Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Near order-lock on March delivery, C4S Cab, comments welcome...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
jmct
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Near order-lock on March delivery, C4S Cab, comments welcome...

Dear rennlisters...

I'm nearing order-lock (March delivery) and wanted to share my configuration which I recently tweaked. Here it is followed by an explanation of my thinking - appreciate any comments:

www.porsche-code.com/PD526B39

911 Carrera 4S Cabriolet $117,530
Premium Package Plus $2,330
Burmester® Audio Package $5,010
Cabriolet Roof in Black $0
Basalt Black Metallic $710
Luxor Beige leather interior $3,690
Electric folding exterior mirrors $320
Sport Exhaust System $2,950
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $4,080
Sport Chrono Package $2,370
Power Steering Plus $270
20-inch Carrera S wheel $0
Steering wheel heating $270
Smoking package $0
Power Sport Seats (14-way) $2,320
Multi-function steering wheel $615
Destination Charge $950
Vehicle price $143,415

My main two thoughts are:

1) drop the Sport Exhaust, save $2,950, it's "only" a sound and a funny looking button without a performance change. On the other hand, it rocks.

2) add the Powerkit. I've seen the minimal/zero torque difference at most RPMs and obviously the price is high (actually, it is exactly $13,000 above my current configuration because of the inclusion of the SC and PSE in the Powerkit), but the difference is certainly positive and could be reasonably enjoyable. This car is not only my DD but it is my only car (OD?), so that is part of the reason for considering this upgrade (i.e. I will experience a lot of miles with it – my current ’08 997 has 48k miles).

Otherwise, regarding the interior, I love the detail of Leather Interior over Standard Interior. I also think some of the deviating stitching and deviating colors can be nice, but I haven't chosen any because I don't think they help my color combination much. I.e., the two-tone Black/Luxor Beige interior doesn't look that great with a black exterior (too much black, in my opinion) and the deviating Black/Beige stitching doesn't seem to look as sharp to me as some of the other deviating colors. Let me know if I'm missing something obvious here.

The extra-leather options don't seem worth it considering the already-high price tag. Some of the aluminum might be nice but again, it adds a lot to an already-high price.

I like music and with the convertible at freeway-speed, think a Burmester will be very enjoyable.

Thanks to all – Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Three reactions:
- I suspect that with 400 HP and the new PDK you would never miss the Powerkit in a DD. The accessible performance increase over your current car is deceptively large.
- Full leather- without the deviating stitching - makes a 991 an elegant and warm place to be- and fits the classiness of a C4S.
- The 991S sounds great without PSE and the Burmeister is fantastic- a worthy trade in a DD. Both of course is better.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great build. I would suggest you check out the 2 tone black/beige because of "dash glare". Other posters on here, with beige interiors and dash, have complained about this. That is why it was recently added to the configurator.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM
jmct
Instructor

Thanks chuckbdc and nine-nine-one, really appreciate the comments. Clearly the Powerkit is marginal relative to its cost. The comment about the full leather is a good one.

I forgot to mention I have the beige interior now and there is a lot of glare, no question, but I discovered polarized sunglasses take care of it completely and now I am addicted to driving with them all the time because of the reduction in glare outside the car too.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Three reactions:
- I suspect that with 400 HP and the new PDK you would never miss the Powerkit in a DD. The accessible performance increase over your current car is deceptively large.
- Full leather- without the deviating stitching - makes a 991 an elegant and warm place to be- and fits the classiness of a C4S.
- The 991S sounds great without PSE and the Burmeister is fantastic- a worthy trade in a DD. Both of course is better.
I agree with all three comments. The problem of sitting in the heart of darkness does arise with dark leathers and black exterior, you're right. But that exterior color you chose is very striking in person. It's a gripping color. The eye is drawn to the highlights and seeks them. The rich brown of natural leather should work the same effect for the interior. The color they call 'espresso' isn't just dark brown. It is more the color of a fine dressage saddle, with deep shadows and burnished highlights. The leather equivalent of Basalt Black on the exterior.

Mind you, there's nothing at all to complain of in your current build. Very impressive car. But... if you can do it for less than $15k, the power kit would be entirely unnecessary, grossly inappropriate, and a real winner. It grabs my imagination anyway. That gives you the PSE also, which has socially redeeming value in special circumstances, while the Burmester suits every other occasion.

With that combination of gut and aural punches, the natural leather would be just the touch for a special car. We're talking Turbo money, but it would have nearly Turbo performance and proper accoutrements for a personal daily driver.

