Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to shave some pounds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never seen Porsche readily quantify the benefits of anything...

PASM is better...agreed.. but now much more or less Nm?? (am I using the correct unit here?) of force does the PASM damper apply vs the regular one.

PDCC equals less roll, more tire contact, yadda yadda yadda.. also agreed.. can you please quantify?

PCCB again.. how much shorter stopping distance in every condition?

I suspect that Porsche would not make nearly as much money on their options if they put hard percentages (which agreed may be hard to get given various conditions) or numbers on each one of these.

Ideally, I would like to see Porsche offer a day with their cars and a very qualified instructor to take prospective buyers on a track and have them drive different cars where singular options are the only variables or atleast a good mix where the differences can be readily isolated, and point out those differences. This could be something they charge for (to avoid buyer pre-qualification snafu's) and give a voucher for the price charged for this, for a Porsche purchase within an X amount of time.

They have said that they are going to attempt something like this at their new Porsche headquarters under development outside ATL airport, although I am not sure how, what or when they will implement it.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot

PASM is better...agreed.. but now much more or less Nm?? (am I using the correct unit here?) of force does the PASM damper apply vs the regular one.

PDCC equals less roll, more tire contact, yadda yadda yadda.. also agreed.. can you please quantify?

I suspect that Porsche would not make nearly as much money on their options if they put hard percentages (which agreed may be hard to get given various conditions) or numbers on each one of these.
When the 991 was released in Nov 2012, Porsche made many statements and a big deal of the S being 13 seconds faster that a 997 S and as fast as a 997 GT3 at Nurburgring, with Sport PASM responsible for (may have the exact amount off) 6 seconds and PDCC for 7. They published that in marketing literature. IT is nice to know and something to keep in mind if you are ordering a car for running flat out at Nurbugring. It is also likely to work elsewhere where one wants to go flat out, and largely inconsequential for mortals on public roads.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i raced motorcycles one of the best things i ever did to improve handling was upgrading the stock wheels to magnesium. the weight difference was pretty substantial and is obviously a higher % of the overall weight than the difference you would see in a car, but it increased the speed of turn in dramatically.
In a car im not sure how noticeable it would be unless you are a very good driver driving at 9/10ths.

cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never seen Porsche readily quantify the benefits of anything...[...]
Ideally, I would like to see Porsche offer a day with their cars and a very qualified instructor to take prospective buyers on a track and have them drive different cars where singular options are the only variables or atleast a good mix where the differences can be readily isolated, and point out those differences. This could be something they charge for (to avoid buyer pre-qualification snafu's) and give a voucher for the price charged for this, for a Porsche purchase within an X amount of time.
They do something in that spirit already. I attended the ... what was it called? The Road Show I think. They invited us to come try different models at a race track with autocross set-ups for the slower models. About eight swaps I think it was. Cayennes and Pannies with and without hybrid drive, which is four cars right there; the new Boxster; the new Carrera with and without S rating, and a Panamera S or turbo S. Memory fails. That's eight isn't it?

The trouble with individual options is how quickly the combinations add up. They can easily provide a set of three Carreras ranging from base to S to S with PDCC. But other choices have to be overlapped on those. PSE? Cab? Sunroof? PDK? Burmester? Sport PASM?

The configurations add up fast.

Gary
Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They have said that they are going to attempt something like this at their new Porsche headquarters under development outside ATL airport, although I am not sure how, what or when they will implement it.
Just fork over the money and go to Alabama for the Porsche school. A finically qualified buyer has no correlation to a track qualified customer. Most of the benefit is see when pushing the car and drivers abilities. As far a PCCB, Road and track did a test in their mag and gave up on the test as they never faded in any of the 3 cars, suv. The benefit of stopping with PCCB will never be appreciated in legal DOT driving other than rotor longevity and lake of brake dust.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
The trouble with individual options is how quickly the combinations add up. They can easily provide a set of three Carreras ranging from base to S to S with PDCC. But other choices have to be overlapped on those. PSE? Cab? Sunroof? PDK? Burmester? Sport PASM?

The configurations add up fast.

Gary
True, but some luxury options can always be seen at the dealers, even if you can't drive the cars. Also, I don't know this for certain, but I am sure you get invited to these roadshows when you are already a porsche owner. I was not aware how to get myself invited to one of these otherwise.

Oh well... Happy New Year Gary !!! and thanks for all your help this year.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

True, but some luxury options can always be seen at the dealers, even if you can't drive the cars. Also, I don't know this for certain, but I am sure you get invited to these roadshows when you are already a porsche owner. I was not aware how to get myself invited to one of these otherwise.

Oh well... Happy New Year Gary !!! and thanks for all your help this year.
Pilot, here is how it works: The dealers get so many slots and invitations to distribute for the Porsche World Road Shows. They are advised to invite prospective customers rather than people who have just taken delivery. Savvy dealers know that many enthusiasts are repeat customers and just how to dole out the drugs. Your salesman may like you or know you are likely to spread the word, (the invites allow encourage a guest) or may succumb to bribes and threats. Hate to tell you, but for the best parts, you will have to wear a helmet (they supply).
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default A good new year to us all

[...] Oh well... Happy New Year Gary !!! and thanks for all your help this year.
You're very welcome. I'd love to see your car if we're ever near the same event.

Happy new year to the whole list, and thanks for helping me through a very difficult time.

Gary

Quick Reply: want to shave some pounds?