Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY Headers on 991 - i hope there still OK!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would replace, those are gonna leak.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I would replace, those are gonna leak.
my local shop removed em to check, and the metal used is just insane... they tried with all their might to heat em up and they dont budge at all... we finally ruled no way in hell they would leak.

some people have several impacts that cause cracks where it mounts to engine, that is a concern... but easy to spot the spiders around the welds..

no clue what porsche makes the headers from, but if you you saw what they threw at it... i swear it's "unobtainium" ... i would hate to have to weld up a crack...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 450 Likes on 200 Posts

So why isn't this a car insurance claim? Seems to me that this damage is a collision type claim and may be small enough or of a type that may not increase premiums
Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
So why isn't this a car insurance claim? Seems to me that this damage is a collision type claim and may be small enough or of a type that may not increase premiums
My insurance told me its not a Collison

There for I have to pay myself
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

That would not fall under a claim for Collison... but if you pushed it you might be able to get it under comp.... But really not worth the trouble.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LC MotorSports
That would not fall under a claim for Collison... but if you pushed it you might be able to get it under comp.... But really not worth the trouble.
Yes, you may be correct. I suggest that you review the policy's definitions section and go from there. I had a client who once drove a Mercedes through a deep puddle. The intake "intook" water, passed it along to the cylinder head and boom cracked everything as water cannot be compressed. Insurance covered the loss.

Worth the loss....? 4500? I'd say it is.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Yes, you may be correct. I suggest that you review the policy's definitions section and go from there. I had a client who once drove a Mercedes through a deep puddle. The intake "intook" water, passed it along to the cylinder head and boom cracked everything as water cannot be compressed. Insurance covered the loss.

Worth the loss....? 4500? I'd say it is.

His initial statement "I was driving pretty fast one day and there was a dip in the road -- kinda scary --" may create a bit of a challenge as far as getting it covered by insurance. They might claim that he was operating the car beyond the scope of what Porsche intended when they designed the car's location of the headers. Lacking some sort of hazard in the road that jumped up and hit the headers, it is easy to see that the car bottomed out and that can only happen as a result of the conditions he described.

Sure, there's a chance the insurance company would never find that statement. Just like most things on the internet stay private.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont understand why someone would risk raising their premiums over such an incident anyways.. maybe i'm the only one with super high deductibles because i learned to basically never make a claim... because you end up paying for it one way or another.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
SUNNY991
Intermediate

What is comp??
Old 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

comprehensive
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

What Does Comprehensive Insurance Cover for My Car?

Covers all events not typically covered by collision insurance
Covers personal items that are inside of the car at the time of a loss, including clothing or other items
Covers for fire, theft, flood or vandalism
Covers for damages to the glass and may cover for damages to the finish
Covers for damages incurred when you hit an animal. While technically a collision, this is usually not covered by other types of insurance.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

What Does Comprehensive Insurance Cover for My Car?

Covers all events not typically covered by collision insurance
Covers personal items that are inside of the car at the time of a loss, including clothing or other items
Covers for fire, theft, flood or vandalism
Covers for damages to the glass and may cover for damages to the finish
Covers for damages incurred when you hit an animal. While technically a collision, this is usually not covered by other types of insurance.
File a complaint with your state insurance commission...it's collision. Damage to an insured vehicle is either compensable or excluded. An example of excluded coverage would be damage caused intentionally, by fraud, racing and/or in the course of war or criminal activity. Seems to me that if you have collision and comprehensive coverage, damage to the vehicle that is not expressly "excluded" is covered.

At our firm we refer to insurance companies as "legalized and organized crime" and adjusters as "criminals" as it is our opinion that they exist to deny claims or delay payment of claims.

Your damage took place during the ordinary course of the operation of the vehicle. Your actions were presumably not one of those in the "excluded" category, so the damage has to be included and compensable. If you ran over a deer resultant damage would be covered. If your car hit a man(or person)hole cover or steel road drain that was sticking up, resultant damage would be covered. Your insurance company is screwing with you. File a complaint with your state insurance commission. Do it today.

If you need help interpreting the policy, hire a lawyer. Ask the lawyer if you can sue the insurance company for a bad faith rejection of a claim.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Getting a lawyer will not change that this is not a collision claim.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Your damage took place during the ordinary course of the operation of the vehicle.
If Tino Kluck can run the 38th fastest lap ever around the Nordschleif (7:37.9) in a 991 C2S without bottoming out the car, calling the damage an "insurable collision" in the ordinary course of operation is going to be a challenge to get Porsche or a court to agree.

With all due respect to the OP ...........really?

It's Porsche's fault?

Last edited by TTCarrera; 04-04-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: MY Headers on 991 - i hope there still OK!