Sponsored by:

Steering on C4 versus C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
+1 on the 4 car test. PDCC needs to be tested on comparable cars (PASM and SPASM) to isolate its effects. SPASM has a bunch of happy effects on handling and feel, some quite obvious, some subtle.
I believe if you take 100 drivers and let them drive the four cars but neither driver knows what car he is driving at any time - you will get a pretty even split in opinions as to what is the "best".
They are all "best" - just each in a different way. It's nice that one can choose what suits ones driving intentions the most. However, it is a very difficult thing to do if you are only able to drive one of the combinations before ordering.
The Forums are helpfull but also confusing - you will get a nearly even split of those that say PDCC is the best since sliced cheese and those that recommend against it.

Perhaps PDCC should only be specified with PASM if your roads are real bad or if you are going to track the car hard and often and don't like being overtaken, looking for that extra 0.1 somewhere, anywhere... With SPASM I'm just not sure if it is worth much at all, even on the track.

Regardless of that - we are talking about the Carrera. It's star on the track is going to fade somewhat anyway once the GT3 and other variants are on it. The Carrera is made to make fun out of mountain passes and back roads - it does that brilliantly no matter what you specify.

Rainier
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

If you mean they are all good, you are quite right. For times around track, the driver and tire pressures will be as important a factor as any of the options- more than armchair racers can imagine. If you go by forum opinions, you need to factor in the huge variations in actual track experience and levels of wishful thinking.

That said, there are objective performance advantages and comfort advantages between the options offered. They are quite real, and of vastly different value to different people, for many reasons, all IMHO quite legit..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:57 PM
bernpep
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C2S or C4S?

Originally Posted by simsgw
Friday, I'm taking my C2S in for a post-break-in inspection and oil change. Will get two minor squawks fixed and while they're doing that, I'm going to test a C4S so I can report how much real difference I find in the steering. If they have one on hand, I'll drive a PDCC car as well so I can provide the back-to-back review with a non-PDCC car that we've been looking for.

Gary
Thank you Gary! As a long time lurker my order was all set on the C2S until I listened to the dude on the EVO review say the 4s had better feel or feedback. I live in n.e. but will use the car on all but snow days. Still if the 4s has a better feel I could justify it. Your posts are very informative & alone make rennlist worth reading for your thoughts. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
+1 on the 4 car test. PDCC needs to be tested on comparable cars (PASM and SPASM) to isolate its effects. SPASM has a bunch of happy effects on handling and feel, some quite obvious, some subtle.
Hmmm. May run out of resources here. Either cars available at my dealer, or minutes available from my back.

On the other hand, done up right, I might sell the article to Road and Track.

Gary
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Can't wait for the next instalment Gary!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SiNi
Can't wait for the next instalment Gary!
+1....
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

Gary,
you wanted a job - you got it !

We are all waiting with abated breath for your, as usual, level headed and clinical analysis.

Rainier
Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
Gary,
you wanted a job - you got it !

We are all waiting with abated breath for your, as usual, level headed and clinical analysis.

Rainier
I will warn the dealer of the growing importance of this back-to-back evaluation.

G
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Gary
don t forget the pdcc too
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

So the back to back C2S C4S test how it went ?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Hmmm. May run out of resources here. Either cars available at my dealer, or minutes available from my back.

On the other hand, done up right, I might sell the article to Road and Track.

Gary
I have to say, Road & Track has my favorite Automotive journalist in Peter Egan, but you are certainly right up there in your writing skills. If you are able to provide this comparison I am sure it will be great.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
So the back to back C2S C4S test how it went ?
See my report at the thread: PASM, PTV, AWD, and PDCC - Oh My!

Gary
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rapture1
I have to say, Road & Track has my favorite Automotive journalist in Peter Egan, but you are certainly right up there in your writing skills. If you are able to provide this comparison I am sure it will be great.
I'm flattered. Peter is one of my favorite writers. Does pretty good for such a youngster...

G

Quick Reply: Steering on C4 versus C2