991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Dunlop SportMaxx Race comes in 265/35/19 and a 325/30/19. I think I might try it for a track set up. The sizes should be OK for the AWD system on my C4S. Not sure if the front will rub. Planning on adding some camber up front.

These sizes have not been officially released, I think you can only get AMG C63 sizes from the Tirerack.com.
Who else sells the SportMaxx Race?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Phenomenal thread, tons of great info! After a year off from doing DE events, just picked up a 991S and am planning on doing a few this year. Any thoughts on the OEM PZeroes on the track vs. Mich Supersports? I had the SS on my R8 and loved them, but never tracked that car.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Who else sells the SportMaxx Race?
Not sure who else sells them in North America, at least not the sizes we need yet.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by ajag
Phenomenal thread, tons of great info! After a year off from doing DE events, just picked up a 991S and am planning on doing a few this year. Any thoughts on the OEM PZeroes on the track vs. Mich Supersports? I had the SS on my R8 and loved them, but never tracked that car.
If driving at novice to intermediate level, I'd use the OEM tires until they're gone, then switch to Super Sports or whatever else you like.

If driving at an advanced level, the OEM tires might work, but keep a close eye on them to make sure you can get through the whole DE. An alternative is to use DOT R-comps.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

If driving at novice to intermediate level, I'd use the OEM tires until they're gone, then switch to Super Sports or whatever else you like.

If driving at an advanced level, the OEM tires might work, but keep a close eye on them to make sure you can get through the whole DE. An alternative is to use DOT R-comps.
The issue seems to be finding r-comps in our sizes. Aside from pure slicks, there doesn't seem to be much at a reasonable price.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People can choose their own priorities, but personally it doesn't make sense to me to pay a lot of $ for a great sports car and then never take it to the track, which is the only place where its capabilities can truly be experienced. If aesthetics is the priority, there are plenty of cheaper cars which look nice, are more practical, and more comfortable.
+1.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:16 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
The issue seems to be finding r-comps in our sizes. Aside from pure slicks, there doesn't seem to be much at a reasonable price.
Both R compound and "Extreme" performance tires(such as AD08s or RE-11s). I think more will become available, lets see what the new 991 GT3 comes with.

Seems like the new GT3 will use Dunlop Sport MAXX, 245/20 front 305/20 rear. 20s?????
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
Does anybody know if 19" wheels from a 997 fit a 991?
There is a guy how runs a 991S at Sebring some times on 19" Hoosier R6. He's using BBS Cup car wheels.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've run both the PSS and Pzero on my 991. I've done about 14 days on the PZero and only 2 on the PSS.

The PZero are fantastic in the dry and they've got a ton of heat cycles. I've found that they work best when run high pressures (like in the 45-48psi when hot). I know it sounds crazy, but I've found lap times actually go down when you have the pressures in the high thirties. They've worn extremely well (the revised suspension is surprising easy on the rear tires in particular), and are very predictable. I've run them on slightly wet days, and have found them to be good (easy to feel when grip is going), but not as good as the PSS. Honestly, I may run them again this year, I don't think the extra money for r-comps will equal a proportional amount of fun.

The PSS are monster tires in 'off' conditions. I ran them at a cold track (around 4C), which was slightly wet in the morning, and I was just blowing everyone away (I think that was the day STALKER99 decided to get a 991 ). The grip of those tires was just phenomenal. Very predictable and they wear well. I haven't tried them in 'good' dry conditions so I can't say if they'll be better than the PZero in the dry, but they are my wet tire of choice on the 991.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 AM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
There is a guy how runs a 991S at Sebring some times on 19" Hoosier R6. He's using BBS Cup car wheels.
Depends. The 991 has offsets somewhat similar to 997 wide body wheels, but you'll have to check twice to make sure the barrels clear the lower control arms in the rear of the 991. 997 narrow body offsets don't look like they'll work.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the informative response, I'll run the Pzeros until they're done and then swap to SS. 14 track days on the PZeros is impressive, how many sessions a day approx?

Originally Posted by shizzle
I've run both the PSS and Pzero on my 991. I've done about 14 days on the PZero and only 2 on the PSS.

The PZero are fantastic in the dry and they've got a ton of heat cycles. I've found that they work best when run high pressures (like in the 45-48psi when hot). I know it sounds crazy, but I've found lap times actually go down when you have the pressures in the high thirties. They've worn extremely well (the revised suspension is surprising easy on the rear tires in particular), and are very predictable. I've run them on slightly wet days, and have found them to be good (easy to feel when grip is going), but not as good as the PSS. Honestly, I may run them again this year, I don't think the extra money for r-comps will equal a proportional amount of fun.

The PSS are monster tires in 'off' conditions. I ran them at a cold track (around 4C), which was slightly wet in the morning, and I was just blowing everyone away (I think that was the day STALKER99 decided to get a 991 ). The grip of those tires was just phenomenal. Very predictable and they wear well. I haven't tried them in 'good' dry conditions so I can't say if they'll be better than the PZero in the dry, but they are my wet tire of choice on the 991.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the informative response, I'll run the Pzeros until they're done and then swap to SS. 14 track days on the PZeros is impressive, how many sessions a day approx?
Doing about 4 sessions a day. This includes 6 days (not sessions) at Calabogie which is known to be hard on tires, as well as 4 days at the Glen (post Grand-am repaving).

On a similar note, I was Pm'ed about the need for the third radiator. Frankly, i'm not convinced it's necessary (but I don't have the powerkit either). I ran in 38C air temperatures a few times last season, and never had any overheating issues (a few friends with E92 M3 ended up having their cars go into reduced power mode).

Quick Reply: Tracking the 991?