Sponsored by:

Amber turn signal euro tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:58 PM
jkhatri
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amber turn signal euro tail lights

I don't know why, but I really prefer amber rear turn signals. To me a red rear turn signal just screams cynical, built to a budget American appliance i.e. Chevy Cobalt.hilarious

For the past decades it seems that all the Euro makes have been sending over cars with red rear turn signals. I am assuming it makes it easier to meet some arbitrary Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.

Has anyone here swapped out their stock US tail lights for euro units? US cars flash both the brake light and turn signal to indicate a turn. So a euro light installed on an American car would flash red and amber. To avoid this the car needs to be recoded. My local dealer wants to charge me an hour labor to try but makes no guarantees. Just wondering if anyone has done this and knows what I need to tell the dealer to reprogram. There is a lot of detaied info on the Audi/VW forums on this subject that I used to reprogram my S4 Avant. No luck on the Porsche forums. Maybe someone in Europe with a US spec 991 knows?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:03 AM
andrewinla
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am with you 100%!
Red turn signals represent the lazy US automaker who didn't want to add amber turn signals.
Amber stands out and is very clear the person is changing lanes or turning.

I am glad to have a 997 which blinks amber.
In the past if a car did not have amber signals I got the Euro version and did it that way.

My 2005.5 S4 was amber, now they are all red sadly.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:35 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amber or Red tail lights???? Which way to go?

It seems that this question has been around all my Porsche life. It started for me back in 1971 when all the american 911 cars (T,E, and S) had red tail lights and it was "cool" to have the German amber lights. It all boils down to a matter of taste and personal esthetics. I happened to like the red tail lights. That's my opinion but there are amber, clear, as well as red. Fortunately with Porsche they will allow you to follow your fancy and get what you want. So, regardless of what anyone else says, the bottom line is what do you like? Then go with it.

Quick Reply: Amber turn signal euro tail lights