Gary
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 AM
jmct
Instructor

Originally Posted by simsgw
I agree with all three comments. The problem of sitting in the heart of darkness does arise with dark leathers and black exterior, you're right. But that exterior color you chose is very striking in person. It's a gripping color. The eye is drawn to the highlights and seeks them. The rich brown of natural leather should work the same effect for the interior. The color they call 'espresso' isn't just dark brown. It is more the color of a fine dressage saddle, with deep shadows and burnished highlights. The leather equivalent of Basalt Black on the exterior.

Mind you, there's nothing at all to complain of in your current build. Very impressive car. But... if you can do it for less than $15k, the power kit would be entirely unnecessary, grossly inappropriate, and a real winner. It grabs my imagination anyway. That gives you the PSE also, which has socially redeeming value in special circumstances, while the Burmester suits every other occasion.

With that combination of gut and aural punches, the natural leather would be just the touch for a special car. We're talking Turbo money, but it would have nearly Turbo performance and proper accoutrements for a personal daily driver.

Gary
Thanks Gary. My wallet doesn't like you, but the part of me that is the kid who saw his first 911 thinks you're pretty cool. I'll definitely be putting some thought into it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jmct
Thanks Gary. My wallet doesn't like you, but the part of me that is the kid who saw his first 911 thinks you're pretty cool. I'll definitely be putting some thought into it.
Better thought than cash!

You remind me of a young married sergeant who begged brochures from the Porsche dealer to debate at the home the merits of an "only for experts" S model versus the "light and rewarding" handling of a 912 successor to the famous 356. And then went back to replacing the main bearings on an MG with his wife, since a cylinder honing was more his budget.

Gary
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM
jmct
Instructor

Originally Posted by simsgw
Better thought than cash!

You remind me of a young married sergeant who begged brochures from the Porsche dealer to debate at the home the merits of an "only for experts" S model versus the "light and rewarding" handling of a 912 successor to the famous 356. And then went back to replacing the main bearings on an MG with his wife, since a cylinder honing was more his budget.

Gary
Ha! I love it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmct

1) drop the Sport Exhaust, save $2,950, it's "only" a sound and a funny looking button without a performance change. On the other hand, it rocks.

At this point what is $3000?

Sounds like a nice DD you have built there. If it were me, I would look at adding the 2 toned dash. The older 911's have a black top to the dash and it looks really nice with the tan interior.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nice build! I'm patiently awaiting delivery myself in April for my C2S coupe. As others have said though, I'd consider the two tone black/beige interior. Although I have to say, this looks pretty good too. You can also change the carpet to a deviating color (black would probably look best) for like $710 (it's not in the configurator), which would probably be easier to keep clean than the beige. Not sure what color the fuse box would be though...you need to make sure it matches.

I'd definitely add the steering column in leather though for "only" $465 if you're not getting the two toned interior. Otherwise it will stick out in black in your sea of beige.

Oh and add the wheel center caps with colored Porsche crest for $185. Should be standard but I guess they need to make money

Initially I wanted to skip out on the PSE as well, but everyone seems to rave about it so I caved in and added it. If you're really trying to keep costs down though, I'd probably skip it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM
jmct
Instructor

Thanks a lot 66mustang and ww007, very helpful comments. I especially didn't think about the carpet, I should switch to black if it will conform. I have a luxor beige interior with deviating carpet (dark blue) now and yeah, beige floormats are not going to be clean for long. I'm going to keep PSE, went through the same process as you!

I'm going back to the configurator to look at the other suggestions too, thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:08 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

jmct, it is a little-known fact that rennlisters collect a commission from pcna on any increased build costs they convince members to go for!

to pile on:
+1 on the steering column in leather for beige interiors,
+1 PSE, appears to be a 'no regrets' options for the most part,
toss up on the 2tone vs. beige with deviated carpeting (both are winners imo)

amazing how easy it is to click checkboxes....they should put a "cha-ching" sound everytime you click on an option!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
jmct
Instructor

Thank you all. I finalized the order today.

I added deviating carpet and floormats in black for $710. ww007, I wouldn't have thought of that so greatly appreciate you mentioning it, I really would have disliked the difficulty of beige floormats with the mileage/usage I plan to put on the car.

Many other great suggestions that I was interested in and finally decided $144k is enough.

I decided the Powerkit would be great but not $13,000-great. Gary, your post about the sergeant was egging me on, but I'm going to find a way to put that money to other use.

Thanks again to all of you and for your comments This has been a very satisfying way to decide on a build.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 77 Posts

Congrats a very exciting build-well done you will love it!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With basalt black exterior and Luxor interior, have you considered espresso deviated stitching? The dark brown stitching would certainly highlight the beige leather nicely and not clash with basalt.

Quick Reply: Near order-lock on March delivery, C4S Cab, comments welcome...