Sponsored by:

Steering on C4 versus C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering on C4 versus C2

Interested in early reports of C4 suggesting that steering has more feel than C2.

Most auto journalists impressions of the steering on C2 (for what they are worth) are based on their experience with early 2012 models. I recall reading somewhere that the steering setup has been altered on later 2012 and 2013 models. Any clarity on this would be helpful.

The C4 has about 50kg more weight than C2 and this is mostly at the front of the car so presumably this would make a difference.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:11 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNi
Interested in early reports of C4 suggesting that steering has more feel than C2.

Most auto journalists impressions of the steering on C2 (for what they are worth) are based on their experience with early 2012 models. I recall reading somewhere that the steering setup has been altered on later 2012 and 2013 models. Any clarity on this would be helpful.

The C4 has about 50kg more weight than C2 and this is mostly at the front of the car so presumably this would make a difference.
Clarity escapes me, but I can say the steering is not a problem at all on my October build 2013 Cabriolet. On the contrary, I find it delightful, and now that I think back, I felt the same way about the Cab I took for a test drive. On the other hand, the Cabs were only released in late 2012. Perhaps September? So even the unit I took for a test would have been a 2013 and would have enjoyed any revision to the steering.

I haven't read that however. Do you remember at all where you might have seen that discussion of steering revisions?

Gary
Old 01-13-2013, 05:29 AM
SiNi
Instructor

+1 re the steering on my October build 2013 C2S coupe - its fantastic!

Racking my brain about possible revisions to setup. Must have been a post somewhere on here.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

i confirm drove mid December 12 brand new C2S SPASM PDCC and C4S PDDC , steering is much better on 4 wheels model by my experience, evnthough the C2S wasn t bad,too clean and light maybe,
the C42 one gives you better the idea on what s going on the front side is more "aggressive" even when the display shows most of the traction on the rear side or driving <30mph
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM
SiNi
Instructor

If there is a difference what is the explanation? Is the steering actually different on the C4 or is it just that the AWD improves the feel? Or down to more weight at the front end?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't believe that there have been any reports of suspension geometry changes in the 2 wheel drive cars. AWD adds weight to the front and a more heft to the steering reactions. There is more work going on what with axels adding power to steering dynamics. I suspect is the additional "feel" that is reported.

The issue for the journalists seeking something critical to write about, and owners of pre 991 and 981 cars seeking something or other, is that engineers have removed the steering wheel "dance" that 911s retained even after the worse of the bump steer was overcome over the years. Anyone owning a 991 long enough, learns that the road signals are all there, minus extraneous noise.

I have an early build 2CS with Sport PASM. Control, ability to place the car, and "feel" are far better than the other four Porsches I have owned over the years. The one that came closest was a a 911 SC with suspension geometry changes including spindle relocation, that were needed to get proper geometry when the car was lowered. I would guess that the improvements in suspension geometry alone are a huge part of why the 991 can run away from earlier equivalent cars on road courses, and stay with the recent "super" models. .
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I don't believe that there have been any reports of suspension geometry changes in the 2 wheel drive cars. AWD adds weight to the front and a more heft to the steering reactions. There is more work going on what with axels adding power to steering dynamics. I suspect is the additional "feel" that is reported.

The issue for the journalists seeking something critical to write about, and owners of pre 991 and 981 cars seeking something or other, is that engineers have removed the steering wheel "dance" that 911s retained even after the worse of the bump steer was overcome over the years. Anyone owning a 991 long enough, learns that the road signals are all there, minus extraneous noise.

I have an early build 2CS with Sport PASM. Control, ability to place the car, and "feel" are far better than the other four Porsches I have owned over the years. The one that came closest was a a 911 SC with suspension geometry changes including spindle relocation, that were needed to get proper geometry when the car was lowered. I would guess that the improvements in suspension geometry alone are a huge part of why the 991 can run away from earlier equivalent cars on road courses, and stay with the recent "super" models. .
Well described. Good summary.

G
Old 01-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNi
+1 re the steering on my October build 2013 C2S coupe - its fantastic!

Racking my brain about possible revisions to setup. Must have been a post somewhere on here.
Don't know if this is what you're refering to, but someone posted recently that 4/4S 991 models would revert to hydraulic steering assist. That was incorrect.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

I haven't read that however. Do you remember at all where you might have seen that discussion of steering revisions?

Gary
Perhaps SiNi is referring to Evo's latest review of 4S...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 AM
SiNi
Instructor

There is another thread on "software updates" where aamersa comments on updates to the steering but no details have been provided yet.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:00 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fester
Perhaps SiNi is referring to Evo's latest review of 4S...
Well, yes, but what he says isn't what we're discussing. He just says is that "[the steering] is better. The addition of a couple of drive shafts ... just gives you something else to play against."

He's really just saying the steering feel of four-wheel drive Porsches is subtly different than it is in two-wheel drive models. His preference for it is a subjective statement, which traditionally is shared by many people, but it isn't a steering revision, just a new generation showing the traditional relationship between the C2/C2S and the C4/C4S.

Gary
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: With the release of the 991 in late 2011, I believe the journos got sucked into the same "change is bad" mantra as the general 911 owning public. With the result that early reviews focused too little on "what is improved in the new model" and too much on "what has been altered".

Now that the virtues of the 991 are more universally appreciated, I think the journos, in reviewing the 4wd versions, are also subtly and perhaps subconsciously re-visiting their appraisals of the rwd models in the light of a year's familiarity.

Imagine for a moment that the release dates of the rwd and 4wd models had been reversed. I bet my hat that the earlier released 4wd vesions would have garnered a reluctant 4 stars, and that the more maturely appreciated rwd cars would be basking in a glow of 5 star acclaim.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:49 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: With the release of the 991 in late 2011, I believe the journos got sucked into the same "change is bad" mantra as the general 911 owning public. With the result that early reviews focused too little on "what is improved in the new model" and too much on "what has been altered".

Now that the virtues of the 991 are more universally appreciated, I think the journos, in reviewing the 4wd versions, are also subtly and perhaps subconsciously re-visiting their appraisals of the rwd models in the light of a year's familiarity.

Imagine for a moment that the release dates of the rwd and 4wd models had been reversed. I bet my hat that the earlier released 4wd vesions would have garnered a reluctant 4 stars, and that the more maturely appreciated rwd cars would be basking in a glow of 5 star acclaim.
Yes!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, yes, but what he says isn't what we're discussing. He just says is that "[the steering] is better. The addition of a couple of drive shafts ... just gives you something else to play against."

He's really just saying the steering feel of four-wheel drive Porsches is subtly different than it is in two-wheel drive models. His preference for it is a subjective statement, which traditionally is shared by many people, but it isn't a steering revision, just a new generation showing the traditional relationship between the C2/C2S and the C4/C4S.

Gary
Agree!

Question remains as to whether the steering "feel" of C2/C2S has changed since car was launched by virtue of "updates" to anything that might have an impact on steering. Not sure if this is real or just speculative unless someone can provide something definitive!

Quick Reply: Steering on C4 versus C2