Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds Cayman/991 perspective

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

So I went over to the dealer to look at one. It is a major improvement on the old Cayman. Looks way better in person than in pics.

The one they had with full leather and sport seats looked as nice to me as my full leather 991. If it had the HP, it would for sure be on a par with a 991- but with a lot less space for stuff.

The issue of what a company like Porsche CAN design is not debatable. As for being a better performance platform- that is a totally untested hypothesis.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I don't understand why a reviewer can't just do a positive review of the Cayman (which it absolutely deserves) without denigrating the 911 (which it doesn't deserve.)
I actually think the reason is quite simple. Porsche has elevated its game so much that there is no point comparing these cars to other brands!

Porsche doesn't make a bad vehicle. Period. Incredible company.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a question for everyone to think about: "Is the Porsche marketing department so powerfull that they can forbid their racing department to race the so-called 'superior' cayman platform instead of the so-called 'inferior' 911 platform and be less successfull because of it ?"
Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 AM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I have a question for everyone to think about: "Is the Porsche marketing department so powerfull that they can forbid their racing department to race the so-called 'superior' cayman platform instead of the so-called 'inferior' 911 platform and be less successfull because of it ?"
My perspective would be that these sorts of strategic decisions are made at a higher level than just the marketing department. The marketing departments job is to execute the best strategy in order to meet the needs of larger corporate visions/objectives. I would also say that the racing team is looked at as an expense more than anything, from the bean counters that is.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clearly the cayman has an argument as the better looking car, but am I the only one that thinks the redesigned 991 is still without doubt the head turner of the two? I think it's probably true that a lot of women see the badge and to them a Porsche is a Porsche but for me recently purchasing a 991, I had to go with a 911 for many reasons over the cayman including the overall heritage.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

it's pretty funny that you guys seem to think that all women are oblivious to anything about cars - do you really want to own up to that stereotype? I, and many others, could point out women who know far more about cars than you do, drive better than you do, and do more mechanical work than you do - of course I wouldn't introduce you to them with the attitude in these posts. don't you think it is only right to talk about a great car as a great car, and not attempt to denigrate over half the population in doing so? I'd be interested in the detailed opinions of those who have driven both cars as daily cars - after 6 months I gave up my 991 as just too big for a daily one person car (OK, call me crazy), so the Cayman has some attraction -
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

My wife knows a little about cars. My wife saw a Cayman ad back in 2006 and showed it to me because she liked it better than the 911. I ended up buying one. Wow, lots of fun. Times change though. The Cayman doesn't have a backseat to put a baby seat (just in case) and my wife really likes the subtle design changes in the new 911. My new 991 should be arriving in Atlanta any time now. I love my wife.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

meh, aside from a few "who cares" points, the article is pretty much accurate.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
it's pretty funny that you guys seem to think that all women are oblivious to anything about cars - do you really want to own up to that stereotype? I, and many others, could point out women who know far more about cars than you do, drive better than you do, and do more mechanical work than you do - of course I wouldn't introduce you to them with the attitude in these posts. don't you think it is only right to talk about a great car as a great car, and not attempt to denigrate over half the population in doing so? I'd be interested in the detailed opinions of those who have driven both cars as daily cars - after 6 months I gave up my 991 as just too big for a daily one person car (OK, call me crazy), so the Cayman has some attraction -
I will own up to everything I said. The vast majority of women know very little about the distinction between porsche models and years etc. Of course there are exceptions to the rules. Here is a fair proxy: What percentage of rennlisters are female?

Beside the point we already know you are a troll. Go troll lotus forums and tell them your smart car was more nimble and actually fit in your driveway.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I don't think anyone said that NO women know anything about cars. Women who are that into cars / motorcycles / computers / golf / sports / etc. do exist, but I suspect it's a similar likelihood to men who really like to shop. This "let's pretend that the genders are exactly the same" (which is clearly not the case if you have kids and can observe how fundamentally different they can be) is just kind of silly.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

Originally Posted by william_b_noble:10380827
...and not attempt to denigrate over half the population in doing so?
Over half the population, clearly not good, maybe 47%

Besides, it is the original article that brought women in the discussion, why not write Edmunds about this? For the record, the majority of men do not know the differences either.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a ton of truth in that article (I guess it hurts some). Honestly, if I didn't need a back seat and Porsche made a Cayman with the Turbo or GT3 lump I'd be searching for one of those over another 911.

No denigration of the 911 is necessary (it's a great car in its own right), but there is a handling sweetness to Porsche's mid-engine cars that the 911 lacks IMHO.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

I think the new Cayman is one sweet car. It is as big an advance over the prior Cayman as the 991 is over the prior 911. It is far more substantial and has the stability advantage of the longer wheelbase, has pretty much the same sweet interior as the 991, shares much of the structure and the new supple superior suspension. It kept a super sweet 6 speed for those who like shifting, and offers the improved PDK for those who value performance. I think it could be as sweet a ride with another 50-75 horsepower. Until then it holds little interest for me- I'd rather have a Boxter S any day, with all that roadster goodness.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Damn, I take my 911 to the track while I could be attracting gorgeous women instead. I totally missed that!!! Like one of my friends says, tracking the 911 is the most fun you can have with your pants on. Now if you can have fun with your pants off too, it only confirms the great dual personality of the 991
I guess you could be at a DE where they let you wear shorts?!??

It really is amazing to be able to drive these new cars on the track as effortlessly as you do on the street. We have the luxury of developing all 3 of these cars right now (only racing the 997.2 and 987.2 with the 991 on the horizon) and I love all 3 of them for different reasons; we never find ouselves trashing one to support the other.

I'm sure someone is about to ask this or possibly already has, but as one of the more memorable quotes of our generation asks, "can't we all just get along?"

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 04-13-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
I don't think anyone said that NO women know anything about cars. Women who are that into cars / motorcycles / computers / golf / sports / etc. do exist, but I suspect it's a similar likelihood to men who really like to shop. This "let's pretend that the genders are exactly the same" (which is clearly not the case if you have kids and can observe how fundamentally different they can be) is just kind of silly.
I couldn't agree more. You'll see women at ALMS events, but they are typically accompanied by their husbands/boyfriends. Although I attend several racing events each year, I don't ever recall seeing a group of young women by themselves at these events. On the other hand you'll see numerous clusters of guys throuhout the grandstands.

This doesn't mean that men are superior to women; it just means that our interests are different. For the average woman a car is an appliance, a means to get from point A to point B in a safe and economical manner.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Cayman/991 perspective