997 GTS vs. 991 S

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 997 GTS vs. 991 S

997 GTS or 991 S, which would you choose and why? I’ll cross post in both forums to see both sides. Car is for the GF so either would be PDK and used, lots of used 991 S’s out their now in the 90k range, GTS’s in the 80k range. Performance wise I’m sure the 991 wins, but that probably isn’t the biggest factor. Looks are subjective, she likes the 997 interior better. Major drawback I see of the GTS are the dreaded center locks.

What do people think?
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at both and chose the 991. It's far far more refined on the interior, and much more comfortable as a DD. While the GTS is a bit more track-focused, the 991 will still be faster on a track. Unless you really want the feel of the 997 (and the rattles and jitters and noisier interior), it's hard to make a case for the GTS. The PDK is better on the 991, the exhaust sounds better, and I just generally like the look better inside and out. The GTS does have a wider-body look.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at both and was getting ready to order a GTS, but changed my mind at the last minute and went with the 991. I REALLY like the more spacious, luxurious interior, which means I am more comfortable every time I drive it. I do a lot of track days, and think the 991 is faster and you don't give up much in the way of feel.

I was initially disappointed to give up the center lock wheels, but as you say, they have really become more of a problem than any real benefit unless you change the wheels all the time.

What I like most about the 991 is the dual nature of comfy GT, and with the push of a few buttons (Sport Plus and wing up) its great fun on the track.

Now you are obviously in the 991 forum, and there seems to be a pretty direct correlation of people liking what they have, which seems normal enough. But at the risk of getting flamed, I don't know too many who would get rid of their 991 to get a 997, although the opposite seems to be true.

Regarding styling, I have always liked the 991 rearend better, even when I was planning on getting the GTS, but that will always be subjective. When you see the two cars on the road, they both look great in my opinion.

Good luck, and its hard to imagine you would be unhappy with either, but I certainly would not go back to a 997.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:25 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Every thing about the 991 is better. Except the way it looks on both interior and exterior.

I choose a manual GTS over the 991, if there wasn't any 996tt to buy anymore.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Every thing about the 991 is better. Except the way it looks on both interior and exterior.

I choose a manual GTS over the 991, if there wasn't any 996tt to buy anymore.
Not many people point to the 996 as being a top tier looker inside or out, but i respect your pov.

I was looking at a GTS, i may have actually pulled the trigger on it if it had been a PDK, but im glad that i didnt.
One drive of the 991s in sport plus mode had me convinced. My wife's pov was why buy another one that is almost the same as your last one, she much prefers the interior of the 991 and creature comforts, as do i, and i actually also prefer the exterior look more, but that of course is subjective.

I would have your SO/wife drive both cars and see which you prefer. Its a great 'problem' to have and there is no wrong or bad choice.

cheerds
Old 04-05-2013, 03:01 PM
StirlingMoss
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I would chose the GTS. I prefer the looks over the 991 and I find it more involving to drive. It has more of the 911 "quirkiness" and is less refined than the 991.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd choose a manual too, but it's not for me.

The opinion I'm getting from every one is that the 991 is really an advancement over the 997. Personally I'm really starting to like the look, just a more modern sleeker design.

She's only driven the 997 and probably really needs to take a test drive in the 991.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:22 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I'd choose a manual too, but it's not for me.

The opinion I'm getting from every one is that the 991 is really an advancement over the 997. Personally I'm really starting to like the look, just a more modern sleeker design.

She's only driven the 997 and probably really needs to take a test drive in the 991.
I did the same thing. Looked at used 997's, and then some sly salesman got me in a 991 and I knew instantly that was the car for me. So much more refined in every way. I very much doubt you'll find any 991 owners here who would choose the 997, but you'll definitely find 997 owners wanting the 991. Also, of note, there will always be that vocal minority who hates change and always wants the older car... like the 996, which I personally find one of the ugliest things Porsche ever made. Just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

They are both great Porsches, but really: What John said, especially as both are PDK, and the improvements in the 991 are substantial. I was offered a great leftover price on a new GTS when I looked at the 991, and after driving both, the savings for buying what was essentially a tarted up 10 year old design looked ridiculous to me.

