the 981? It would have been far less expensive to have the same engine in both cars. Sometimes actions speak a lot louder than words.
Equally from the marketing/bottom line perspective, it makes no sense to spend a lot more money to manufacture something that will sell for a lot less, and selling at a lot more limited quantity. Somewhere someone lied, we just don't know who
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by fast1
I think what prompted the first qustion, why did you buy the 981 in the first place, is that the 991 was released many months before the 981. There were plenty of 991s to test drive when the 981 was launched in July. So it's puzzling why you didn't avail yourself of that opportunity. Your Porsche dealer must love you.
Yes, Yes they do. At times I buy a new car every year. I have 3-4 cars so I flip the oldest one. But when I bought the Boxster S, I thought I was doing myself a favor and saving money. I didn't want to spend over 110g for a car that sat in the garage all winter. (I live in NE) Anyways, here I am.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by RCLNG
Can you point out some of the reasons that a 911 is 30-40K more? I couldn't find any in your post.
Some are just my opinion, some are fact: If my opinion doesn't agree with some, Oh well, that's the beauty of living in a free country.

Build quality - My opinion but I have owned both, not just test drove or read reviews.
Larger engine - I'm talking about the S even though the base model still has more power.
More Standard options, Different suspension, real front air intakes, Larger, better brakes, etc... etc.....
Name and image also play a part. Do you think Ferrari and Lamborghini charges upward of 300g for quality and performance alone? Name happens to play a part. A Hyundai can have the same quality and options as a Mercedes but I doubt anyone would ever pay Mercedes money for a Hyundai. IMHO
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ray S
I own both a 911 and a Boxster and I'm not emotional about which is better (truthfully, they are both better and worse than each other in different ways). I guess you could say, I could afford both.

Your analogy above is more than a little silly. If you put a 911 engine in a Corolla and turned them both lose with equal drivers the Corolla would still lose.

I guess I always knew there must be guys like you out there that honestly believed that Porsche hasn't purposely handicapped the Boxster/Cayman with smaller motors to protect the 911. The real point is they are both great cars in their own right, but it's a shame Porsche feels the (obvious to most) need to handicap one to protect the other. Personally I suspect if Porsche developed both models to their maximum potential, they'd still sell plenty of both.

That being said, I'm glad you like your 991. It's clear from the post below that you prefer it for all the reasons the Porsche marketing department wants you to.
Sorry Ray, If anything is Silly it's your conspiracy theory.
So by your theory because the Dodge Viper is faster than say the Dodge Challenger, than Dodge must be holding the Challenger back on purpose? Every car in a manufacturers stable can be given more power, isn't that a fact? Because they don't give them all the same power isn't a conspiracy theory, it's smart business.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:13 PM
xecution
AutoX

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
unless the 2014 cayman I drove is somehow not "standard", it had 19 inch wheels (the 991 I sold had 20 inch wheels), it had navigation, the interior (gauges, console) were identical to the 991, including the climate control. Are you sure that you looked at a new car?
Cayman/boxster has three dials/gauges, 911 has 5.

Last edited by xecution; 04-26-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Cayman/991 perspective