Sponsored by:

Easy to dent!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Easy to dent!!

Just be careful with this car when washing lads!! It doesn't take much to dent a panel on this car

That's all I'm going to say on the matter
Old 03-26-2013, 04:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hopefully PDR is your answer.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM
veilsideLGD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do notice that for regular black 991, the paint is really delicate and soft. Easy to dent and soft paint is not a good combination for durability :O
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

You have to give us a smidge more than that!!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Well this is the second time it's happened since I picked her up end of December. First time was trying to get a nasty bird ****e off the car on the rear panel and the second time now is both sloping pillars above the side rear windows after getting it washed by polish lads(I use her daily and I couldn't get time to wash her and I needed the salt off). It's doing my f**ckin **** in to say the least. I have to say NOBODY can see the dents but I. Know they are there. Should get them out ok tomorrow but ill need to be more careful.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:17 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Hmmmm.. You might have to add this aftermarket option, but I'm not sure if it will void the factory warranty.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Originally Posted by duxsi
Hmmmm.. You might have to add this aftermarket option, but I'm not sure if it will void the factory warranty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kW5eWk9g4
No use probably as the bonnet would then get dented by the pigeon
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Live and learn, Bigra, live and learn: NEVER use pressure on the painted surfaces of your car. The most pressure that should ever be used is when removing wax or polish, and even then it will be far less than anything that would come even close to being able to dent a body panel. Instead of pressure, use water, car wash, or detail spray, and lots of gentle back and forth agitation. Removing goop like you're talking about, its important to turn the cleaning cloth frequently in order to keep a clean cloth always on the paint. Otherwise you're just grinding the dirt into the paint. Sometimes it may be necessary to use car wash full strength, and for really tough stuff there's always 3M bug and tar remover. When it seems most of the dirt is gone but a little stubborn left try paint cleaning clay. The general idea always being to use the least pressure while allowing the water, chemistry and clean microfiber cloth to remove the dirt. Sometimes this will mean leaving crap on there until you get home and have the time and gear to do it right. A hassle, yes, but probably less than scratched paint, or dented panels.

Hopefully a good paintless dent removal guy can get you back to looking good again. Cheers!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 AM
Bigfra
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
Live and learn, Bigra, live and learn: NEVER use pressure on the painted surfaces of your car. The most pressure that should ever be used is when removing wax or polish, and even then it will be far less than anything that would come even close to being able to dent a body panel. Instead of pressure, use water, car wash, or detail spray, and lots of gentle back and forth agitation. Removing goop like you're talking about, its important to turn the cleaning cloth frequently in order to keep a clean cloth always on the paint. Otherwise you're just grinding the dirt into the paint. Sometimes it may be necessary to use car wash full strength, and for really tough stuff there's always 3M bug and tar remover. When it seems most of the dirt is gone but a little stubborn left try paint cleaning clay. The general idea always being to use the least pressure while allowing the water, chemistry and clean microfiber cloth to remove the dirt. Sometimes this will mean leaving crap on there until you get home and have the time and gear to do it right. A hassle, yes, but probably less than scratched paint, or dented panels.

Hopefully a good paintless dent removal guy can get you back to looking good again. Cheers!
Yeah chuck, I suppose your right. Still really easy to dent compared to any previous car I have owned.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Ease off the deer antler gel, too.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't stand on the roof!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Okay, alright, but who hasn't gone through the 911 learning curve at one time or another? When I got my first 911 and wanted to shine it up real good I started by scrubbing all the rubber parts with the same brush I'd been using on my tires. Cleaned the rubber real good- but left nasty scratches in the nearby paint. Learned the hard way how important it is to always use the most gentle, least abrasive techniques if you want the paint to gleam with perfection. Now granted using enough pressure to dent metal seems crazy excessive. Then again, who hasn't been trying to remove some stubborn polish and pressed hard enough to flex the hood? The thing to do of course is spray some detailer and it will wipe right off. But who knew that going in? That's why I say live and learn. At least with detailing. With driving its more like learn .... if you want to live!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a paint product called "Rejex" and it makes the paint so darn slippery that you would be able to remove practically anything with little or no pressure.
Give Rejex a try. It also lasts much longer than regular wax, around 6-8 months.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Might give that rejex a try. Maybe it's cause us scots are a bit stronger than you lads across the pond
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Once the car has been clayed, polished and waxed then just about anything should clean off pretty easily. Even tree sap, if not left on too long, will come off with undiluted Griot's Car Wash. The only thing that should be a problem is etching caused by acid in some bugs or bird droppings. That's why its always a good idea to wash these off fairly quickly. Once its etched or stained in the only answer is to polish it out. For pressure, try placing an egg between your hand and a folded towel. If you break the egg, back off! Or if you have a 9 yr old scot, probably about equal to your average America weakling.... I mean the girls of course, not a lad, heavens no....

Quick Reply: Easy to dent!!