I think they are both good lookers, the GTS if you like a more vintage look and the 991 if you like the future here now look. The interior of the 991 is so far better from an ergonomic point of view there is no real comparison. Leg and knee room are improved. The console is tapered so that no rubbing of knees and stub console, as in the old interior, takes place. The various controls are better arranged and easier to use without looking. The standard seats are improved- but she needs to compare what is in the GTS (likely sport plus seats) re what fits best. But mostly my recommendation is based on a year of trouble free and enjoyable ownership. The 991 has stretched the 911 performance and practicality envelope a large amount.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Drive them both and get the one you like. I would not let the center lock wheels scare you off. If you track the car and/or want or need to change the wheels frequently, then they could be an issue. But for street use, they are not an issue. I have a 2012 GTS with center locks that I have had for almost two years. Never had a single moment of trouble with the center locks, and they look great. The wheels are very high quality, forged wheels also.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I was facing the same decision several months ago. Except I was hoping to find a GTS with 5-lug wheels (pretty rare it turns out). Eventually, I decided on a 991 C2S with PDCC and all the other gizmos. I wanted to try out all the fancy stuff at the track.

The 991 really is a great car. However, to me, it felt more like a big, comfortable GT car than a sports car. My Cayman R is more fun on the track. So, last weekend I traded the C2S for a 997.2 Turbo S. Couldn't be more happy! My wife and I both prefer the 997 styling as well.

Bottom line - both are awesome cars. Get her the one she likes and everyone is happy.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had both cars. I traded in my '11 GTS for a '13 C2S last month.

GTS Plus: I loved the alcantara interior and steering wheel. I saw no appreciable wear to either in 28K miles. Car was quick, responsive, and a hoot to drive. PDK was reliable, never had an issue. Did quite a few autocross and track days in it; and I won my autocross class with it last year.

GTS Minus: The centerlock wheels. I bought a breaker bar and the special lube, and taught my tire shop how to change the wheels. I went through 5 sets of tires and 2 sets of rotors in the two years I had it (I mentioned the track days, right?) so I was dealing with the centerlocks on a regular basis. I never had a wheel fall off or any horror story, but on at least one occasion I got it back from the dealer with the locking splines not properly engaged. Scary... To me, there was nothing wrong with the 5 bolt wheel design and Porsche's centerlocks are an answer in search of a question.

991 S Plus: This thing is comfy! Softer ride than the GTS (PDCC may be responsible) but still handles well. No track time yet so the jury's out on that issue, but longer wb, wider front track and tires, and PDCC bode well. Maybe I'm an insensitive clod, but I really don't think the electric steering is a step backwards. I still feel that I know exactly what's going on. Not that you can tell much on the street, but turn in seems better with less noticeable understeer.

991 S Minus: No alcantara. Sorry, leather is slippery and gets hot or cold depending on the weather. Alcantara holds better and doesn't get as hot or cold as leather.

A major concern for me is autocross and track performance, and I don't have any first hand input yet in those areas. My first AX in the car will be next weekend and my first DE will be at the end of the month. I will say, though, that I instructed an AX student last month who had a 991S with PDCC. I was amazed when we hit the slalom. We entered at a speed that I thought was unmakeable. He was a first time student, and the fact that we didn't spin or slide horribly could only be attributed to the car, not the driver. Going through a quick slalom with no perceptible body roll was quite an experience.

On balance, I'm very happy with the 991S. But if a 991GTS is released any time soon, I'll probably regret not having waited for it. I'd really like a GT3, but I just don't see it as a practical daily driver.

DMoore
'13 C2S
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Odo3
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

DMoore's comments are bang-on. I had a 997 GTS (manual) and traded it for a 991 2S (PDK). Also tracked the GTS, but not the 991 yet. The 991 ride is better and quieter, as cool as they looked - glad not to have centre-lock wheels, and the e-steering is great. Glad I moved to the 991 with PDK.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Lets revive this thread. I think it's a great topic that didn't seem to get much attention.

As i'm approaching 58,000 miles i'm thinking about what's next. I don't want to DD a 997 with over 90,000 miles so i'm starting my research now.

997 GTS PDK or 991 PDK. Any new insights on how these compare on the track?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Para82
Lets revive this thread. I think it's a great topic that didn't seem to get much attention. As i'm approaching 58,000 miles i'm thinking about what's next. I don't want to DD a 997 with over 90,000 miles so i'm starting my research now. 997 GTS PDK or 991 PDK. Any new insights on how these compare on the track?
On the track the 991 will destroy the GTS. However, I actually like the looks of the 997.2 GTS better than the 991. Love those wide hips.

Quick Reply: 997 GTS vs. 991 S