991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,434 Likes on 2,521 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Thx guys for the helmet info. I will get an SA.
Make sure its an SA 2010. That will give you 5 more years of potential use compared to a 2005. Also have someone who knows what they're doing fit it for you. It should be relatively snug, but still comfortable.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Good advice.

Seeing that you are in instructor, maybe I can venture north for some instruction in my 911....er, 991.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

For those who are new to the track or contemplating it, I highly recommend spending some time in the 'Racing and Drivers Education Forum' here at Rennlist. There are many people there with tons of experience (far more than me), including pro racing experience. I continue to learn a lot there.

And if you have a Porsche and have never tracked it, I highly recommend doing it. You'll learn what your car was designed to do, will learn to drive it, and will be a safer driver on the road. The upper limit of road driving is roughly the lower limit of track driving, so there's a whole new world to be discovered when you get to the track.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Only track I have driven so far is the one in my avatar. Not that I complain about that experience! But I am looking forward to some proper instruction.

Reading up on things there seems to be two schools of thought.

One seems to be more in the line of the UK track day. Drive what you bring and enjoy it.

The other side seems to be more "oh man, you are going to track your new(ish) car!?!? You will ruin the paint, you for sure need better brakes than the crappy cross drilled ones and..."...on and on.

I'd like to think that green group DE is a fairly doable thing, and this thread has been very helpful in reinforcing that thought.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

One seems to be more in the line of the UK track day. Drive what you bring and enjoy it.

The other side seems to be more "oh man, you are going to track your new(ish) car!?!? You will ruin the paint, you for sure need better brakes than the crappy cross drilled ones and..."...on and on.

I'd like to think that green group DE is a fairly doable thing, and this thread has been very helpful in reinforcing that thought.
The first one is correct. The second one is self-aggrandizing nonsense.

Gary
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Only track I have driven so far is the one in my avatar. Not that I complain about that experience! But I am looking forward to some proper instruction.

People can choose their own priorities, but personally it doesn't make sense to me to pay a lot of $ for a great sports car and then never take it to the track, which is the only place where its capabilities can truly be experienced. If aesthetics is the priority, there are plenty of cheaper cars which look nice, are more practical, and more comfortable.

Oh, and I haven't driven the 'ring, but it's very much on my bucket list. Don't be too disappointed when you see how much shorter and simpler (less to remember) other tracks are!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my first official DE event in my 991s at Roebling Road just before Christmas with PCA.
Had an incredible time, and I really understand now what PCA means when they talk about it being "about the people".
My instructor was incredible, and once i stopped trying to go fast i got faster!
I got bumped into the next group up on sunday and had tons of fun running with some very cool cars, including at GT3 RS.
Im going to do another one soon, and ive started the sales process on my wife/CFO about the reasons i need a dedicated race car.
I loved the PDK btw, it allowed me to focus on lines and braking without having to use limited brainpower on downshifting/heel toeing etc.

Last edited by limey940; 05-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
What were you driving, Adam? Carreras usually wear the inside tread area first on public roads, so a few days of tracking every year tends to even out the wear.

With my 997, I could tell something was wrong with the tire pressures so I arranged with another racing driver to do tire tests at an event. (Long procedure not worth describing.) We found that the pressures needed to be much lower than the users manual describes, which turns out to be because Porsche was specifying all cars for the pressures required in Autobahn driving. That is, sustained speeds above 165 mph. Apparently, PCNA asked for more realism because the manuals for the last couple of years have included a "low speed" or "comfort" specification, which is Porsche-Speak for only as fast you wimpy Americans drive on race tracks. "Up your pressures if you come here!" I promise. Meanwhile, use the 'comfort' setting for race tracks as well as public roads unless you plan to visit Le Mans.

But the point is, when we got the pressures right, we found that in race work, the tires still would benefit from increased negative camber. Leaning the wheel inward at the top, that is. Many people do that who track frequently, and everybody does who competes. I didn't find it important enough to change my wheel alignment, even within the stock range of adjustment, but I don't compete these days. Serious competitors change the suspension itself in ways that permit wider adjustment.

Again, I don't consider it necessary, and it's another of those "change the compromise" situations. The factory alignment spec is for public roads and the sort of driving we do on them. Changing it for track work, means it isn't right for public roads. The differences are subtle either way. I just prefer to keep my settings right for the roads where I do most of my driving with this car.

Gary
Originally Posted by limey940
I did my first official DE event in my 991s at Roebling Road just before Christmas with PCA.
Had an incredible time, and I really understand now what PCA means when they talk about it being "about the people".
My instructor was incredible, and once i stopped trying to go fast i got faster!
I got bumped into the next group up on sunday and had tons of fun running with some very cool cars, including at GT3 RS.
Im going to do another one soon, and ive started the sales process on my wife/CFO about the reasons i need a dedicated race car.
I loved the PDK btw, it allowed me to focus on lines and braking without having to use limited brainpower on downshifting/heel toeing etc.
Get out to Road Atlanta!!!! Its not too far from you and worth the drive, I use to live down south and have been to all the tracks. Road Atlanta is a blast, very fast track.
Just don't go to a NASA event there, too many cars, not enough track time.

Is everyone running their OEM 20" wheels and tires on the track?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99

Is everyone running their OEM 20" wheels and tires on the track?
I'm going to run my 20" oem wheels for this track season again. It's pretty tough to find 19" tires in the right sizes. My plan is to run the Pirelli Trofeo R in 20" for dry days and 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports for all other weather.

Only problem is the Trofeo R pricing:
245/35ZR20 - $538.00
295/35ZR20 - $563.00
305/30ZR20 - $581.00

Continental has a new R-comp in 991 20" sizes so I might give those a go if I can find them.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shizzle
I'm going to run my 20" oem wheels for this track season again. It's pretty tough to find 19" tires in the right sizes. My plan is to run the Pirelli Trofeo R in 20" for dry days and 19" Michelin Pilot Super Sports for all other weather.

Only problem is the Trofeo R pricing:
245/35ZR20 - $538.00
295/35ZR20 - $563.00
305/30ZR20 - $581.00

Continental has a new R-comp in 991 20" sizes so I might give those a go if I can find them.
Why not use Corsas instead? They should last longer.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 AM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Corsas are really expensive too. I've been looking in to this as well, and am having trouble finding a track day wheel/tire combo that's light, sticky, and not going to break the bank.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Why not use Corsas instead? They should last longer.
Corsas are actually more expensive! I'm considering sticking with the regular PZero as well. They were surprisingly good, and the wear on them has been excellent. I know they're not as fast as r-comps, but I still had a ton of fun.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

^ I don't know what's available in 20", but the best summer street tires I've found are the Michelin Super Sports, Bridgestone RE-11, and Yokohama AD08.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody know if 19" wheels from a 997 fit a 991?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by shizzle
Corsas are actually more expensive! I'm considering sticking with the regular PZero as well. They were surprisingly good, and the wear on them has been excellent. I know they're not as fast as r-comps, but I still had a ton of fun.
Dunlop SportMaxx Race comes in 265/35/19 and a 325/30/19. I think I might try it for a track set up. The sizes should be OK for the AWD system on my C4S. Not sure if the front will rub. Planning on adding some camber up front.

These sizes have not been officially released, I think you can only get AMG C63 sizes from the Tirerack.com

Hopefully BBS or Volk will start releasing some more wheels for our applications.

Quick Reply: Tracking the 991?