Sponsored by:

Eventful Sunday Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 04:40 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Same here, Fester. I wasn't bargaining for this either.

I'm living in a "progressive" city (not making a political statement, that's just the facts) that has been constantly lamenting the signs of increased affluence and development for awhile. There are a lot of Prius drivers here. Fine. I think you should drive whatever you're comfortable with for whatever reason. But I think this may have had something to do with the first incident. YMMV in another part of the country based on local political sensibilities.

I didn't buy this to show off either--in fact that's at the very bottom of my list--but I think it's an issue whether you choose to acknowledge it or not. As my Dad told me today when I was talking to him, "you didn't just buy a sports car, you bought a status symbol." I guess he has a point. Maybe I went into this a little naively...

Either way, I'm still enjoying the car and this isn't going to stop me from doing that.
Normally, the best response is none at all. I know that sounds odd coming from the guy who just put down a biker on Sunday, but it's true. My favorite response is to look them in the eye, maybe raise one eyebrow (if you have that knack), and in no hurry turn back and adjust the stereo, as if it's fascinating. In other words, "you don't matter to me at all, son." The best revenge is making it clear their rancor means nothing at all.

I considered that situation Sunday to be a special case. Normally, I go out of my way to be polite to people, and even when I passed that biker who was intentionally holding up several cars I really didn't do anything aggressive. Scornful, yes, but not aggressive. I just did the automotive equivalent of sneering at him when I passed him like he was standing still. As I mentioned, I wasn't at my most patient after a bad few weeks here. The real reason I responded later was Tennessee had a chip on his shoulder and is going to get hurt if he doesn't think twice about that behavior in California. Possibly he'll hurt someone else, but more likely he'll misjudge another Californian and the locals will find him in an alley somewhere.

He's from the part of the country where my family is and I recognize the symptom. You see, what he shouted from behind my car was a gender-based insult. He associates sports cars with a lack of manliness would be the most civil way to re-state it. If he didn't learn better from that little status lesson, he'll make that mistake once too often here. Several parts of Southern California make the old movies about gangs in New Jersey and Chicago seem routine. If he takes that bike and that attitude into one of those, he may not ride out again.

I was in Berkeley a couple of times last year. First with my 997S and then with this 991S. I had been warned to look out for casual vandalism, but had no problems. However, I did notice the Prius Posse are the most aggressive drivers of all. I sat waiting for a friend next to a park and the Prius drivers one and all were driving over the speed limit -- next to a public park with children playing, mind you -- and gave the stop sign near me a passing nod at best.

I asked her about it and she said the local theory is Prius drivers figure "Okay, I did my part buying this thing, now I'll drive it any way I please." Honest.

Assuming your city is like that, I'd recommend the eyebrow treatment for open insults and a studied relaxation the rest of the time. It's friendly to those who are open to that, and simultaneously the ultimate sneer at the other sort.

And stay clear of those Prius types...

Gary

Quick Reply: Eventful Sunday Drive