Maintainence of leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Which brands, Chuck?
I've only used Griot's, which is great on the steering wheel and shifter, not so great on seats. It takes at least a day to absorb. The first day the steering wheel will feel a little greasy or slippery. Second day and for next few weeks it will feel almost tacky. Excellent grip feel. After that the tackiness fades and you're left with just a nice grippy feel that lasts for months. My seats are the old Porsche style where the color is sprayed on, which seems to pretty well ruin the leathers ability to absorb conditioners.

If I had my Espresso leather right now I doubt I'd be putting anything on it for a while. Griot's on the steering wheel, maybe. There are a couple other thing out in the garage, names don't come to mind, just the overall impression they all promise the moon and stars but wind up being just another oil you wipe on and wipe off. But this is one area I'm just not sure what I'll wind up doing.

One thing I know for sure, and I'm probably repeating but it bears repeating, that the most important thing is to be as gentle and conservative as possible. You could probably use plain water with a lot of clean soft white 100% cotton cloths that you change often and get better results than Lexol rubbed hard with one small cloth that just pushes the dirt around. This is one area I want to learn a lot more about before tackling new Natural Leather.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAHack
I used Lexol for a long time and it works ok. For reconditioning of old leather, you cannot beat Leatherique.

The product that got me to switch from Lexol on my newer cars is the two step leather cleaner and conditioner from Chemical Guys. The smell of the conditoner is like new German leather in a bottle. You can buy it by the gallon and we even use it on our leather sofas. A couple times a year is all it takes and it will look and smell new forever. No affiliation.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...spi_109_16.htm
I was impressed with this and have bought some product via Chemical Guys UK. Will report back after testing.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I really like Zaino Z10 Leather In A Bottle. For cleaning, Lexol (orange bottle) and water and a Swiss leather brush. Color Plus has a great leather conditioner, too.

More important than the above tips. Watch out for thing like color transfer from jeans and leather belts. Rivets on clothing. Metal buttons. Park in the shade when possible. Using a sun shade for your windshield. These all go a L O N G way, too.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM
meine911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I really like Zaino Z10 Leather In A Bottle. For cleaning, Lexol (orange bottle) and water and a Swiss leather brush. Color Plus has a great leather conditioner, too.

More important than the above tips. Watch out for thing like color transfer from jeans and leather belts. Rivets on clothing. Metal buttons. Park in the shade when possible. Using a sun shade for your windshield. These all go a L O N G way, too.
Good advice. And a good regular vacuum cleaning before any rubbing. Those little bits of stuff on the leather and in the seams and holes do damage.

Quick Reply: Maintainence of leather seats