Sponsored by:

Pretty Good Tripod Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Good position for highlighting scenery, but I prefer through the windshield centered so the relationship of hands on steering wheel and wheel position to road features are foremost (and tach/speedo views being bonus points to promote viewer attention in that they are such familiar cues for all Porsche drivers).

For scenery drives my favorite is a position that gets the viewer into the 911 drivers head as well, like the following, where there is no question of the, er, bull involved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9tzg...ayer_embedded#!
Great example Chuck, although it looks like that camera was pushed up through a sunroof a couple of times. Here's what I thought:
  • Elevated position. Great sense of surroundings and better view, better imagery for hanging a screenshot on the wall. Flattens the corners though. Look back at the first test, or notice the amount of steering angle I'm cranking in, to remember how sharp those turns are on that road.
  • Eye-level mount. Feels like sitting in the back seat. Which improves our judgment of the cornering involved because we are used to that eye level. Also lets the rear-view mirror, the A pillar, and the windshield top rail block a lot of the scenery, including subtle details like an approaching motorcycle. Claustrophobic, just like the real back seat of a Carrera.
  • Shoulder-level? Remains to be seen. Will attempt a test this weekend if the weather holds. I'm thinking behind the passenger's shoulder position, which will look past the rear-view mirror, across the instrument panel, and provide the driver's actions as well as most of the view forward.
Clearly, capturing the sense of a good drive on a public road or a track, the aesthetic quality of a Carrera drive, requires more than evidentiary video techniques. This ain't telemetry, it's art. Or needs to be if I can muster the talent. I'm only willing to go so far into a field I never embraced in youth, requiring study of techniques, but with these matchbox cameras a lot can be done with a little.

Some half-decent video editor for cuts and blends, and two or three little cameras, would let me combine the sense of vehicle surroundings with the visual experience of going over a ridge at 110 mph with no track surface in sight. And the more tame versions on public roads.

Back to reality for a few hours. Errands to run.

Gary
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
We had a cold front moving in that dropped temps to a bone-chilling 50F.

Gary
50F? Thats what i try for in the garage with my space heater when I want to clean the salt off (the other car). Sigh.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
50F? Thats what i try for in the garage with my space heater when I want to clean the salt off (the other car). Sigh.
Yeah, it would take a pretty sensitive bone to be chilled in that weather, wouldn't it?

Gary, who spent three years in Duluth and some time even further toward the Arctic
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary I have an off topic question. I am looking at the gopro black for similar purposes to yours and to capture a golf swing at a high frame rate. 60 fps is not high for a golf swing 120 or 240 is more appropriate. Current deals giveaway a remote with the purchase. Did you get that deal? How does that remote work at night frame rates a slow remote is painful in viewing high frame rates. Have you sampled the higher fare rates?

Thanks Blll
Old 02-14-2013, 01:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
Gary I have an off topic question. I am looking at the gopro black for similar purposes to yours and to capture a golf swing at a high frame rate. 60 fps is not high for a golf swing 120 or 240 is more appropriate. Current deals giveaway a remote with the purchase. Did you get that deal? How does that remote work at night frame rates a slow remote is painful in viewing high frame rates. Have you sampled the higher fare rates?

Thanks Blll
Not yet, Bill. I'll be happy to report back after trying them. I do have the remote. It's right here, but I'm darned if I know whether it came in a bundle or not. Might well have, but I bought the set from a local dealer with a bunch of small items that definitely were not part of a bundle, like the "bacpac" or some such title that doubles the battery capacity, and tripod mount, and other miscellany. I can't remember whether the remote was packaged with the camera. I think it was, but can't guarantee that.

I was planning to work on the camera and put some mounts on the car tomorrow. (Play with it, in other words.) I might as well try some high-speed work and see it looks. I'll try a few golf swings and some other stuff like falling objects and we'll see how the Black does.

Gary
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thanks.

Quick Reply: Pretty Good Tripod Test