991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Porsche Cayman any day over 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I don't recall the thread, but there was another post in this forum indicating that Porsche's market research shows that the Cayman and 911 don't compete too much for sales (and not just because of the price difference), so they may develop a Cayman GT3. I don't know how reliable that info is, but I hope it's true.

And IMO enthusiasts are rightly frustrated that Porsche doesn't offer a more powerful version of the Cayman. Regardless of supposed sales objectives, the Cayman and 911 are different platforms with a different feel (with some people preferring the Cayman platform), and there's much reason for someone to want a Cayman with more power.

Edit: Just found this, see 2nd to last paragraph - http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...nd_the_latest/
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

All this engineering and marketing! What a disappointment to the (self appointed) purist, let alone the customer who has been groomed to believe in the superiority of the last purchase. You might think Porsche was out to make money. Geesh.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:03 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't recall the thread, but there was another post in this forum indicating that Porsche's market research shows that the Cayman and 911 don't compete too much for sales (and not just because of the price difference), so they may develop a Cayman GT3. I don't know how reliable that info is, but I hope it's true.

And IMO enthusiasts are rightly frustrated that Porsche doesn't offer a more powerful version of the Cayman. Regardless of supposed sales objectives, the Cayman and 911 are different platforms with a different feel (with some people preferring the Cayman platform), and there's much reason for someone to want a Cayman with more power.

Edit: Just found this, see 2nd to last paragraph - http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...nd_the_latest/
Manifold - Thanks for sharring the article. I too have read from several sources that 911 and 981 buyers don't cross shop, but that hasn't been my experience. I purchased my first 911 in 1970 and have owned several others over the years, and I just placed an order for a 981S. Moreover, there are currently two 997s on a nearby Porsche dealer's lot that were traded in for the new Boxster S. Granted that this is a tiny sample, but it proves that at least some current 911 owners are willing to look at the 981S.

I don't expect that many 996 buyers cross shopped the Boxster, but I wonder if the same applies to the 991 and 981S where the performance of the two cars is very comparable. Time will tell and I'm certain that Porsche will be paying close attention.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
Manifold - Thanks for sharring the article. I too have read from several sources that 911 and 981 buyers don't cross shop, but that hasn't been my experience. I purchased my first 911 in 1970 and have owned several others over the years, and I just placed an order for a 981S. Moreover, there are currently two 997s on a nearby Porsche dealer's lot that were traded in for the new Boxster S. Granted that this is a tiny sample, but it proves that at least some current 911 owners are willing to look at the 981S.

I don't expect that many 996 buyers cross shopped the Boxster, but I wonder if the same applies to the 991 and 981S where the performance of the two cars is very comparable. Time will tell and I'm certain that Porsche will be paying close attention.
I certainly cross-shop the Cayman and 911, since the utility of both is comparable. But I'm hoping I'm (we're) in the minority, since a Cayman with more power would be compelling.

Though a somewhat different case, may be interesting to note that MB and BMW don't 'hold back' cars in this way. For example, performance of a C63 is far above a base E-class, just as peformance of an M3 is far above a base 5-series. And comparing say a C63 with E63 (top of the line for each series), the performance is comparable for both, but the E63 is more spacious and has more luxury features.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 AM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, no. I have two baby seats in the back and it works for kids just fine. 911S is my family car. Otherwise, I may have bought a Cayman S or R when it comes out, although I do much prefer the looks of 911.

Originally Posted by Hotmetal
The Cayman is the perfect 911. The 2 seats in the back of 911 is a joke. Maybe only less than 1% of the owners use these Lilliputian places. Put the 3.8 in the Cayman and there is no more reason to the 911 to exist. And for people who really want back seats, they can go with the Panamera or the Cayenne. I think that Porsche is in a funny situation ... little brother is getting stronger l
Old 02-11-2013, 10:56 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd buy a Cayman if it had the same engine as the 911's and I would love to see a Turbo version. It's just too pathetically under powered right now for me to spend that much money on one when I could get a 450hp/tq front-mid engined C7 with dry sump for less money.
I don't dig the new hatch either, I prefer the old style.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I cross shop among Porsche models and I can understand why they don't spec the Cayman with a more powerful engine. Nonetheless, the decision for me to go 911/991 versus the Cayman will not be about the engine spec; rather it will be about the desire to have two extra seats that can be used in a pinch.

What I'm certainly glad about is the prospect of a couple of Porsche models that are mid-engined and are market-positioned above the 911.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Our passions create some interesting posts. I had a Cayman S, went to a 997.2S, and now a 991S, all great cars. I am looking forward to driving the new Cayman and may even get one whlie keeping the 991. The 991 is a huge improvement over the 997 in terms of steering and balance, but the new Cayman may even top the 991.

We are lucky that Porsche has made a couple of great cars for us to enjoy. I don't see the gain in attacking one or the other, buy the one you want
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Mugatu
Track Day

Originally Posted by Manifold

I agree with this. They can make a Cayenne go from 50k to be affordable, to 150k for people who want performance. Just like they do in the 911 and the Panamera. So why not the Cayman? Contrary to what some on this thread believe, I don't agree that the 911 is the "Cayman+1"... they're entirely different cars. If you're a single guy with money, your only option for an upgraded engine is lugging around two vestigial back seats, in a bigger car, in a rear-engined format. Some people like the rear-engine, some people like the extra seats, but they are really NOT in the same market segment.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Two things:

1) If PAG offered a Box/Cayman RS with the 450 HP GT3 RS engine would you buy it instead of an RS - same price assumed. ALMS has shown us that the mid engined Audis and Ferrari have legs on the 911. There is a reason top tier race cars are mid engine.

2) The 960 will be the Ferrari/Audi fighter with a flat 8 between the axles. That will solve the 911 problem once and for all since it will be priced at a big premium to the 911.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
1) If PAG offered a Box/Cayman RS with the 450 HP GT3 RS engine would you buy it instead of an RS - same price assumed. ALMS has shown us that the mid engined Audis and Ferrari have legs on the 911. There is a reason top tier race cars are mid engine.
Essentially the same question I was just about to pose. Equip the new Cayman and a 991 identically, including the engine (at least the 3.8 in the S), and price them the same. Now how many would choose the Cayman vs 911? I suspect that quite a few people would choose the Cayman. I'd have to drive both to decide, ideally back to back, and on both road and track.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

If power is an issue , can't a few mods help get the Cayman where people think it should be?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
If power is an issue , can't a few mods help get the Cayman where people think it should be?
I'm still trying to determine how Porsche detunned the 350 HP 3.4 engine in the 991 to the 320 HP 3.4 engine in the Cayman. Theoretically it wouldn't take much: remapped ECU and more restrictive exhaust would do the trick.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I believe that I read somewhere that 911 owners don't cross shop Boxsters and Caymans, so the 911 will always have its legions of loyal owners.
Yes, there are plenty of people like this guy out there...
Originally Posted by carrerapete
I would've considered purchasing the new Cayman, but then I remembered that I was able to afford the 991S.
...but they are missing out on a fantastic driving experience in the mid-engined cars for the sake of their egos.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I'm still trying to determine how Porsche detunned the 350 HP 3.4 engine in the 991 to the 320 HP 3.4 engine in the Cayman. Theoretically it wouldn't take much: remapped ECU and more restrictive exhaust would do the trick.
If upgrading the power by a large amount, I'd also like to see upgrades to the brakes, trans, and whatever else needs to be beefed up. I assumed all of this when posing the hypothetical comparison of a Cayman vs 991 at the same price.

Quick Reply: new Porsche Cayman any day over 911