Sponsored by:

Price increase in Porsche Carrera models

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
hms90
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price increase in Porsche Carrera models

I ordered a Carrera S last month. I got an email today from the dealer saying that in line with inflation and price levels in the industry, the prices on the Carrera models will increase as of 1st January and that it will affect my order. They also said it is a factory price increase and it is out of their control.

I dont get why my order is being affected since I have ordered my car before the prices have changed. Does that make any sense to you guys?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say 'ordered' does that mean you/they signed an order?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 PM
hms90
Track Day

When I mean ordered I mean when I placed an order for the car and paid the initial 10% deposit. Yes we both signed a contract with the original prices.

They gave the car a production slot in February so I still had time to change any options if I wanted to and I did change a couple of options, and that was even before the 1st of January. I had the options changed couple of days before the 1st of January.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't make sense to me. I placed my order last month, signed the paperwork, and put a deposit down. Even though my dealer didn't know about the price bump then, he told me when I brought it up that this is what they were selling me the car for, even if the price went up. Time to take a hard stand with your dealer?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like BS to me. Seems your dealer needs a little letter from Mr Lawyer.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your contract. There's probably some fine print referring to something like Porsche reserving the right to change pricing without prior notice etc...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The price increase has been known for several months now. It seemed in general, that if your order was actually placed by the dealer before January 1, you would not be affected. Your allusion to the order being scheduled for February sounds to me like maybe they did not place your's in before the cutoff. If that's the case, your price might not be set in stone.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
DHill
Advanced

Complete BS!! Everyone on this forum that ordered before Jan. 1 got 2012 pricing.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM
jmct
Instructor

I ordered before Jan 1 and changed my order after Jan 1 and did not get hit with the price increase. You should let them know you've heard from several others who are not being passed along the price increase for pre-2013 orders. If that doesn't help, send me a PM and I can see if my dealer will give me some details about how that works between dealers and PCNA for you to use to help your argument.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

If you agree on a price - they cant change it. Thats the contract you had with them. Unless there was verbiage that gave them a very specific option to do that and you would have to agree. You agreed to buy a car for $100K (made up number). If the factory or PCNA sets a price increase Jan 1, 2013, thats got nothing to do with your particular deal.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmct
I ordered before Jan 1 and changed my order after Jan 1 and did not get hit with the price increase. You should let them know you've heard from several others who are not being passed along the price increase for pre-2013 orders. If that doesn't help, send me a PM and I can see if my dealer will give me some details about how that works between dealers and PCNA for you to use to help your argument.
Same here, my order was placed before Jan 1 and I made changes after Jan 1, and my dealer still said my price was protected. There's some more info in this thread in another forum:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-1-2013-a.html

Check out my comments there.

Basically, what my dealer told me was that they invoice the cars upon arrival to U.S. soil, meaning that our cars should still get hit with the price increase. However, there was a bulletin sent out from PCNA to the dealers several weeks ago announcing this price increase but also stating that for all orders placed before Jan 1, PCNA would compensate the dealers for any price increase. So bottom line, the dealer should honor the pre-Jan 1 prices.

Sounds to me like your dealer is trying to get double-compensated. I would demand that he show you the bulletin announcing this price increase, as it should also state that the dealers will be compensated from Porsche. If he still refuses, threaten that you'll get a lawyer to subpoena all relevant documents from Porsche and the dealer.

Not only did your dealer fail to notice you of the price increase before Jan 1, he also failed to notify you in the 2+ weeks since, when he has obviously been selling cars at the increased price! Let me guess, your order just locked or is about to?? How convenient...

And btw, sorry to tell you this, but 10% is quite a lot for a deposit. I had to put down $3k for mine, and that's only because it was heavily optioned and came out to about $140k. From the sounds of it, most people deposit less than $1k, and often much less.

Sorry if this post sounded overly cynical, it just boils my blood when I hear about people trying to rip other people off. Good luck to you!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even though my contract/dealer said that if there were to be a price increase I would have to pay the new price (back in October when I signed the order) I have since determined I am price protected and this was confirmed by the dealer. Car was ordered October 1 and is being built this week.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

+1 on the above great comments by everyone. i too ordered pre jan 1st and price was protected. hope this gives you some leverage to correct the situation. please keep us informed.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
hms90
Track Day

Thanks everybody, I was thinking the same thing. Its complete BS.

I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to sort this situation out.

Will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM
hms90
Track Day

Nothing in the contract mentioning anything about the price

Quick Reply: Price increase in Porsche Carrera models