Sponsored by:

Driving gloves

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012 | 05:31 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Default Driving gloves

For those of us who like to drive in cooler weather:

The 5.11 TacLite2 glove, made for law enforcement, but so perfect for driving a Porsche (in any weather), I have to recommend. The palm leather is so thin, supple and grippy. The fingers are wonderfully tactile and I feel the steering wheel as if bare-handed. I have smaller hands also, and it is one of the few gloves that fit to the ends of my fingers perfectly. No big gap of floppy stitching to the end of the fingers. So awesome.

5.11 Tactical Website

Old 12-28-2012 | 05:48 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
For those of us who like to drive in cooler weather:

The 5.11 TacLite2 glove, made for law enforcement, but so perfect for driving a Porsche (in any weather), I have to recommend. The palm leather is so thin, supple and grippy. The fingers are wonderfully tactile and I feel the steering wheel as if bare-handed. I have smaller hands also, and it is one of the few gloves that fit to the ends of my fingers perfectly. No big gap of floppy stitching to the end of the fingers. So awesome.
I like the look of those, Nico. I'm currently using FootJoy gloves designed for the golf course, but quite similar to the Jim Clark driving gloves of the sixties. You do have to pay twice of course. Golfers only use the glove on one hand, so you have to buy one of each.

Gary
Old 12-28-2012 | 06:04 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Ahh, had not thought of using golfing gloves, that is an excellent solution also I'm sure - not to mention a great reminder to hit the range. I've been using these the last few years, had two pairs now, just never thought to post about them until this morning for driving.
Old 12-28-2012 | 06:22 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Ahh, had not thought of using golfing gloves, that is an excellent solution also I'm sure - not to mention a great reminder to hit the range. I've been using these the last few years, had two pairs now, just never thought to post about them until this morning for driving.
I keep mine in the center console. Been meaning to ask if that means it should be called the "glove compartment" now and the other is properly called the "owners manual and spare glasses compartment"?

Gary
Old 12-28-2012 | 06:30 PM
rpilot
Pro

Speaking of owners manual's isn't it about time that the owners manual in electronic form be available preloaded on the nav unit in addition to the hard copy? Maybe an iphone /android app with the owners manual might be ever better. Or is that just me? Would be very nice to reclaim some of the limited storage space in the car and yet have a reference available when away from home should the need come up.
Old 12-28-2012 | 07:54 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

I like to us my Oakley racing gloves for extra spirited driving. The flame retardant material is actually quite soft on the higher end models. Plus they look really cool.
Although I must admit, they do look a bit silly.
Old 12-28-2012 | 08:39 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Speaking of owners manual's isn't it about time that the owners manual in electronic form be available preloaded on the nav unit in addition to the hard copy? Maybe an iphone /android app with the owners manual might be ever better. Or is that just me? Would be very nice to reclaim some of the limited storage space in the car and yet have a reference available when away from home should the need come up.
I agree. Besides, they could devote half the screen to the legal wriggling and we could ignore that and actually find the "how to use me" stuff in the other half screen.

Gary, reminding everyone not to put an arm through the steering wheel at speed
Old 12-28-2012 | 08:51 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by simsgw
Gary, reminding everyone not to put an arm through the steering wheel at speed
Is there an interesting story there that I missed?
Old 12-28-2012 | 09:06 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Is there an interesting story there that I missed?
The owners manual contains that caveat at several places. Probably everywhere that mentions a control on the steering column or located inside the instrument cluster, like the button that zeroes the trip distance without drilling down through menus.

Can't you just picture some yobbo zeroing the trip distance with his left arm through the steering wheel, while his right reaches through to adjust the wiper speed? Apparently, the Porsche lawyers could.

Gary
Old 12-28-2012 | 09:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by simsgw
The owners manual contains that caveat at several places. Probably everywhere that mentions a control on the steering column or located inside the instrument cluster, like the button that zeroes the trip distance without drilling down through menus.

Can't you just picture some yobbo zeroing the trip distance with his left arm through the steering wheel, while his right reaches through to adjust the wiper speed? Apparently, the Porsche lawyers could.

Gary
I thought that was ok with PDK. Have to check the manual again.
Old 12-29-2012 | 12:24 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Heated steering wheel no gloves needed. I'll never buy another car without. Benefit of buying a new car off the showroom floor you discover options you would never order.
Old 12-29-2012 | 12:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Heated steering wheel no gloves needed. I'll never buy another car without. Benefit of buying a new car off the showroom floor you discover options you would never order.
What turns on the heat to the steering wheel? I don't remember seeing that in the manual and I'm not sure whether I have the option or not.

Gary
Old 12-29-2012 | 02:00 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My favorite driving gloves for non track driving are the military Pilot gloves. The are Nomex and they fit like a .... Well pardon the pun...... a glove. You can get them at military surplus and pilot stores on line.
They come in black, the mil Olive Drab, desert tan and they are long so they fit nicely inside your jacket to keep your wrists warm in really cold weather, But for the money you just cant beat them. We use to BEG Pilots to give us their extra pairs or left over or even worn out.
If they are good enough for a guy to wear to fly a F-22 or God Forbid a F-16, they are GREAT for 911's
http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/8049
Old 12-29-2012 | 02:14 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Rear side of center bottom steering wheel was the button on the 997..our 991 doesn't have it. No one seems to know if you can upgrade (from a non) to a heated wheel on the 991 yet.
Old 12-29-2012 | 02:52 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

can't help but think of "OJ" when i see that picture of gloves! seriously though, if i end up driving top down in the winter as much as nicoli35, i'll have to get a pair too...which means i might as well order them up now...

Quick Reply: Driving gloves