Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprise - the PSE is LOUD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:41 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the valves are open on a stock CS4 does it sound different than the PSE when open (I assume it does} ? I ask this because people here have remarked that PSE when closed sounds much like stock.The sound I like the best on the stock unit is a kind of bark it makes on aggressive downshifts. I am trying to rationalize the 4k on the retrofit.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by trysixty
If it's louder when the PSE is off, i'm going to tell my wife "the $3k noisy exhaust" is just a figure of her imagination and to call you if she doesn't believe it. Same with all the neighbors who take refuge in their homes when i drive the speed limit with the PSE on.
Lol.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

nicoli, so how did replacing the side mufflers work with the PSE intact......louder,same,quieter??? which brand did u finally go with fabspeed??
Old 05-08-2014, 02:04 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
When the valves are open on a stock CS4 does it sound different than the PSE when open (I assume it does} ? I ask this because people here have remarked that PSE when closed sounds much like stock.The sound I like the best on the stock unit is a kind of bark it makes on aggressive downshifts. I am trying to rationalize the 4k on the retrofit.
Since PSE can open the valves at low RPM you will get more decel and downshift noises in normal driving.
Im thinking you could add the console switch and associated reprogramming and achieve nearly the same effect, with the standard exhaust.
You might try that first, before changing the exhaust hardware.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lunarx
Since PSE can open the valves at low RPM you will get more decel and downshift noises in normal driving.
Im thinking you could add the console switch and associated reprogramming and achieve nearly the same effect, with the standard exhaust.
You might try that first, before changing the exhaust hardware.
Yes this is the question I was sneaking up on. When the car is warming up at 1100 rpm's it sounds like the exhaust valves are open then the idle drops down to 800 rpm's and the valves close off. What would happen if one could control that and how much different would it be from PSE?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:17 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Yes this is the question I was sneaking up on. When the car is warming up at 1100 rpm's it sounds like the exhaust valves are open then the idle drops down to 800 rpm's and the valves close off. What would happen if one could control that and how much different would it be from PSE?
I also, hate that loud warm-up routine.
After my exhaust got fixed, I checked and it was in quiet mode (only 1 tail pipe) during warm-up.
I think they alter timing & fuel in addition to the raised RPM to make all that ridiculous racket.
It sounds horrible, but it is all about getting the cats up to temp as soon as possible.
I wonder if non-US cars also have to endure this painful ritual.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also, hate that loud warm-up routine. After my exhaust got fixed, I checked and it was in quiet mode (only 1 tail pipe) during warm-up. I think they alter timing & fuel in addition to the raised RPM to make all that ridiculous racket. It sounds horrible, but it is all about getting the cats up to temp as soon as possible. I wonder if non-US cars also have to endure this painful ritual.
Lol! You'd love to be *my* neighbor....
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Lol! You'd love to be *my* neighbor....
Your set-up looks loud

How do you like the Headers and 200CEL cats?

I am thinking of an aftermarket center section, but not a center bypass.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your set-up looks loud How do you like the Headers and 200CEL cats? I am thinking of an aftermarket center section, but not a center bypass.
I like headers and cats a lot, but it would throw a CEL which it shouldn't. I ended up installing O2 sensor extenders and that did the trick.

It is def on the very loud side, and sometimes it is borderline obnoxious. My neighbors are good sports about it though.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also, hate that loud warm-up routine.
After my exhaust got fixed, I checked and it was in quiet mode (only 1 tail pipe) during warm-up.
I think they alter timing & fuel in addition to the raised RPM to make all that ridiculous racket.
It sounds horrible, but it is all about getting the cats up to temp as soon as possible.
I wonder if non-US cars also have to endure this painful ritual.
Closed loop mode is the same on all cars worldwide. The engine runs a bit weird until open loop mode begins.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I also, hate that loud warm-up routine. After my exhaust got fixed, I checked and it was in quiet mode (only 1 tail pipe) during warm-up. I think they alter timing & fuel in addition to the raised RPM to make all that ridiculous racket. It sounds horrible, but it is all about getting the cats up to temp as soon as possible. I wonder if non-US cars also have to endure this painful ritual.
Yep, euro car here, same ritual... And loving iT :-)

Quick Reply: Surprise - the PSE is LOUD!