Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use auto car wash for your 991?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my Silver 997.1 thru a local wash with no ill effects. but i hand wash my new car as its color will show up any small imperfections in the paint more than the silver. i actually enjoy the process, bought a griots orbital buffer as well.
re convertible top care, I bought some products from detailers domain, a site sponsor i believe. they have a cleaning product and a spray to re water proof/protect the top. I think its called ragtop or something.
in fact, drop me a PM, i think i have some unused products that i can send you.
cheers

Last edited by limey940; 04-01-2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another question how do we get hot water out of a backyard garden hose? I wash at home usually but would love to know I scold the hose, but he just doesn't listen.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

I've asked dealer not to wash my car let alone car washes. I do it myself, typically every other weekend. It's a good bonding time with the vehicle and little workout too
Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Techart_Dreamer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a guy hand washing my car, sat there and watched him, to see if I could get away with having him do it from there on, save myself some time. It was all great until it came to drying, he dropped the micro he was using on the ground, shook it out, then was about to use it again. "Alright, that's good," is all I had to say, grabbed my keys and left. Dried the rest of the car at my house.

Sadly the only person you can trust for a quality controlled wash, is yourself, or a pro.

-Markus-
Old 04-01-2013, 04:26 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Another question how do we get hot water out of a backyard garden hose? I wash at home usually but would love to know I scold the hose, but he just doesn't listen.
You can't be serious?!?! Surely you know not to use hot water as it can remove wax?

The problem with questions like this is you can't really answer the question because you never really know where people are coming from. In this case its even harder because some auto car washes are pretty darn good. I mean, even Porsche has one! All I can say is if you can be happy with a merely clean car and convenience is a priority then hit the car wash and never look back. But if on the other hand your priority is a car that glows with a buttery gleam and don't mind the effort (which, let's face it, being a Porsche its not an effort but a privilege) then you have much to learn, grasshopper.

And okay, yes, I have used hot water. But it was snowing. There was ice in the hose. And even then not really hot just warm enough to prevent frostbite.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default For slightly dusty but not really dirty....

If my car is basically clean but there is a layer of dust on the paint surface, I use a polymer called "No Rinse wash and shine" made by Optimum Polymer Technologies (www.optimumcarcare.com).
All you do is fill a bucket will deionized water, add a cap full of the polymer and using a microfiber towel, wash the car one panel at a time. You dry that panel with another microfiber towel. It takes less than 1 gallon of deionized water and about 15 minutes to get a scatch-free wash with no water.
Works great. It should not be used when you have a lot of grime, birdturd,etc. The you have to do a full wash.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Hahahahaha! Thank the gods I'm lazy.

Free yo' mind.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
owng
Advanced

Hand wash at home every 2-3 weeks, 2 buckets ( one with water for rinse, one with soap), rinse with pressure washer, use foam canon, and foam sponge. Never circular motion. Wash from top to bottom and front to back. Save back bumper for last because most dirty part of the car.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pluses and minuses here in MD. We have a really great car wash that filters the water well and has a hard working crew of non English speaking soft towel wielding detailers at the back end. I can't do in two hours what happens there in 20 minutes. They do car, windows in and out a vacuum all for $16. After weekly visits with my silver Audi A6 wagon, it still looks new. I would never take my P car in the cold months because of the salt. Filters do zip to remove salt. Salt and aluminum don't do well together. In the warm months I enjoy washing my Porsches. I'm not a a DIY guy, so it's how I bond with my car.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 AM
adamsclubs
Advanced

I am a DIY person but don't want to spend the time wash my car. Maybe I will find a car wash place where they have non-English speaking detailers who can do a better job, but don't they still have to run the car through auto wash first?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
rbrenn
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Silly question perhaps, but what do all of you hand wash guys do in the winter?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbrenn
Since I live in Florida, there really is no winter. But seriously, If the car doesn't get too dirty, just dusty, you canwash it panel by panel with polymer and water in the garage, Salt,etc in the winter would be another story.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
goatboy
Racer

I have three seperate micro-fiber mitts, one for the top half of the car, one for the bottom half, one for the inside of the fender lips, under side of the rocker panels and bumpers, wheels and tires (in that order). That and the two bucket technique really diminishes the scratches. But, my city water has sand in it. I found this out when fixing the toilet. I thought the black stuff in bottom of the tank was mold, but it was sand. I'll have a filter system in the new house.

I live in Flioriiduh now, but when I was in Virginia, I'd wash cars as long as it was above freezing with rubber gloves and boots, and a bucket of hot water. Water can get behind trim (espically rub strips and badges and freeze, pulling the trim loose). It does that when it rains or snows and freezes, but washing forces water into places where it wouldn't get naturally.

I now have a 1.75 car garage with a 16-foot wide single door and a sloped floor. My problem now is sunlight and heat. So, I generally spray the car off outside, and then wash, rince, and dry the car in the garage. My hose nozzle has a SHOWER setting and a throttle valve, so I can rince the car off without water splashing everywhere inside the garage.

I played hooky from work this morning and washed the M3 before swapping it out for the nasty Cobalt for commuting the rest of the week. It's going to rain here tomorrow through Friday. But, Saturday morning I willl have a clean M3 to drive.

Those Russian dash camera crash videos are cool, but those filthy cars depress me.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,418 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
don't mind the effort (which, let's face it, being a Porsche its not an effort but a privilege)
oh for christs sake. there isnt a emoticon big enough for comments this ridiculous
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrenn
Suffer

I wait until the temperature exceeds 45f, use warm water in the wash bucked and the two rinse buckets. Yes two, one red one white.

Quick Reply: Anyone use auto car wash for your 991?