Advice Needed: 911 PDK vs 911s stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Advice Needed: 911 PDK vs 911s stick

Hello 991'ers,

I have a friend about to buy a 991 but he is on a budget. The consideration is whether to get a 991s with a stick shift or a 991 with PDK.

According to some basic search, there is a 50 hp difference between the S and the regular 991.

If his plan is to daily drive this car with 3 to 4 DE's per year, and the goal is to maximize the DE's, is he better off with 50 hp and the stick, or 50 hp less and the PDK?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Assuming that anyone thinking those thoughts must be new to Porsche and tracking, I would guess that if he lets the PDK do its thing and learns car placement and braking he will be "better off" (which I define as safer and faster). The Carrera is very fast by any standard and PDK adds to lap times.

That said- stuff comes stock with the S that adds more than just 50 hp to the equation. While a manual at the track is not as fast as PDK (everything else being even), it can be a lot of fun and provide satisfaction for anyone who enjoys exercising the skill it takes to use well. SAme goes for daily driving- whatever floats his boat is what he should do. My PDK is my first non manual Porsche and I am loving it.

Beyond that there may be more variation in track performance and the fun available due to specific options (tires, suspension settings, engine mode mappings, etc) than due to the 50 HP (actually its the torque difference that will be most consequential).

So more variables should be added to the equation. Welcome to the Porsche world of too many choices!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Steve's MLC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Assuming that anyone thinking those thoughts must be new to Porsche and tracking".

I'm the newbie here, but my friend has tracked a 997 many times. I guess the question is whether or not the PDK overcomes the loss of 50 hp and extras of the S.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's MLC
"Assuming that anyone thinking those thoughts must be new to Porsche and tracking".

I'm the newbie here, but my friend has tracked a 997 many times. I guess the question is whether or not the PDK overcomes the loss of 50 hp and extras of the S.
I really don't have a simple answer to that question.

If by "overcome" you mean go faster, skill level and track configuration are likely to be bigger factors than 50 HP- other things being even. The S will have more capable brakes and come with superior rubber for tracking (readily changed on the Carrera).

The PDK will allow more focus on improving and exercising the skills that affect performance at the track.

That said, torques are fun. The more the merrier.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I love PDK, and all else being equal I'd choose it without question. However, your friend's choice isn't equal and if he must stick to the S/stick or base/PDK options, I'd say go with the S and the stick. As good as PDK is, given equal (and competent) drivers, the stiffer suspension and added horsepower and torque of the S would be too much to overcome in most situations.

He should consider this, though. Having a budget is fine, but the difference between an S and base car is $14K. The PDK option is "only" an additional $4K on top of that. My thought is that if he can afford an S, he should either stretch his budget, or wait a while and improve his financial situation a bit until he can more comfortably go for an S with PDK. IMO, it's a mistake to pay $100K for a car and not get exactly what he wants, especially if, as you state, what he wants is to maximize DE performance. Just my $.02.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have NEVER heard this question before! I thought it was PDK Vs Man. Thats easy for me PDK. But youre asking PDK Carrera vs Carrera S Man? No question the "S" with Man. You HAVE to get the sport Chrono with that tho, it changes the whole character of the car and lets you REALLY take advantage of the extra HP. I have a bad Back and I STILL would get the S over the PDK.
AND I Have the C2S PDK.
Some people ask "If you are buying that much car just get what you want" But I understand completely.
The PDK is marvelous, but you have SO much more fun with the extra motor and not to mention resale.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: 911 PDK vs 911s stick