Sponsored by:

Who besides me finds the Panamera...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar
The rear tail lights on the Sport Turismo will likely carryover more. It's from the 918.
I am not sure what that really means.. Are you saying that the concept tailights all the way across will carry over? or will the 918 tailights make an appearance on the sport turisimo? These are two different tailights from the pics I have seen.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:56 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I am not sure what that really means.. Are you saying that the concept tailights all the way across will carry over? or will the 918 tailights make an appearance on the sport turisimo? These are two different tailights from the pics I have seen.
Before 991 spy pics leaked out, the 918 concept was announced in 2010. The rear of the 918 has a prominent horizontal rear line with narrow lights slightly recessed below. I see this in the 991 and now the Sport Turismo. I can see the similarity to Dodge but I see more 918 mixed with 964 rear center PORSCHE light reflector. I hope this design detail makes it to the Cayenne. I never liked the rear light design on my old 2011 Cayenne. It also cuts down on busy make and model lettering on all current Porsche's.
Attached Images     
Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lights look fine on a 918. Can't say the same for the Pana people mover though. It needs it's own unique light design....amongst a few other things. Maybe the design team is fresh out of ideas?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by daddyscar
Before 991 spy pics leaked out, the 918 concept was announced in 2010. The rear of the 918 has a prominent horizontal rear line with narrow lights slightly recessed below. I see this in the 991 and now the Sport Turismo. I can see the similarity to Dodge but I see more 918 mixed with 964 rear center PORSCHE light reflector. I hope this design detail makes it to the Cayenne. I never liked the rear light design on my old 2011 Cayenne. It also cuts down on busy make and model lettering on all current Porsche's.
I see neither the 918 or the 991 having anything to do with the rear tailight reflector of the ST concept. The line in the 918 or the 991 is a crease in the body, very different than the dodge/lincoln-esque reflector/light of the ST concept. The 964 reflector looks classy in it's own element. The ST reflector looks thrashy, IMO.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:38 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well both yous guys have compelling arguments about the tail...lights I think I will go get a beer and then nap for an hour.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Love my Panamera S. I don't think it is ugly at all - but most important, it drives and handles very much like
my 991C2S. Both have Sport Chrono, and the dual personality of kitten and tiger. My Panamera has the
optional sport suspension which gives a firm but comfortable ride and similar flat cornering to my 991S
with SPASM, SC and PDCC. On the track it will lap with times very close to the average 911, and the abundance of Torque from the 4.8 L 400 HP V8 yields instant and satisfying throttle response. It also provides station wagon utility with the rear seats down. Rear seat passengers find it remarkably
comfortable and always request I use that rather than our 350E Mercedes. Its rivals, the Aston Martin
and Mercedes CLS require folding yourself into a pretzel to use the rear, while the MB or BMW Sedans
handling don't come anywhere close to the Panamera. Surprisingly, most of the times we park it for
shopping or fuel, onlookers come over saying that is the most gorgeous 4 Door Sedan they ever saw.
After reading the panning its looks took from reviewers, I find that quite surprising. But in these days
of endless rows of generic looking 4 Door sedans, the Panamera styling is unique and a welcome change
from the mindless herds. Beauty for me is in function and the eyes of the beholder.
recently sold
Old 12-25-2012, 10:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Love my Panamera S. I don't think it is ugly at all - but most important, it drives and handles very much like
my 991C2S
. Both have Sport Chrono, and the dual personality of kitten and tiger. My Panamera has the
optional sport suspension which gives a firm but comfortable ride and similar flat cornering to my 991S
with SPASM, SC and PDCC. On the track it will lap with times very close to the average 911, and the abundance of Torque from the 4.8 L 400 HP V8 yields instant and satisfying throttle response. It also provides station wagon utility with the rear seats down. Rear seat passengers find it remarkably
comfortable and always request I use that rather than our 350E Mercedes. Its rivals, the Aston Martin
and Mercedes CLS require folding yourself into a pretzel to use the rear, while the MB or BMW Sedans
handling don't come anywhere close to the Panamera. Surprisingly, most of the times we park it for
shopping or fuel, onlookers come over saying that is the most gorgeous 4 Door Sedan they ever saw.
After reading the panning its looks took from reviewers, I find that quite surprising. But in these days
of endless rows of generic looking 4 Door sedans, the Panamera styling is unique and a welcome change
from the mindless herds. Beauty for me is in function and the eyes of the beholder.
recently sold
Well said. Especially the bolded sentence.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Funny because he wrote this a few months ago:

"I think many respondents not familiar with the Sport Chrono option do not realize that the "normal"
mode of the 991 is really an "ECO" mode programmed to maximize fuel mileage and avoid the gas guzzler tax. It is perfectly acceptable in normal street driving but certainly not on a race track if performance or lower lap times are wanted. The change from "Normal" to "Sport" or "Sport Plus" totally changes the character of the car. It simultaneously changes throttle response, suspension stiffness and gear change levels. Until you actually experience the placid "*****-Cat" normal change into a frenetic Tiger in Sport Plus, you cannot imagine the difference in character. It is almost like having 3 different cars. After racing a 911GT2 MT Race Car in IMSA, PCA and SCCA for many years, I find the Automatic features of the PDK (and even the much maligned Tiptronic) to result in lower lap times for most of my students and myself as well - much faster learning, permitting more attention to be paid to perfecting the other skills such as braking, acceleration, track line, traffic, passing, watching mirrors, etc."

That sure ain't any of the Panameras I've driven and it sure as sheisse ain't my now departed 997 chrono. Maybe it's only in my head. Deutsche Schlager break. Opa Ditzingen style.

http://youtu.be/rg8shNBWXX8
Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADias
Well said. Especially the bolded sentence.
I agree, given how capable a performer the 991 really is, it's a big complement to say a Panamera is reminiscent of it. Personally I think the 991 has better steering feel, and the handling is much more playful as the lighter weight and rear engine layout would imply.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
There's a lot of Panamera in the 991. From every angle.
While meant to be a harsh criticism of the 991, it falls rather flat:

That the latest 911 shares looks with the Panamera -- which was designed specifically to take cues from the 911 -- really just means that the 911 looks like, well, a 911...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
While meant to be a harsh criticism of the 991, it falls rather flat:

That the latest 911 shares looks with the Panamera -- which was designed specifically to take cues from the 911 -- really just means that the 911 looks like, well, a 911...
+1 on flat. I am looking for a good deal on a Panamera to compliment my 991.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

It's a respectable family car--best in its class for sure. Been eyeballing that option, too. They are so many down in Coral Gables. Highest concentration of them I've ever seen. Very popular.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by holminator:10097976
It's a respectable family car--best in its class for sure. Been eyeballing that option, too. They are so many down in Coral Gables. Highest concentration of them I've ever seen. Very popular.
I was in Munich for Oktoberfest this year and stayed in one of the upscale suburbs. Fwiw saw tons of panameras...10 for every 911 proportionately. Then again, Germans love their wagon versions of bmw, Audi and merc too. I think this speaks to the more 'practical' nature of these cars, which the 911 will never be accused of being. If I had to go family sedan, I think a panny would be still feel special. Hope you get one.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

I've had a base panamera as a loaner a few times and was underwhelmed by the performance, but could see how it could be fun with a little more grunt. Finally drove a gts during some porsche event, i think it was called the Porsche world roadshow, and really enjoyed the car. I can only imagine what the turbo has in store.

I'm generally with the others on looks - guess they weren't sure what to do with the rear end. Although I do think the sport turismo concept looked pretty cool!

Hotlap - We really like our cayenne, no complaints whatsoever.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

"I've had a base panamera as a loaner a few times and was underwhelmed by the performance, but could see how it could be fun with a little more grunt. Finally drove a gts during some porsche event, i think it was called the Porsche world roadshow, and really enjoyed the car. I can only imagine what the turbo has in store." from autobahnA8

I agree with autobahnA8. I also drove several Panamera "S" models and the Turbo and was similarly underwhelmed. The car I bought was the first one I drove with the Adaptive Air Suspension and, IMHO,
completely transforms the handling and "feel" of the car. Having owned a 1967 Mercedes 300 which
also had "Air Suspension" I would not have believed the difference it made in "feel", firming the ride
and flattening the curves. Note that in the Panamera GTS, the air suspension is standard equipment
and it's handling has been almost universally praised by reviewers and anyone driving it. The lethargic
engine response in normal traffic at low engine RPM and the much heavier front Engine weight of the
Panamera Turbo, vs the instant low-speed Torque of the normally aspirated engine, clearly favored
the S model. Today I would choose the recently available GTS model which includes the most desirable options at an attractive price.

Quick Reply: Who besides me finds the Panamera...