Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still wash your Porsche yourself?-Must read (especially black cars)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 PM
yonkers
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a CR Spotless but ever since I put in my home water softener I've just been using that. Seems to work well enough.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just realized that I haven't washed my car since June. I also never give it much thought when I do, I haven't checked but I'm sure I have swirl marks and water spots galore. Don't care...
Old 01-04-2014, 08:56 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I just realized that I haven't washed my car since June. I also never give it much thought when I do, I haven't checked but I'm sure I have swirl marks and water spots galore. Don't care...
Don't you know that a clean Porsche is much faster than a dirty one?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
I use holy water from Lourde and after i am done I can see rainbows reflecting back at me on my back car
You probably wash and dry the car with towels sewn from only the softest pubic hair from a unicorn... I know I do.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Lonnie, your location shows Boca Raton-Santa Monica. Both locations have a lot of very highly mineralized water. Well water in general is awful. Probably posted this already. Oh well. The guys saying don't worry or just dry it off probably have no idea how bad water spotting can be. I was down by Santa Monica on a trip and could not believe how bad spots would form even while I was still washing. This was during the Historics and there was a line of cars at a dealer offering free deionized water washes. Being from Washington state I thought it was a waste of time. Not any more. Not with that water. Enjoy your deionizer. Its practically a requirement with the water you have.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the perfect complement for your deionizer from Costco:

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Fo...B-3CD/overview

Wayne Carini uses in on Chasing Classic Cars, so you know it has to be good!!!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninetynine996
One of the top Porsche restoration guys in the country, John Paterek, once told me told me he only uses old towels to dry his Porsches. The older and softer the the better....washes his 356s and dries them with a couple of old soft bath towels...FYI...John is God when it comes to paint work....do a Google search. You really don't need to spend all this money on de-ionisers and leaf blowers....I have 32 year old paint on my 911SC
that looks new.....just my 2 cents
You're correct about using seasoned, cotton bath towels: they dry the car just fine as long as you keep them grit free and use a proper drying technique.

I personally use an electric leaf blower and avoid wiping the car with towels.

Water spotting becomes problematic when attempting to wash a car in direct sunlight, which is a no-no.

I
Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
... He tested my water and found it had 40-50ppm of iron and other minerals in it. ...
40-50 ppm is not exactly considered hard water, not even moderately hard. In fact, it's in the soft range.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:09 AM
bboerit
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

As I've posted before, the CR Spotless plus the Master Blaster are the two best purchases I've made since getting my C2S. I always keep it Zaino'ed and with the Master Blaster, I've never needed to towel the car... Finish is 100% scratch free... I could not recommend enough...
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bboerit
As I've posted before, the CR Spotless plus the Master Blaster are the two best purchases I've made since getting my C2S. I always keep it Zaino'ed and with the Master Blaster, I've never needed to towel the car... Finish is 100% scratch free... I could not recommend enough...
Totally agree - although I use a Chemical Guys Hot Air Dryer

m33
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Harold1898
Advanced

Bought my car new in June 2013 and have only ever washed it once. Don't want to wear out the paint!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
FWIW- A friend that owns a high end body and paint shop says to never, never dry you car with a leaf blower. Says it will shoot particles that are in the air on to the car and scratch it. I was very disappointed to hear this as I couldn't wait to dry my car this way.
So i guess your friend only drives his car in a zero gravity / particle free environment !!!! :-)
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Master Blaster looks great. Presently I use a Leaf blower that can generate 200mph air stream. I've had not issues with it doing any damage to the paint.
Again, one of the most important things NOT to do in keeping your car clean is to do "touch up" spot cleaning, It's very tempting to want to clean a small area that gets dirty when the rest of the car is clean, DO NOT DO IT!. Better to wait when you are cleaning the whole car. The only exception is if you decide to clean a small section of the car solely with liquid polymer in a small amount of deionized water. Then dry with a microfiber towel.

To those who don't care about swirls, small scratches, etc. With a black car all of those blemishes tend to make the finish look very cloudy and the paint loses a lot of its luster. Looks like s...t.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

I see most of you are all doing this all wrong.

1. I only use imported my water from a Monastery in Tibet - It's the only factory approved water
2. Towels are hand made in an India village from Lama's specifically breed for their unique coats
3. Air dry is an ancient ritual (I have been sworn to secrecy) that I learned only after an extensive vetting process that Porsche allowed me to attend

Last edited by 996AE; 06-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM
eisenb11
Advanced

Been using a cr spotless for years and they're great. As long as you keep the car wet so the water doesn't dry and leave behind hard water stains, you can use it for just the final rinse so it lasts longer. As for drying, I use a Toro electric leaf blower. I look like an idiot while using it, but it beats using towels and such.

I also have a water softerener as well, but you still want to use the deionizer because the water softener ion exchange process introduces sodium into the water.

Quick Reply: Still wash your Porsche yourself?-Must read (especially black cars)