991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Seat ventilation

Hi,
how do you evaluate the seat ventilation ? Is it useless maybe too cold or a real good alternative to the aircon? has the aircon to be
switched on to make them work or are indipendent?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Hi,
how do you evaluate the seat ventilation ? Is it useless maybe too cold or a real good alternative to the aircon? has the aircon to be
switched on to make them work or are indipendent?
I have found that it is both effective and subtle- better than I expected. I use and like it, particularly on longer drives even when it is not "hot" and AC is desired.
So for me it is not an alternative to aircon (which doesn't circulate cool air to where the seats are vented) - but they work well together if on wants then to do that. The effect (on the low, medium or high setting) is dependent on the ambient temperature and clothing. With three settings it is easy to regulate: "useless or maybe too cold" are two conditions that I have not encountered.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Thanks Chuck, so you can have them working while the aircondition is completely switched off
and the air flow is taken by the outside as it is ?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it feels like there is air blowing out of those little holes, it is really pulling air in. I hear the new 991 turbo is going to have 3 turbos. I hope it is 2 for the engine and 1 for the seat ventilation so it will work regardless of what one is wearing.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by fxz
Thanks Chuck, so you can have them working while the aircondition is completely switched off
Yes. It is independent of the AC/heater system. And independent of the seat heaters if you have them And each seat has its own control.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by solomonschris
While it feels like there is air blowing out of those little holes, it is really pulling air in. I hear the new 991 turbo is going to have 3 turbos. I hope it is 2 for the engine and 1 for the seat ventilation so it will work regardless of what one is wearing.
Or switch on automatically, and vent to the outside, at least on the passenger side, when using launch control unexpectedly?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
fxz
Race Car

then is good when on track too if A/C can be switched off
Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd you are suited up properly I doubt you will feel it.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it is very subtle. Just draws air into seat perforations anywhere they are not blocked by your body, which causes a cooling effect. Just draws cabin air, there is no cooling mechanism in the seat ventilation system. Vents out seat back/bottom.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Yes, it is very subtle. Just draws air into seat perforations anywhere they are not blocked by your body, which causes a cooling effect. Just draws cabin air, there is no cooling mechanism in the seat ventilation system. Vents out seat back/bottom.
For those who may be curious, this works so well because sucking air in (rather than blowing it out) creates a drop in air pressure, which causes air temperature to drop, and there's your cooling.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuck911
For those who may be curious, this works so well because sucking air in (rather than blowing it out) creates a drop in air pressure, which causes air temperature to drop, and there's your cooling.
And all this time I thought it was the equivalent of butt sweating.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
And all this time I thought it was the equivalent of butt sweating.
You're thinking of the Tropic Thunder soft drink, Booty Sweat.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
That could be very useful depending on where the air "exhausts" to!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Well there is an activated carbon filter, automatically activated when fumes are detected.
Not sure exactly what sort of fumes they have in mind....
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
They are not "air conditioned" seats. As previously stated they have a fan that sucks air in. In my option they work poorly (just barely better than nothing). If you are fully dressed I doubt you will feel them.

In contrast, I drove a ford rental car on my last business trip that had true air conditioned seats. I hate to admit that they worked great!

Quick Reply: Seat ventilation