Sponsored by:

Test drove a 991S today

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Racelap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a 991S today

I had some time off today and took the opportunity to test drive some cars. Two sports sedans on the 'practical side' - BMW F10 M5 and Mercedes E63 AMG and two sports coupes on the 'fun side' - Porsche 991 S and Audi R8 4.2.

I will cut to the chase, the Porsche won the day. I was expecting to like it, but not this much. The car I drove was a 2012 with PASM-S, PDK, and the Sport Design steering wheel.

First off, I came away so impressed by PDK. It's really, really good. Much better than BMW's M-DCT or Nissan's double clutch in the GTR. Originally I didn't want PDK, now I'm committed to it if I do get a 991.

Second, the character of the 991 was a lot different than I expected. I've driven a few others 911s - a 997 GT3, a 600hp 964 Turbo 3.6, and a 996TT. The 991 had this pent up anger that was new to me. It just wants to chew up the road. It's easy to drive in traffic and the ride is firm but not punishing... but it's never mild mannered. It tolerates slow driving but it's constantly looking for chances to go fast. I really doubt I could ever extract all of the performance its capable of delivering on a track. It's kind of scary that the bar has been set this high by the "regular" 911.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Racelap
I had some time off today and took the opportunity to test drive some cars. Two sports sedans on the 'practical side' - BMW F10 M5 and Mercedes E63 AMG and two sports coupes on the 'fun side' - Porsche 991 S and Audi R8 4.2.

I will cut to the chase, the Porsche won the day. I was expecting to like it, but not this much. The car I drove was a 2012 with PASM-S, PDK, and the Sport Design steering wheel.

First off, I came away so impressed by PDK. It's really, really good. Much better than BMW's M-DCT or Nissan's double clutch in the GTR. Originally I didn't want PDK, now I'm committed to it if I do get a 991.

Second, the character of the 991 was a lot different than I expected. I've driven a few others 911s - a 997 GT3, a 600hp 964 Turbo 3.6, and a 996TT. The 991 had this pent up anger that was new to me. It just wants to chew up the road. It's easy to drive in traffic and the ride is firm but not punishing... but it's never mild mannered. It tolerates slow driving but it's constantly looking for chances to go fast. I really doubt I could ever extract all of the performance its capable of delivering on a track. It's kind of scary that the bar has been set this high by the "regular" 911.
Isn't it though? I keep having sneaky thoughts about test driving a GT3 when they come out. Just to see how they manage to find a higher level. But I'm afraid my 991S would hear about it. And we're in a committed relationship.

Gary, who felt the same way the first time he drove the new PDK
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice one op! I kinda thought that I went with a hunch ordering 991 4s without even looking at others merely after driving 991S for few minutes- this really helps !
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Racelap

To sum up: BINGO!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 157 Posts

I was all against PDK, reason I didn't trade my Turbo for a Turbo S. Then decided to try it in my 991 knowing I would only have it until the new turbo came out. I am sold, its a great transmission. Aggressive downshifts and everything.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

great little write up - i took the 991S around a few blocks & walked over & traded my turbo on the spot. i had owned a SMG'd M3 so was suspect about the PDK, originally thinking i would take the manual 991s they had, but again, after a few minutes with the PDK, i was SOLD. shift it manually all the time - amazing location and response is fantastic
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I hadn't driven a 911 since I sold my 94 Carrera, when I drove the 991, I would get to a curve and the car just dared me to take it tighter! The front suspension is to die for! The car begs you to drive it harder!

I am one apply camper!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM
Gruson
Instructor

I drove the 991 again today and really enjoyed it more this time around. Previously I thought the steering was lacking compared to a 997. It's just different but I liked it.

I then drove a 991 S and shouldn't have...now that's what I want! The extra horses and torque makes it that much more fun.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

OP-That is one of the most succinct and to-the-point reviews I've read in a long time. I also found myself at the Porsche and Audi dealer yesterday. Drove the R8 and the new S8, and a base 991. I know the S8 is not a good comparison, but I've been watching too many Transporter movies. It does get a bit subjective and I can't put in exact words why I keep coming back to the 991. It is an affliction, I tell you.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
great little write up - i took the 991S around a few blocks & walked over & traded my turbo on the spot. i had owned a SMG'd M3 so was suspect about the PDK, originally thinking i would take the manual 991s they had, but again, after a few minutes with the PDK, i was SOLD. shift it manually all the time - amazing location and response is fantastic
You traded a 2010 turbo? I find that interesting. I was considering 2010 turbo but thought I world get into too much trouble. Do you regret the loss of power?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking

RaceLap: "The 991 had this pent up anger that was new to me. It just wants to chew up the road. It's easy to drive in traffic and the ride is firm but not punishing... but it's never mild mannered. It tolerates slow driving but it's constantly looking for chances to go fast."

Racelap summed up the 991C2S perfectly. The only 911 I've ever driven that makes me feel like a restrained hooligan in normal traffic.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 991S today