Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The details of a new purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013 | 10:38 AM
fantom
Racer

Congrats on a fine new 991....

May be a business opportunity to write a simplified and illustrated user manual for those who otherwise would never RTFM.
Old 01-08-2013 | 12:17 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fantom
Congrats on a fine new 991....

May be a business opportunity to write a simplified and illustrated user manual for those who otherwise would never RTFM.
already provided by Porsche .. getting started or quick guide
Old 01-08-2013 | 07:28 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Justin-

My current, among many problems, is the fact the interior lighting will not go on when the doors are opened in the dark. I solved the problem myself. But, after 3 days it stopped functioning. The manuals, the salesperson and the service facility are of little help. This is but a small degree of my frustration. They sell a car that is superb but will not live up to expectations for the price. I am very frustrated and only dealing with 60% of the solution.

M
Old 01-08-2013 | 07:45 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fantom and SFO

You are right on.

I have run a major research laboratory for 40 years. I have never been able to figure out my highly sophisticated equipment from the manuals. Only after sitting for months in front of the equipment did I figure it out. Then, when my colleauges knew I understood the equipment they asked me to teach them. NO! The same should be true of the Porsche.

If the factory will not do it they should not sell their product.

Their product is reprehensible.
Old 01-08-2013 | 09:28 PM
meine911
Racer

Professor - This might not help, but I'll throw it out there. Porsche has an ap for at least Apple products called "Good to Know." It's free and is like an electronic owners manual. Finding stuff is easy. Pictures are okay. There are even some videos. This might be old news to you, but letting you know just in case. I'm finding it a good orientation while I wait for my 991's boat to dock this week.
Old 01-08-2013 | 10:26 PM
fantom
Racer

Porsche on-line tutorial: http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...nual/ext/home/
Old 01-09-2013 | 02:05 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

meine911 and fantom-

Thank you so much for directing me to this website. A great help.
Old 01-09-2013 | 03:10 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I have learned to always RTFM. I have never had any problem with them.
Old 01-09-2013 | 07:29 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry SFO, the quicky versions and the website are not very useful. I must be brain-dead when I sit in the 991 with the manual or my computer and cannot accomplish what the manual is instructing. The manual may be a translation from the German. I have resolved the same problem with my complex scientific equipment. However, the problem with the Porsche manuals are not as easily resolved. PCNA must provide some resolution.

Sorry carcommander, I have no idea what RTFM means. Strike it up to my advanced age.
Old 01-09-2013 | 08:39 PM
meine911
Racer

Starts with "read" ends with "manual."
Old 01-09-2013 | 10:03 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your translation. As I have repeatedly stated, I have read the manual. I will just try to figure out the car without posting any more.
Old 01-09-2013 | 10:38 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Maybe drive back to the dealer and ask them to show you?
Old 01-09-2013 | 11:24 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by freeman
Thank you for your translation. As I have repeatedly stated, I have read the manual. I will just try to figure out the car without posting any more.
Don't be discouraged. There is a lot more complexity than earlier cars, but not really so much that you won't figure it out in a month, although exploring the 991s limits take much longer (and more road) than before. And as you have found out- there is a lot that is not intuitively obvious or that well explained, and more than a few poor sales people. .

This site is a good place to ask questions- most here have 991s and are helpful, some are quite knowledgeable. Just ignore the trolls and wise crackers- most have never been closer to a 991 than car mags and web sites and are unlikely to ever be.
Old 01-09-2013 | 11:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Not clear how being a dick to this fellow is accomplishing anything, or helping him with his issue.
Old 01-10-2013 | 12:14 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Don't be discouraged. There is a lot more complexity than earlier cars, but not really so much that you won't figure it out in a month, although exploring the 991s limits take much longer (and more road) than before. And as you have found out- there is a lot that is not intuitively obvious or that well explained, and more than a few poor sales people. .

This site is a good place to ask questions- most here have 991s and are helpful, some are quite knowledgeable. Just ignore the trolls and wise crackers- most have never been closer to a 991 than car mags and web sites and are unlikely to ever be.
Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Not clear how being a dick to this fellow is accomplishing anything, or helping him with his issue.
I was not being disrespectful. Some people do well by reading and some learn better by being shown. If I was in OP's shoes and have difficulty and live close to the dealer, I would just drive there and ask for help.

My apologies to anyone who felt slighted. I am personally looking forward to the delivery of my car. I am sure that there are all kinds of people gong on forum and I felt slightly discouraged by the responses that I generated from the prior post that is not meant to be disrespectful.

Quick Reply: The details of a new purchase