Sponsored by:

My Final(?) Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
I'm right there with you on a few extra bucks when we're at this level. $1200 in and of itself is not that much but I feel the Mrs. has been patient with my "indulgence" so far and I really think that to keep the peace, $100k has to be my upper limit. After all, when momma ain't happy...
The dealer is not going to lose a deal for 1200$. If you tell them...look,I'm 1200$ over my budget,I just don't have 1200$ more. They will take it. It's not like you're buying a 14.000 $ Toyota Corolla where they won't budge at 50 bucks...
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chuckbdc--going with the black interior. Don't like the sound of a harder feel though.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM
GeneD
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is definitely a difference between the base and upgraded leather.

Base = grained leather like most other german cars.
The upgraded leather is smooth and feels a bit nicer.

The leather in my 991 C2S is about the same as the leather in the BMW 335d I recently sold.

The leather on my previous 997 (full leather) and M3 ("nappa" leather from BMW) were both much smoother to the touch and felt more upscale.

No idea which is more long-lasting (more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.)

Also realize there is a definite tactile difference between the seat and sides of the seat where the vinyl and leather are stiched together. And the back seats are all vinyl with no leather at all.

Granted, I never wear shorts to even remotely touch the sides of the seats and have no double amputee midgets to sit in the back, so that doesn't bother me. And at least the steering wheel is the nicer leather now regardless of which you buy. I ended up swapping out the one on my 997 because the base sport wheel had the texture of cardboard.

I too was trying to keep my S around the 100K mark (around 102K out the door) so I don't regret not spending the extra 1200.

Gene
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 991Dreamer
chuckbdc--going with the black interior. Don't like the sound of a harder feel though.
Let me clarify- DO IT! The standard full leather (all of the seat, dash and side panels stitched, etc) is very nice. You won't regret it- a far nicer finish to the interior (to me) than the plastic dash and seat sides and door panel tops. Also gives the silver side trim. Some think it too shiny- I really like it a lot- pulls together the dash and switch gear

Both it and the special leather are over hard surfaces. Neither is padded like a luxury sedan or Italian supercar. The difference is subtle. I happen to like the "high tech" feel and look in my Platinum Silver car. It has a German modern feeling that goes with it. It is not a rationalization. PS it is also supposed to wear better than leather used to.

But no doubt the special leathers feel more luxurious, and the "natural" dark brown is outstanding. I would not have minded it if my car had come with that but if I was shaving $ I would not reach for it.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From test drives, I don't think that the Power Steering Plus is necessary at all. It's probably nice sometimes, but I cannot believe that it would be missed. Can't see crests behind your head. Also, as much as I like the functionality of the Multi-function Steering Wheel, I think that the look of the Sport Design is better AND you get the real paddles AND save another (OK, measly) $125. PSE is, as you say, a must. I am also in the camp that thinks that a 1% delta cost above the $100K ceiling is negligible. Don't have regrets regarding this equipment, 'cause I doubt that you just will notice another $1K over time. I don't even think your wifey will care, as long as it's close and you are truly happy with your build. You're gonna love it if you do it right, which you are!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
PLDS is a very worthwhile addition especially on the sort of roads I enjoy most.

Entry and Drive is not having to go through pockets or worry about where the key is. I like it.

Not sure what package it is with but the enhanced interior lighting, like full leather, makes the car very inviting to be in- to me as a important part of Porsche as performance.
[...]
I agree with all this and after tonight I agree in spades about PLDS. After a dinner meeting in Berkeley, a friend sent me back to my hotel in the City via Grizzly Bear Road which turns out to be residential moutain road -- very twisted, with occasional viewpoints that span the Bay Area from horizon to horizon, and vertiginous drops. I hadn't realized the rugged Sierra range came so close to the Bay and in the dark I can't be sure. She might have sent me home via Zurich.

This is first time I've put the PLDS to a serious test and I was very glad I wasn't using standard headlights. It just felt like "Wow, this is a very well lit road for a country lane." until I realized it was the PDLS anticipating every twist and lighting up the turns ahead of me. Very useful and essentially undetectable in moving the light beams -- unless you stop to consider there are no bloody street lights on a mountainside.

Gary

Quick Reply: My Final(?) Build