Washing

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Washing

I am almost embarrassed to initiate this thread.

I have owned new Porsches since 1974. My focus for each is how they look. Consequently, I took sole responsibility for washing and detailing the cars. They were always garaged and washed weekly. They always looked and ran very well.

I have been having physical problems in recent years but I continued working on my Porsche and whatever car my wife had, weekly. Last year we bought her a Ford Taurus SHO. It is a fantastic car. I found, after a few months, that I was physically unable to maintain it. I bought her a yearly membership in an upscale carwash. I do not regret it since her black car looks fantastic.

My back has hurt so badly that I found I could not drive a manual shift car. I traded in my 993 for a black PDK 991. I am apprehensive about having my car go through a wash tunnel. I have never taken any of my Porsches to a car wash.

Are there any recommendations for routine body and interior maintenance out there?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am the only one that cleans my car. Period.
That said, if you have physical limitations that prevent that, I suggest you shop around your area for a fulltime detailer. Most important is to have a completely hand wash, with proper products (i.e. non-harsh chemicals and microfiber towels/implements) who will do way better than any machine wash.
I'd be willing to bet there's even services that will come to your house and detail the car in your own driveway. A good one will be glad to offer references, or check online places like Yelp for recommendations. I feel confident you'll find someone.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look in Craigslist. Services. Automotive. Search for detailing

There are mobile services that'll come to your house. You can look over their shoulder while they use your products, or you can leave the whole thing to them.

Or go to a Day Labor gathering point (most typically a local Home Depot) and pick up a worker for 3-4 hours. Tell them what to do every step of the way.

Get references. Don't get robbed.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I am almost embarrassed to initiate this thread.

I have owned new Porsches since 1974. My focus for each is how they look. Consequently, I took sole responsibility for washing and detailing the cars. They were always garaged and washed weekly. They always looked and ran very well.

I have been having physical problems in recent years but I continued working on my Porsche and whatever car my wife had, weekly. Last year we bought her a Ford Taurus SHO. It is a fantastic car. I found, after a few months, that I was physically unable to maintain it. I bought her a yearly membership in an upscale carwash. I do not regret it since her black car looks fantastic.

My back has hurt so badly that I found I could not drive a manual shift car. I traded in my 993 for a black PDK 991. I am apprehensive about having my car go through a wash tunnel. I have never taken any of my Porsches to a car wash.

Are there any recommendations for routine body and interior maintenance out there?
I use a mobile detailer. He comes to my house with his trailer full of equipment and supplies. They also go to office buildings, your club, wherever they can work with reasonable drainage available for the rinse water.

Lots of people prefer to do their own cleaning, but like you, I have physical limitations that prevent that. I don't recommend using anyone random. Aside from the issue of personal security, which is a serious one, they won't know how to care for your finish and leather. Use the internet, you often can find reviews of local service companies. Or ask the local region of Porsche Club of America. Someone will know a reliable detailer.

I don't know prices in Florida, but for reference I used to pay $35 for a simple wash of my 997. A full detail of my 991 is $100, including claying to remove deposits from the finish and a coat of wax. I'm in a rural area. The full detail ranges up to $300 in large cities of California. The most reasonable approach is to set up a schedule and negotiate a price for recurring service. Something like "wash it every week, wax it every month, clay and full detail every six months." You can get a better price -- and better service -- if a detailer knows you as a regular customer and risks losing that arrangement if the work isn't done correctly.

Gary
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I'm sorry to hear of your mobility issues. I have been taking my A6 Avant through a car wash every couple of weeks for three years. It is an excellent car wash about 125' long with an incredible blow dryer at the end. The car is then driven outside where is hand dried with clean towels and interior windows cleaned by a crew of non English speaking young people. If I do the car myself it takes damn near an hour just to do the wheels. The car is an '06 and looks as good as new. I had the car professionally clar barred and waxed this summer and could hardly tell the difference. I don't my take Porsches there cuz I enjoy washing them so much. There has to be such a car wash down your way. I know you have waay more non-English speaking young people. With all that said, I should say that my Audi is metallic silver being viewed by 67 yr old eyes .
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
smooth_blur
7th Gear

I would be hesitant to go through a car wash tunnel with the 991. Not sure the size of your tire/wheel set up but it is likely too wide to make it through safely. I have seen pics of someones wheels that were scarred on the inside after letting the car travel through the tunnel. I am in the greater LA area and we have a ton of car wash places. Some are just the sketchy rinse, rub, wash, dry places.. but there are a few more high end places that truely know how to care for someones valued car. I would do some research on something like this, use Yelp! for reviews, or contact your local dealer whom may know of something.

