Sponsored by:

new Porsche Cayman any day over 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Conversely, I have a hard time understanding why the 911 shouldn't be called a 911. Should the M3 not be called M3 because is it no longer "true" to the E30?
Not a great example; Porsche started giving their cars and trucks names rather than numbers with the 911's replacement platform, the 986/996. And the M3 is no longer called the M3 - it will be the M4 when it debuts, the new M3 being a 4-door sedan, which the E30 M3 obviously never was.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 147 Posts

I don't think the M3 has evolved any more or less closely to its original over its (granted, shorter) lifespan. Are there similar debates over on BMW forums every time a new one is out? That it is no longer a true M3?
Ha ha, are you kidding? You bet there are - going from a relatively lightweight 4-cylinder homologation special to a comfy 2-pedal V8 sedan, fatter and faster with each generation.

What you don't see are people deriding and dismissing the 1M coupe - lighter, smaller, but with shared components and a lower MSRP - as something you would only buy if you cannot afford an M3. In fact, just the opposite - truth be told, the 1M is trading well above M3 prices due to demand because BMW enthusiasts realize that lighter, smaller, and better packaging makes for a more entertaining car, even if it has less power, less impressive stats on paper, and a less impressive badge.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,449 Likes on 2,531 Posts

I see the 911 as a practical car with sort of a back seat and small but surpisingly useful trunk, but with sharp performance which rivals many other sports cars. Porsche has stayed faithful to that concept, and there are good indications that the next 16 variants of the 991 will be impressive.
You can define '911' however you want, but I and some others don't feel that your definition captures the essence of the 911.

And the performance doesn't just rival many other sports cars, it surpasses the vast majority of them.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
You can define '911' however you want, but I and some others don't feel that your definition captures the essence of the 911.

And the performance doesn't just rival many other sports cars, it surpasses the vast majority of them.
Wow...the coolaide is strong with this one. I've owned a few 911s and driven just about every version and every sports car under the sun (comes with owning magazines and employing automotive writers/reviewers) and I can tell you you're overstating the situation.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Wow...the coolaide is strong with this one. I've owned a few 911s and driver just about every version and every sports car under the sun (comes with owning magazines and employing automotive writers/reviewers) and I can tell you you're overstating the situation.
Which part?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Which part?
The "...it surpasses the fast majority of them..." part.

Don't get me wrong, I like 911s. They have, or at least had, a very unique feel but I think it's just that...a unique feel.

Arguably you could say that the feel of a 911 and the sensation of driving it surpasses the that of the vast majority of its competitors...for you.

I can honestly say, however, that I've had just as much driving everything from a Mini Cooper and a RAM SRT-10 to a VW GTi to a Bugatti Veyron as I've had in my 911s. Which makes me reluctant to accept that particular statement.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The "...it surpasses the fast majority of them..." part.

Don't get me wrong, I like 911s. They have, or at least had, a very unique feel but I think it's just that...a unique feel.

Arguably you could say that the feel of a 911 and the sensation of driving it surpasses the that of the vast majority of its competitors...for you.

I can honestly say, however, that I've had just as much driving everything from a Mini Cooper and a RAM SRT-10 to a VW GTi to a Bugatti Veyron as I've had in my 911s. Which makes me reluctant to accept that particular statement.
By one widely used measure, the 911 does very well: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

By one widely used measure, the 911 does very well: http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
By that measure...yes it does.

Like I said, I love them. I've owned three and I think I'll order a 991.

But I don't hold it in any higher esteem than an R8, a GTR, a GTi, a Corvette, etc...etc... Or a Cayman for that matter...
Old 02-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

By that measure...yes it does.

Like I said, I love them. I've owned three and I think I'll order a 991.

But I don't hold it in any higher esteem than an R8, a GTR, a GTi, a Corvette, etc...etc... Or a Cayman for that matter...
Certainly agreed that there are many great cars out there, sports cars and otherwise.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

As we get to drive it, we shall find out if the new Cayman captures the essence of the old Cayman, or if it really should be called something else.

On looks alone, I liked the old back window more, over the new more convex design, which, IMO, makes it look more fast back and less like a Cayman.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point here. I know results vary with cars per track, but the 911 has topped some elite competition on the Nordschleife.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 AM
toplabels
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have to say that the new boxster and cayman are beautiful cars and perform incredibly as a porsche should, but buying any one of these two instead of a 911 is a matter of preference and maybe economics. Buying a 911 because of the back seats in my opinion is not worth the thought. I know some want to put kids in the back and thats fine because God knows I do it occasionally.

My preference is a 911 because of its heritage and obviously its an incredible machine.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Knew it would great. But no room for my doggie.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't think I want to touch this one. Not only do I have friends on both sides of the issue, but it reminds me very much of a post today in another forum: "What," he asks, "is the role of Art in Society?" Jeez. Grab a book, fella. Grab an entire library stack.

"What is the Essence of the Neun-Elf" is another thesis type question. And if someone had time to write the answer, only a third of us would agree. Another third would... no, never mind. Best not to characterize the schisms. Let's just say we would not have a consensus.

Mine says 911 on the back and I have to settle for that. I never owned a 930 or a 964 or a 993, so I'm not entitled to an opinion on the genetics.

It does indeed. I think SharpMan didn't read what you wrote. Anyone who doubts that needs only to check the Road & Track road test history.

More along the lines of SharpMan's criterion (rewarding vehicles perhaps?), I can honestly say that my Cabriolet with the sport exhaust and the PDK and all its other tidbits is more fun than any car I've owned since our MG Midget in the sixties. That leaves out some pretty fun cars, like the Lotus Seven and the Mini-Cooper, that we enjoyed but never had to live with day in and day out.

Cindy's NSX was certainly her most enjoyable car:

but this Cabrio is mine. All the fun of that MG and I don't have to tear down the carburetors every weekend and tune them.

Gary
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

As we get to drive it, we shall find out if the new Cayman captures the essence of the old Cayman, or if it really should be called something else.

On looks alone, I liked the old back window more, over the new more convex design, which, IMO, makes it look more fast back and less like a Cayman.
I have a Cayman R, with many road and track miles on it. IMO, the Cayman is a great car but doesn't have a 'special essence' like the 911. To me, the Cayman concept is mid-engine, two seats, and roughly the current shape, so the new Cayman is still a Cayman.

Quick Reply: new Porsche Cayman any day over 911