Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 manual transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013 | 03:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by GrantG
Or you could use the switch provided to turn it off...
does that turn off the rest of the sport plus or whatever **** is attached to that button?

I'm just a simple man, I don't know what the hell all these buttons do.
Old 02-09-2013 | 04:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

I assume you are meaning to skip gears (i.e. downshift from 6th to 3rd)? Anyways, the computer always knows what gear you are selecting and knows how fast the car is traveling, so it's an easy computation to know what revs are appropriate (just as any decent driver would know).
Or you could use the switch provided to turn it off...
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I spose I'd have to see that for myself, but if I ever ended up with this option, I would pay several grand to have someone disable it in the computer.

just another step to dumb down the manual tranny.
Actually, it makes the tranny smarter.

Granted- it may dumb down some drivers.
But I would be happy to take your $$ and turn it off for you.
Old 02-09-2013 | 05:25 PM
David in Talent
Racer

I am REALLY liking this feature of the new M/T. Since I have always driven manual trannys and have not warmed up to the PDK, I am now leaning toward the M/T. That said, this does NOT circumvent the possibility of the "MONEY SHIFT" (i.e. overrev downshift leading to blown engine). Is that correct ?
Old 02-10-2013 | 12:49 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrerapete
Originally Posted by David in Talent
I am REALLY liking this feature of the new M/T. Since I have always driven manual trannys and have not warmed up to the PDK, I am now leaning toward the M/T. That said, this does NOT circumvent the possibility of the "MONEY SHIFT" (i.e. overrev downshift leading to blown engine). Is that correct ?
It would be possible to prevent a money shift by having the computer lock out a shift that the computer judges would over-rev the motor, but I don't think this has been added - yet...
Old 02-10-2013 | 01:13 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in Talent
That is correct, David. As long as it is a manual, the freedom to shift is the freedom to fail.

Gary
Old 02-10-2013 | 03:05 PM
fast1
Race Car

It would be possible to prevent a money shift by having the computer lock out a shift that the computer judges would over-rev the motor, but I don't think this has been added - yet...
Granted that almost anything is possible, but it would be challenging to write code that would anticipate a dangerous shift. You could prevent downshifting more than one gear at a time, but I don't think most drivers would want that.
Old 02-10-2013 | 03:09 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
but it would be challenging to write code that would anticipate a dangerous shift
What? That's a 4th grade math problem. The code is already written anyways - that's how the system knows how to rev-match the downshifts. It calculates the revs required based on vehicle speed and gear selection. If the revs required are higher than the redline, then lockout is activate. Pretty simple. This is how a dangerous shift is avoided with PDK too.
Old 02-10-2013 | 03:36 PM
WCE
User

The corvette manual has forced a 3rd to 6th (I believe) upshift for years when driving gently for better fuel economy. This same gear lockout solenoid concept could keep one from engaging to low a gear - seems like a great idea to me.
Surprised no one has done this yet and even more surprised it's not an advertised feature of the new 2014 corvette's trick 7-speed manual!
Old 02-10-2013 | 03:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

What? That's a 4th grade math problem. The code is already written anyways - that's how the system knows how to rev-match the downshifts. It calculates the revs required based on vehicle speed and gear selection. If the revs required are higher than the redline, then lockout is activate. Pretty simple. This is how a dangerous shift is avoided with PDK too.
I should have bolded the word anticipate. Mechanical downshifts present an entitrely new set of challenges than do automatted PDK shifts. The rev match calculation is made when the gear is selected, and not before.
If the programming is just a 4th grade math problem to you, I'd suggest that you contact Porsche. I'm certain that they would pay you a premium for the program since it would be a no brainer to add it to all of their manual transmissions.
Old 02-10-2013 | 04:57 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
I should have bolded the word anticipate. Mechanical downshifts present an entitrely new set of challenges than do automatted PDK shifts. The rev match calculation is made when the gear is selected, and not before.
If the programming is just a 4th grade math problem to you, I'd suggest that you contact Porsche. I'm certain that they would pay you a premium for the program since it would be a no brainer to add it to all of their manual transmissions.
All you'd have to do is prevent engagement of the clutch, once the wrong gear is selected, if you think a lockout is too difficult, which I do not.
Old 02-10-2013 | 05:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

deleted

Last edited by GrantG; 02-10-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-10-2013 | 05:21 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

deleted

Old 02-10-2013 | 05:22 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Probably the easiest way to do this would be to place a removable obstacle in the shift gate for each gear. At rest all of the gates would be open. At speeds beyond which redline occurs in 1st gear, 1st gear's solenoid-controlled obstacle would be in place, etc. That way there would never be a gear available that would over-rev the motor. Very simple and no anticipation required - just 4th grade math to know which gears should be available for the given road speed of the car.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-10-2013 | 05:23 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

deleted

Old 02-10-2013 | 05:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

How about we don't give them any more bright ideas? Manual transmissions should be manual, with less stuff to break. PDK transmissions should be the option for those who want the best available technology.

Quick Reply: 991 manual transmission question