good luck
Old 01-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I admire your love of Porsches. I take my other cars to a local wash. It's touch less and the people there are good. But, I have never taken the Porsche there. I agree with most previous advise regarding detailers. However, not all detailers are created equal. I have had issues with well paid detailers. I can never get the level of quality that I like. In addition, you might consider finding a teenager that loves cars. You seem to know a lot about cars. You could pay the young man and teach him how to care for a car. Years from now, he would post on Rennlist on how he fell in love with Porsches. Just a thought.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a mobile detailer come to my office to wash my cars...as well as my partners and employees..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go to a brushless carwash in the winter. And they hand dry. Summers, I wash.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-16-2022)
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 AM
Lt. Arclight
5th Gear

In 2001, I purchased a CPO 1999 996C2 BLACK after my first spinal fusion surgery. Washing isn't a big deal but waxing is another. I bought an orbital polisher from Griot's garage and it made life easier.

Forward to now. I have had my SECOND spinal fusion operation. L2-S1. I have a silver C63 AMG and an E350, both go through the car wash. I am however replacing the C63 with a new Carrera S- WHITE. Its gonna hurt-but NO WAY am I going to run a 911 through a car wash I'll wash it-slowly-but by hand. Followed by a blow dry with the backpack blower

Look around, there are probably some detailers that offer a hand wash. I'd rather leave it dirty than risk a trip through the tunnel. They are very hard on alloy wheels-God only knows what concoction they spray,not to mention never cleaning their brushes etc., plus the possibility of grit in allegedly filtered and reused wash water.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Lt. Arcright:

Mine are L3-4, L4-5 laminectomies twice. I lost things I had before and have not regained much.

I actually enjoy working on the car. I have contacted two detailers who come highly recommended. My problem is that their techniques and mine may differ. I will try with an open mind and see what goes from there.

Thank you.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt. Arclight
In 2001, I purchased a CPO 1999 996C2 BLACK after my first spinal fusion surgery. Washing isn't a big deal but waxing is another. I bought an orbital polisher from Griot's garage and it made life easier.

Forward to now. I have had my SECOND spinal fusion operation. L2-S1. I have a silver C63 AMG and an E350, both go through the car wash. I am however replacing the C63 with a new Carrera S- WHITE. Its gonna hurt-but NO WAY am I going to run a 911 through a car wash I'll wash it-slowly-but by hand. Followed by a blow dry with the backpack blower

Look around, there are probably some detailers that offer a hand wash. I'd rather leave it dirty than risk a trip through the tunnel. They are very hard on alloy wheels-God only knows what concoction they spray,not to mention never cleaning their brushes etc., plus the possibility of grit in allegedly filtered and reused wash water.
Rinsing correctly will save your back, and time, and reduce toweling scratches.

First off, before washing, remove the nozzle and carefully adjust the water flow to a nice even and fairly slow stream. Thumb on hose, wet the car by spraying in an arc that rains down on the car. Wash the top and windows. To rinse, run your stream of water so that it flows in a sheet across the car. If there is ANY splashing then carefully reduce the stream until the flow is just right to smoothly sheet the water without splashing. Now move your hand so that the sheet of water just flows naturally off the car. Takes a bit of practice but when you get it down virtually all the water will flow off the car leaving literally only a few drops behind. Wash your next small area, rinse the same way. Since each area is completely clean and dry you will need to be a little more careful about splashing, but you've made that a lot easier by removing the nozzle and reducing the flow. There is almost a Zen and the Art of Porsche Maintenance-like vibe going here.

This method only works when the paint is properly cared for. If you try it on a car that's in need of clay/polish/wax then you will notice lots of little drops being left behind as the sheet flows off. In other words, this rinse technique not only saves you time and trouble and pain, and reduces toweling marks, avoids pressurizing water into places you don't want it going, and reduces water spots, its also a great indicator of the quality of your finish.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Why not stop by your dealership and ask them to have it washed for you? We paid a nice chunk of change for our cars...the least they can do is wash your car for you while you talk with them about what your next car will be!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

Won't trust the dealerships with my car. Ok, first time on the delivery day or perhaps at servicing but not stopping by to get the car washed. They deal with scores of these every day and may have no respect for it... I'm a little paranoid I guess.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Won't trust the dealerships with my car. Ok, first time on the delivery day or perhaps at servicing but not stopping by to get the car washed. They deal with scores of these every day and may have no respect for it... I'm a little paranoid I guess.
+1. Even the tech said to me "you aren't going to let them wash it?"

Quick Reply: Washing