Sponsored by:

Sport techno tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes, I got that off Porsche.com. It was a good catch because I learned they feel a wider rear tire more desirable on the 4S, even though its the same wheel as on the 2S. Probably simply that they know how much fatter the 4 guys like their rear ends, so gave them the fattest tires to go with. I mean, what good is a fat butt without thunder thighs to balance things out? Seriously, both sizes are within the range of ideal fitments, so get whatever turns you on.
So we know all 4S rear wheels are 305. But what about the 2S sport techno wheels? The consensus here in the forums seems to be that they are 305 in the rear as well. The fact that you can't order wheel spacers with them in the configurator kind of supports this.

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Per the manager of my local Tire Rack, he said that his Michelin rep indicated that Michelin had no plans to N certify its SuperSport tire as long as it continues to make and sell its N rated Pilot series tires.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with what N rated means. Could you please clarify? Also, does this mean they don't plan on offering a 305 size for the Super Sports?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

According to the Porsche Tequipment brochue the Sport Techno tire size on the rear is the 305. No question whatsover. You can download the brochure in colour PDF form from the Porsche web site.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
So we know all 4S rear wheels are 305. But what about the 2S sport techno wheels? The consensus here in the forums seems to be that they are 305 in the rear as well. The fact that you can't order wheel spacers with them in the configurator kind of supports this.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with what N rated means. Could you please clarify? Also, does this mean they don't plan on offering a 305 size for the Super Sports?

Thanks.
The main confusion I'm seeing is people referring to wheels as if they are tire sizes: "So we know all 4S rear wheels are 305." No. Wrong. All 4S rear TIRES are 305. The WHEELS are 11Jx20.... except for the Sport Techno which is 11.5Jx20. In all cases they mount a 305/30 ZR20 tire. So... Regardless of the wheel being 11 or 11.5 they mount the same 305 tire.

Now go look at the C2S. Same 11 & 11.5" wheel choices. Only these cars come with 295's not 305's. Why? Good question. Very well could be as I joked above, they know their market. In the event of a bona fide engineering answer, I defer to Gary.

N cert tires are simply the exact OE tire. Otherwise identical tires MAY be slightly different. Main thing to know is NEVER mix your tires. All kinds of mysterious handling quirks are certain to vex you if you do. Google it and read the excellent Tire Rack answer for more.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Per the manager of my local Tire Rack, he said that his Michelin rep indicated that Michelin had no plans to N certify its SuperSport tire as long as it continues to make and sell its N rated Pilot series tires.
That's not what the national representative said at Tech Tactics the first week of this month. The internal forecast is April for N-rated MPSS. Not that he didn't have a somewhat cautious tone when he gave me that information. I'd assess it as "Yes, they'll be available. Don't hold your breath for April 1st." but he didn't say that, I inferred it.

MPSS is definitely a better tire than the Pirellis I'm using right now, but that doesn't mean the Pirellis are crap. These are tires I'd have killed for in the nineties, wet or dry. The MPSS are just better yet.

Gary
Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main confusion I'm seeing is people referring to wheels as if they are tire sizes: "So we know all 4S rear wheels are 305." No. Wrong. All 4S rear TIRES are 305. The WHEELS are 11Jx20.... except for the Sport Techno which is 11.5Jx20. In all cases they mount a 305/30 ZR20 tire. So... Regardless of the wheel being 11 or 11.5 they mount the same 305 tire.

Now go look at the C2S. Same 11 & 11.5" wheel choices. Only these cars come with 295's not 305's. Why? Good question. Very well could be as I joked above, they know their market. In the event of a bona fide engineering answer, I defer to Gary.

N cert tires are simply the exact OE tire. Otherwise identical tires MAY be slightly different. Main thing to know is NEVER mix your tires. All kinds of mysterious handling quirks are certain to vex you if you do. Google it and read the excellent Tire Rack answer for more.
As mentioned in my earlier post, the C2S with Sport Techno wheels the rear tire size is 305 as per the Tequipment catalogue/brochure.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The actual width of a 305 is only three percent greater than a 295. Subtle effects of tread width build up with each increment as we go from the skinny tires of the sixties to the steamrollers of today, but trust me: 3% ain't gonna show up on any instrument I can picture.

Chuck got it right. The choice was made for reasons of style, where the eye picks up differences that have no performance effect.

Gary
Old 12-18-2012, 02:08 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Re the original posting: 305 SuperSports on the Sport Techno wheels sound to me like a very good choice for looks, feel, actual perfromance and that general sense of well being that comes from knowing that your money is going to a worthy cause.

Quick Reply: Sport techno tire choices