Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rector Porsche anybody know these clowns?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Rector Porsche anybody know these clowns?

..they are not actual clowns, that is a statement of opinion....

I was looking for a black console cover, Googled it and found the rector porsche parts website.

I sent an email to the part's department and asked "Do you have the center console in black?"

I received a response the next day. They provided a schematic of the entire console and provided a price for another part.

I responded referencing the drawing, saying "part 15/16 with Porsche Crest in black"

They responded saying:

"Console Storage Lid
991 553 982 01 A11
$247.42
Special order
ETA 1 week"

I responded saying "Huh? It's significantly less on your website. My original question was whether it was available in black."

Their reply:

"Which website are you visiting. On our website www.porschepartsnationwide.com the price is listed at $222.68. Please use the part number provided to check on the price. There is a possibility that we are looking at different parts.

The information that I’ve provided from the previous email is for the console storage lid in black without decorative stitching and with the crest."

I provided a screen shot of their website and said "Nope. It's $180.63"

I then said "What I do not understand are the two prices you quoted before...here, your website says msrp is 212.50"

They responded "Unfortunately, we are unable to order this part. It is on back order at the moment and we have not been given an ETA for this part."

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I called and spoke with another parts guy to order the part. He said that there was "one" in the US warehouse; he could not guarantee that part and said that he could order one from Germany; that it would take 3 to 6 weeks.

I spoke with the Parts Manager and apparently they changed the website. the part is now listed as $212.50 - see second screen shot.

Last edited by rnl; 04-27-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't dealt with their parts department but when I was looking to purchase a 991 a couple of months ago I emailed several dealers, Rector included, asking if they would sell me my build at a certain price. Never received even the courtesy of a response so that tells you something about them. Many, many dealers couldn't or wouldn't meet my price but had the good manners to offer a response. Not Rector. Forever on my DO NOT DO BUSINES WITH list. Even if I move right down the street from them.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Reminds me of the woman who asks the price of calves liver. Butcher says "four dollars a pound, ma'am."

She is shocked: "Joe's meat market has it for three dollars a pound."

"What can I say. Why didn't you buy it there?"

"Well, they're out of liver right now."

"Lady, when I'm out of liver, it's only two dollars a pound!"

Let me suggest a known-reliable source: Suncoast Porsche in Florida. Call and talk to them. I've found them honest and knowledgeable. You'll get the right part for your car.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
Goldenappple (01-19-2020)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your original post gives me a headache.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Buddhabelly
Your original post gives me a headache.
Sorry. Next time I will try for pithy, witty and clever
Old 02-12-2013, 09:09 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Rectal Porsche, now there's your problem!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Rector has a pretty good team of techs in service.
Some of the guys there are active club racers and know their stuff.
I've taken a 996 GT3 there with good results. At that time, Peter Smith was at Rector, but I don't know if he's there now.
I've bought parts there, including ordering stuff and finding discounted stuff.
I'm not really advocating Rector, just to say, of the six Porsche dealers in a 30 mile radius, Rector is okay.
For knowledgeable and capable parts and service, I can recommend Fletcher Jones Porsche, Fremont.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Really, who cares?
Its a website by a dealer's parts department. What do you expect?
All this dribble for a $30 discrepancy?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rnl-love posts like yours as it helps all of us here on the forum be exposed to the good and the bad of Porsche ownership. Just like life there are things that will frustrate us and sometimes it’s good to be less than perfectly polite in expressing those frustrations. But of course there will always be those that don’t get it, and while a particular post may not be their cup of tea, they somehow just can’t resist the temptation to chime in and deride the concern of someone else. Always baffles me. Just because a person thinks another is getting in to a bit of a twist over a small amount of money, let’s say $30, they believe that getting in to said twist is absurd and their judgmental little fingers head towards the keyboard rather than stay in the pockets of their pants like they should.
So, rnl, keep them coming when you feel the need and know that not all on here are compelled to satisfy some immature inner voice and post something along the lines of “who cares?”or "it gives me a headache" when a problem is put forth. We care, mainly because we share a common interest and also because we understand that even though the subject is not necessarily important to us, we acknowledge it is important to another. And if we can’t be big enough to acknowledge that, may I suggest just STFU.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You might check with Sunset here in Beaverton
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GJ
Really, who cares?
Its a website by a dealer's parts department. What do you expect?
All this dribble for a $30 discrepancy?
The issue is integrity not cost. Our purchase of a 991 tends to show that we value quality and integrity and are willing to pay for those attributes.

I posted this thread as I was seeking out anecdotal feedback about this dealer. Did my experience come from one of their bad days or, in the alternative, are they just scum preying on Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Let me suggest a known-reliable source: Suncoast Porsche in Florida. Call and talk to them. I've found them honest and knowledgeable. You'll get the right part for your car.

Gary
Originally Posted by pdxjim
You might check with Sunset here in Beaverton
^^^+1 to both Sunset and Suncoast. I've had good experiences with each when I want genuine Porsche.

Quick Reply: Rector Porsche anybody know these clowns?