Sponsored by:

Impact of weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Well at that level of competition aspiration, I would go farther and suggest that small differences in car weight and a sunroof would be relatively inconsequential. Lowering an entire ~3000 lb car has more effect on center of gravity than not having a sunroof. The incremental weight of a sunroof (made of aluminum) over the steel of a non-sunroof roof is likely about the same effect as lowering the windows or hiring a skinnier driver). Over the typical autocross course, any such effect is likely to be dominated by whatever will keep tire contact patches at the greatest widths - like PDCC for example.

So, my priortities would be to lower the car, get dedicated R rated tires and optimize the shocks, springs roll bars and alignment away from the compromises for the street that are there for clearance, comfort, tire wear and straight line stability. That would provide the unfair mechanical advantage that (assuming equal levels of skill and concentration and identical driver weights) could affect times in the range you specify.
Maybe I wasn't clear earlier, Chuck. I agree completely that lowering the car, R rated tires, optomized springs/shocks, PDCC, etc. are all going to have a much greater impact on performance than deleting a sunroof. However, assuming you have now done all that, and all else being equal, to additionally take 30-40 pounds of weight out of the roof might easily result in admittedly small but nevertheless measureable improvements in acceleration, braking, and handling, especially when the measuring stick is graduated in milliseconds.

This small improvement may not be "worth it" in terms of foregoing a sunroof if you want one, especially for a street car, but I don't think it's imaginary. Look at the difference in times lap to lap as an F1 car burns off 3 or 4 KG of fuel per lap. Sure, our cars are twice as heavy, but we're also talking about 30 or 40 lbs at the top of the chassis, not just 2 or 3 gallons of fuel in the tank. Combine a sunroof delete with sport buckets, a lightweight battery, and going easy on other options and you're talking a savings of perhaps 90-100 lbs. That's meaningful.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by hepmonk
I'm trying to reduce the unsprung weight of this driver by 30-40lbs. It should lower the CG of the car and allow me to enjoy the spectacular glass sunroof guilt free. Halfway there, wish me luck!
Good luck!

PS Your car = no guilt, no way.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Maybe I wasn't clear earlier, Chuck. I agree completely that lowering the car, R rated tires, optomized springs/shocks, PDCC, etc. are all going to have a much greater impact on performance than deleting a sunroof. However, assuming you have now done all that, ......
We agree fully: if you are going to do it all, then more all is more better!

(No croissant before runs?)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
We agree fully: if you are going to do it all, then more all is more better!

(No croissant before runs?)
Nah, I go on an apple juice and beef broth diet for a week before an event....
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Weight on top of the car is not ideal. Know that's why carbon fibre roofs are installed on some cars like the m3. Would be interesting to drive both and see if you could tell the difference.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At about 3,700 lbs the M3 has other things to worry about. I spoke to the head of their engineering dept. by chance a few years ago and asked why they didn't try to put the M on a diet. He said it was cheaper to put more power in than make it light-at least he was honest. As much as I love BMWs, it's not fair to compare it to a 991.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

An odd note, with the windows down unless you crack the sunroof you get a bad buffeting in the cockpit. That may be worth having one in and of itself.

Most tracks run windows down.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
At about 3,700 lbs the M3 has other things to worry about. I spoke to the head of their engineering dept. by chance a few years ago and asked why they didn't try to put the M on a diet. He said it was cheaper to put more power in than make it light-at least he was honest. As much as I love BMWs, it's not fair to compare it to a 991.
Didn't intend to make a direct comparison. Just noting that the roof is the best place to target weight reduction to lower the center of gravity. The m3 does swap out a lot of steel bits for aluminum on the suspension and lower front end structure. Still a heavy car.

I'm still a BMW fan but love my Porsche. While I haven't driven one yet, the 991 seems like a terrific car.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

You are right with the location of the weight. I share your love for BMWs, and still am a Porsche fan. I'm working on moving from my 997 to a 991. Again, I love both these cars but am very impressed with the 991. Cheers.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Precision Auto
Former Vendor

Default Take your stock wheels off

I took off my stock wheels and went forged! The weight of my stock GT3 wheels was shocking! I went with GMG forged Monoblocks.....saved almost 30 lbs all around! PM me if you need more ideas....but start with the wheels. I am an authorized GMG reseller and can get you pricing.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Impact of weight reduction