Sponsored by:

Rattling on driver side tweeter area

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattling on driver side tweeter area

Any other member have an annoying rattling sound coming from the driver side dash tweeter area? it open rattles when over rough roads, but it sounds like a little piece of plastic or something keep rattling under the grill
Old 12-08-2012, 12:09 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

Is it rattling when it is off also( no music?)
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Nope, only on rough roads, on smooth pavement, no rattling noise. yes no music, I hardly turn on the stereo, the flat-six noise is all I need.

Originally Posted by shumi_9
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Edit: Sorry-- just realized you said dash, not door....

I think this may help you finding cause and to remedy:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...7-rattles.html
Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Tks, I'll check it out

Originally Posted by shumi_9
Originally Posted by fbroen
Edit: Sorry-- just realized you said dash, not door....

I think this may help you finding cause and to remedy:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...7-rattles.html
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had it. Solution was extra insulation applied at the dealer. Easy fix. No sweat.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Nice, tks for heads up!

Originally Posted by holminator
Had it. Solution was extra insulation applied at the dealer. Easy fix. No sweat.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Holminator,

Can you please elaborate what and where it was applied.
Under the dash? Steering column? Top of the dash?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Driver door (far left), passenger door (various), and C-pillar (back right). C-pillar remains intermittent. Will go back later. No dash rattle but the passenger door could be mistaken as such.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM
peterm
Racer

passenger door panel was replaced on my car under warranty (cost of 1800) rear c pillar has been addressed 3 times and is WORSE now going back in again as when its cold it is constant and the only thing i hear when i drive---im at 6k miles btw
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Had that same rattle. Thought it was the speaker, but no. The dealer's solution was to remove the door panel, tighten the clips that hold it against the door frame and place a bit of insulating foam tape along the front edge near the hard part of the airbag fixture. I suspect cold weather makes and looseness worse.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Yeah, rattles are hard to fix. Intermittent rattles especially. Can be done though. Takes time. Could also be the engine hatch covering or whatever it's called. Next time I'm going to ask the tech to walk me through how he took the pieces off so I can consider doing it myself. Made friends with him at the last visit. Good guy. He's trying hard.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:54 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, rattles are hard to fix. Intermittent rattles especially. Can be done though. Takes time. Could also be the engine hatch covering or whatever it's called. Next time I'm going to ask the tech to walk me through how he took the pieces off so I can consider doing it myself. Made friends with him at the last visit. Good guy. He's trying hard.
One thing to consider is items installed after the car left the factory. Cindy's NSX always had a sound like twanging a piece of tin when she went over an abrupt transition, like some driveways. Happened rarely, so she learned to consider it an eccentricity, but it was annoying honestly. Made the car sound cheap.

Then the dealer wrecked it. I'm in San Pedro Autobody going over the damages and trying to make light of a grim, angry, situation. "Maybe you can put it back together without that annoying rattle/twang behind the dash." (He could not. Put it back together that is. Car was totaled.)

"Oh, you mean the LoJack transmitter. Yeah, they do that a lot." Aaaaargh. I completely forgot the dealer had installed a LoJack. They keep its location on the car different every time and the information is very limited in distribution.

Gary
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Nasty. Sorry to hear that man.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Nasty. Sorry to hear that man.
The dealer, not the LoJack, I'm sure you mean. Yes. It really upset Cindy and she wanted me to have the car since she couldn't drive it since her stroke. On the other hand, the service writer was trying to be nice and get it serviced for her when she was too sick to take it in, so I was trying to be philosophical about "it's only a car" until the owner said she wanted the hulk removed from her garage because she needed that service bay and "it could have happened to anyone. You have insurance." With her aphasia after the stroke, Cindy kept asking me to explain that statement for a week after hearing it. But of course, there was no explanation, just a gormless attempt to avoid paying for a totaled exotic.

We had USAA insurance and they did do their best, getting us into a nice car for the duration while San Pedro and the USAA West Coast Damage Manager tried their best to save the car, but there's a federal limit dating from WWII about how much can be spent on damage repairs by an insurance company and we passed it. USAA gave us a generous check and a low-interest loan (this was pre-crash when loans were higher). And I got my first Porsche. Things happen.

Gary

Quick Reply: Rattling on driver side tweeter area