Sponsored by:

Griot Orbital buffer

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Griot Orbital buffer

I just thought I'd post how effective this product is.
I bought the new version with some different pads and polishes/finishers.
i have never used a power tool for cleaning or buffing and i was a little nervous initially using it on my car. but wow, what a great tool, i used a light swirl polisher with light pads on most of the car. There were some heavier swirls that i could see under a flashlight on the roof and i used a slightly more abrasive polisher on those areas. then i went over the car with a sealant, man it looks good. It worked on the expel clear bra as well. just a quick recommendation and to be honest, i actually enjoyed doing it as well.

cheers
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

You've got the right stuff and the right approach. I've been using Griot's at least 15 years now and while their original products are great they keep adding new ones like the Machine 4 polish that's very fine, perfect for perfectionists who are careful and only need to remove very fine scratches. The problem with all polishes is they remove paint - no way around it. Always use clay first, and check again, because sometimes the clay will take care of something you thought needed to be polished out. And yeah, I always enjoy doing mine too!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I cringe whenever I hear of someone taking their car to a commercial car wash, the dealer's wash bay, or even a fulltime detailer. NO ONE cares about your car more than yourself, get the right tools and products, and dedicate some one on one time with your baby.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Porsche designs 911s for how they feel being rubbed. The rest is bonus points.

Or is it how you feel? Down to the garage to sort this out.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Griots orbital is very good for its modest price. It makes me all tingley even after Im done!

Last edited by kosmo; 12-27-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a big Griots fan as well. I have the big orbiter and small one, plus, all of the different polishes, etc. My wife makes fun of me because the garage wall looks like a Griots counter at the dealer. I am sure there are other similar products but I have had great success with their stuff. I have taken some pretty signficiant scratches out of various vehicles - completely gone!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nine Nine One
I am a big Griots fan as well. I have the big orbiter and small one, plus, all of the different polishes, etc. My wife makes fun of me because the garage wall looks like a Griots counter at the dealer. I am sure there are other similar products but I have had great success with their stuff. I have taken some pretty signficiant scratches out of various vehicles - completely gone!
I was going to get the smaller one as well but just went with buying a 3' backing plate that works with the 6.5" machine so i can swap them out as needed. May end up getting the small one anyway just for ease of use.
Can anyone tell me how to clean the pads, someone said use a screwdfriver but that dug into the pad and ripped it up?

thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 02:50 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
I cringe whenever I hear of someone taking their car to a commercial car wash, the dealer's wash bay, or even a fulltime detailer. NO ONE cares about your car more than yourself, get the right tools and products, and dedicate some one on one time with your baby.
Well if you're ever watching the Porsche factory video where they machine wash the brand new cars, avert your eyes!

Okay, I'll grant you, their multi-million$ robo-washer is a far cry from Brown Bear... but still....
Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Awesome, we like the rolling wash cart and microfiber wash mitts, wife uses for her car too.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:15 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by limey940
I was going to get the smaller one as well but just went with buying a 3' backing plate that works with the 6.5" machine so i can swap them out as needed. May end up getting the small one anyway just for ease of use.
Can anyone tell me how to clean the pads, someone said use a screwdfriver but that dug into the pad and ripped it up?

thanks
just soak it, pad side down, in some APC once done. Rinse off the next day and air dry.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kosmo
just soak it, pad side down, in some APC once done. Rinse off the next day and air dry.
ah, sounds easy, thanks a lot.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Awesome, we like the rolling wash cart and microfiber wash mitts, wife uses for her car too.
I am also a Griots junkie.

They also have this tool for cleaning the pads. I don't have it (yet) so don't really know how well it works.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love using the Griot buffer. I also have 2 at work and my finishers use them when we do automotive finishes on our custom furniture. In addition, we burned up 2 of them - just call and send them back to Griot and they will send you brand new ones - with no issues.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Kit on sale for $150, plus an addtional 20% off + free s&h. Not bad:

http://www.autogeek.net/griot-s-gara...arter-kit.html
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
That wash cart sure looks interesting. Will have to get me one.. Nicoli, I remember seeing on another thread that you had purchased the Griot's coated sockets for the wheels.. What size is used for lugnuts on the 991 wheels? I think the OEM versions of these are available elsewhere and would love to buy just one and keep it in the glovebox.

I have never used an orbital polisher.. the Zaino polishes have worked very well for me, and they recommend not using one. I will probably keep using them....

Quick Reply: Griot Orbital buffer