Sponsored by:

991 manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,114 Likes on 2,881 Posts

Fine with me - I'm sure it's nothing they haven't thought of anyways. They already use this technology to only open the shift gates for 6th and 7th when coming from 5th and to lockout reverse once the car is moving.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you actually think Porsche has not thought about this?
They have the technology to make a manual transmission bullet proof, but why would they.
Come on, if they installed a safety feature which would not allow the driver to over rev the engine, look at all the new engines and service charges they would miss out on.
It's not dumb luck that Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sorry cant edit or delete posts from phone...
Oh THAT"s the reason.

And here i was I thinking: "and this guy is going to program the shift lockout?"

Old 02-10-2013, 06:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Oh THAT"s the reason.

And here i was I thinking: "and this guy is going to program the shift lockout?"

LOL I'm going to send a note to Porsche suggesting that they can cut their R&D budget in half just by reading this forum.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a week with a 981 6-sp manual while my GT3 was having the rear hub recall performed. I believe it is also drive by wire, like the 7-sp manual in the 991. Initially I liked it as the throws are reasonable and the gates feel very positive. The longer I drove it, the more I noticed it was too light. There was no resistance, nothing to communicate to you that you are actually shifting the transaxle. This disconnected feel was no longer to my liking after 4-5 days. Maybe if there was more resistance/weight against the shift ****, I might take a liking to it. Combine this with the lack of steering feel, I could never feel what the front tires were doing in the 981, I am very turned off to the new cars. What attracted me to my 996 and later to my GT3 is how well that car communicates and provides feedback to the driver, in fact providing the driver with a true driver's experience. That is now going away, taking away what makes a Porsche a Porsche. I am really hoping the next GT3 follows the old Porsche philosophy rather than the new.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:26 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
The corvette manual has forced a 3rd to 6th (I believe) upshift for years when driving gently for better fuel economy. This same gear lockout solenoid concept could keep one from engaging to low a gear - seems like a great idea to me.
Surprised no one has done this yet and even more surprised it's not an advertised feature of the new 2014 corvette's trick 7-speed manual!
It's actually a 1-4 shift that activates if you're going between 16-20 mph in first at a leisurely rate of acceleration (defined by some algorithm).

Another fact - deleting the skip-shift is the very first mod made by the vast majority of Corvette owners who frequent forums.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
I spent a week with a 981 6-sp manual while my GT3 was having the rear hub recall performed. I believe it is also drive by wire, like the 7-sp manual in the 991. Initially I liked it as the throws are reasonable and the gates feel very positive. The longer I drove it, the more I noticed it was too light. There was no resistance, nothing to communicate to you that you are actually shifting the transaxle. This disconnected feel was no longer to my liking after 4-5 days. Maybe if there was more resistance/weight against the shift ****, I might take a liking to it. Combine this with the lack of steering feel, I could never feel what the front tires were doing in the 981, I am very turned off to the new cars. What attracted me to my 996 and later to my GT3 is how well that car communicates and provides feedback to the driver, in fact providing the driver with a true driver's experience. That is now going away, taking away what makes a Porsche a Porsche. I am really hoping the next GT3 follows the old Porsche philosophy rather than the new.
The 981 6 speed shifts exactly the way 997 and 987 6 speeds always have; it is the same transmission. There is no "drive by wire".

PS there is also no "drive by wire" in the steering mechanism. An electric motor pushes against steering arms rather than hydraulic pressure. The engineers have removed the extraneous motion of the steering wheel.

The next GT3 looks to be a major step forward in performance, with more power at higher revs and an even faster PDK gearbox. The 991S is as fast as and handles as well as the 997 GT3, so if the typical increment is again provided, the new GT3 will be fantastic.

Quick Reply: 991 manual transmission question