Sponsored by:

2014 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
originally I bought my first car feeling the same way and for the same reason with no intension of tracking.
Tracking sucks. My first two Porsches had so much rock damage from Summit Point (thank goodness no deer damage). From now on I only use company cars and/or contractor cars until the day I buy a track (only car)!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Guess I feel the same way about the Vette that I do about the Ferrari Cali. Engine is in the wrong place. There. I said it. Some will go insane from the comment and lash out. So what.

Give me a base, stock Boxster, with no options, any day over a Vette and I would be happy. The Boxster is a better sports car than the Vette. I'm too lazy to type the reasoning for now other than mentioning the joy of the Blue Ridge Parkway with a real sports car (exceeding the speed limit, not required), but I know some of you get it. Sorry but raw PS or horsepower just ain't what it is all about! I have more respect for a Miata than a modern Vette. Try to wrap your head around that controversial statement.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

The suspension must be working if it's still being used to beat super cars. Unless I am buying a car for the wife the nancy boy auto will never be in my garage. I am too frugal and don't have the luxury of being able to waste all that money on a car made so the lowest common denominator can run with the big boys and I pay to drive my car for the enjoyment of becoming better driver not the other way round. With the rev matching technology turned on for the times when perfection is key to not losing lap time, who needs it anyways, with PDK your stuck with it, have fun winning at DE don't let those GTR on the track with you or you may get disappointed by an even lesser driver.

oh, I also apologize if I am a bit harsh with respect to pdk or similar gearboxes. That's just how I feel. I think it has ruined F1 and all lot of motor sport that allow it and I know for a fact that their will be lots of people snickering at the track about the guys ruining pdk. Nothing against you personally.
No worries, I'm not taking any of this personally; it's just an interesting discussion. BTW, rev matching with PDK is not a hindrance, and you can always shift manually, but all that ground has been plowed before in these forums so there's little point in revisiting it.

I spent 40 years driving manuals, some of it competitively, and I don't feel the need to prove my skills to anyone. I buy a car and equip it to please myself. My autoX friends don't give me a hard time about PDK to my face, but if they are snickering behind my back, it's their problem, not mine.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
Tracking sucks. My first two Porsches had so much rock damage from Summit Point (thank goodness no deer damage). From now on I only use company cars and/or contractor cars until the day I buy a track (only car)!
Bad attitude. No wonder your stopped.

I did 15 years of DEs at Summit and had a story about every chip and every red dirt clod found in fender crannies at the next tech inspection. Then they paved the pits and it was all downhill.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Et tu, Brute? Work pays so that helps a lot. I still track. Just not with my baby. No reason to do it. PDE exists for a reason.

I never had a story. Just afterwards I would look down and go "whiskey, tango, foxtrot. How did that happen?" Dodging deer--Now there I have some stories!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
No worries, I'm not taking any of this personally; it's just an interesting discussion. BTW, rev matching with PDK is not a hindrance, and you can always shift manually, but all that ground has been plowed before in these forums so there's little point in revisiting it.

I spent 40 years driving manuals, some of it competitively, and I don't feel the need to prove my skills to anyone. I buy a car and equip it to please myself. My autoX friends don't give me a hard time about PDK to my face, but if they are snickering behind my back, it's their problem, not mine.
I am talking about rev matching on a manual car. I know pdk rev matches up/down. But Porsche 7 speed manuals only can rev match on down shifting. up-shifting is where it matters and makes having pdk worthless. pdk cars are stuck being playstation cars even in full automode. Where a rev matching manual car can turn it off and allow the driver to do it all themselves.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

I am talking about rev matching on a manual car. I know pdk rev matches up/down. But Porsche 7 speed manuals only can rev match on down shifting. up-shifting is where it matters and makes having pdk worthless. pdk cars are stuck being playstation cars even in full automode. Where a rev matching manual car can turn it off and allow the driver to do it all themselves.
You match revs shifting up? Do you double clutch? Why? Porsche invented the mechanical solution to that problem as an innovation in the 356. It hasn't mattered since.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
You match revs shifting up? Do you double clutch? Why? Porsche invented the mechanical solution to that problem as an innovation in the 356. It hasn't mattered since.
please look up "flat shifting"
Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

I don't understand your comments. Rev matching is done during downshifting while slowing or braking to match engine speed to wheel speed and avoid stress on the driveline, prevent sudden forward weight transfer, and minimize engine braking and possible wheel lock. Who rev matches on upshifts and what would it accomplish?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

"Flat shifting" or power shifting is where you don't lift the accelerator on upshifts, keeping your foot down while you quickly disengage/re-engage the clutch and slam into the next gear. This technique has nothing to do with rev matching. It is tough on drivelines, something that rev matching, in part, helps to avoid.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
It looks like a concept car that never got "un-conceptualized."
The design is WAY too busy in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 150 Posts

Your talking top of the line Vette, which is still plenty cheaper then top of the line 911 Turbo S or GT3 RS and beat them at the ring. The mega expensive GT2 RS is only like a mere second faster round the ring but still slower then a Viper.
You said Corvette vs. 991, so the 997 Turbo S and 997 GT3RS aren't relevant. I personally don't care that a Z06 may or may not beat a similarly priced 991 around the Nurburgring - unless you are a GM test driver, it is a moot point. I do get to the occasional track day, and I have spent some quality time with the current Z06, but I would not put up with the poor materials and build quality of a Z06 for driving to work and weekends through the canyons for Nurburgring bragging rights. (Not that I am a fan of the 991.)

But since you brought up the GT3RS and claim a Z06 is "plenty cheaper", might I bring up resale value? You might be able to find a $135k 2010 GT3 RS for about $115k today if you are a lucky buyer. An $80k 2012 Z06 can be had for $70k today, brand new - and a 2010 can be had all day long for $50k. So which car was more expensive to buy new?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Please try it sometime - you way too obviously have never done so- and after you do, explain how the revs got matched. Then go look up ring synchronizer or synchromesh. You might also goolge PDK and learn how the next gear - up or down- is selected, and why your foot will never get anywhere near matching what it does.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
"Flat shifting" or power shifting is where you don't lift the accelerator on upshifts, keeping your foot down while you quickly disengage/re-engage the clutch and slam into the next gear. This technique has nothing to do with rev matching. It is tough on drivelines, something that rev matching, in part, helps to avoid.
The computer is rev matching it to avoid that essential it's a no lift shift.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator
I have more respect for a Miata than a modern Vette. Try to wrap your head around that controversial statement.
Not controversial at all IMHO. I have an NB Miata that I will never sell, because nothing like it will ever be built again. Mazda didn't try to build a car that was all things to everyone. Rather, they built a car that was a perfectly executed embodiment of its own kind. In that sense it's like a 911 with a narrower scope.

It's kind of a pain in the ***, actually, because I'd be satisfied with a 981 at half the price of a 991 if it weren't for the Miata and its accompanying supercharger.

Quick Reply: 2014 Stingray