Sponsored by:

Final critique of 991S build

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Final critique of 991S build

OK you guys I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on the following build for a 991S:

Burmester® Audio Package $5,010
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus $6,155
Exterior Colors Z4 Basalt Black Metallic $710
Interior Colors NG Carrera Red natural leather interior $4,840
Exterior 498 Deletion of Model Designation $0
559 Window trim in high gloss Aluminum $395
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) $990
653 Sunroof in glass $1,990
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors $320
Performance 176 Sport Exhaust System $2,950
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $4,080
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) $3,160
640 Sport Chrono Package $2,370
Wheels XRT 20-inch SportTechno wheel Exclusive $1,355
Interior 022 Instrument Dials in Black $0
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0
Interior Leather 998 Natural leather interior $0
CUJ Fuse box cover in leather Exclusive $380
XNS Steering column casing in leather Exclusive $465
XPT Storage compartment lid with Porsche Crest Exclusive $330
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests Exclusive $285
Interior Carbon Fiber EEJ Carbon interior package (for leather interior and PDK) Exclusive $1,990
XHL Multi-function steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating Exclusive $1,250
XHM Center console trim in Carbon Exclusive $630
Interior Aluminum X70 Door sill guards in stainless steel Exclusive $425
Audio and Communications 641 Electronic logbook $650
Voice Control $595
UN1 Online Services $210
Destination Charge Amount $950
Vehicle price $138,885

Here's the link:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PD9YFDS2

After much contemplation, I made the following changes mainly due to advice given here in these forums:
I added the PSE due to overwhelming popularity
I kept the PDCC
I got rid of the adaptive cruise control with Porsche active safe after looking it up in the instruction manual (see my post elsewhere)
I substituted the illuminated carbon fiber sills with stainless steel door sills (mainly due to cost, but also because the steel stands out against the dark car better than the CF)

I do want to paint the sport techno wheels half body color (code XD9), but several dealers I spoke to say this may not be possible (although it's possible in the German configurator). What do you guys think of having them painted aftermarket (not sure if they'll do a good job, since it should be only half painted and I want it to look exactly the way it does in the German configurator)? If not, I might just stick with the standard Carrera S wheels and just add the colored center caps (I still slightly prefer the look of those S wheels, although the non-painted sport techno wheels are starting to grow on me after seeing them in actual photos).

This will basically be my DD, with hopefully occasional track days under the Porsche driving school.

Any comments/criticisms are welcome!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Wow amazing build. A few things I would consider are dials in white with white stitching, or some other color combo? Oh and center counsel in leather? I always thought it came in leather but it didn't!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:41 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ww007
OK you guys I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on the following build for a 991S:

Burmester® Audio Package $5,010
Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus $6,155
Exterior Colors Z4 Basalt Black Metallic $710
Interior Colors NG Carrera Red natural leather interior $4,840
Exterior 498 Deletion of Model Designation $0
559 Window trim in high gloss Aluminum $395
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) $990
653 Sunroof in glass $1,990
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors $320
Performance 176 Sport Exhaust System $2,950
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $4,080
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) $3,160
640 Sport Chrono Package $2,370
Wheels XRT 20-inch SportTechno wheel Exclusive $1,355
Interior 022 Instrument Dials in Black $0
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0
Interior Leather 998 Natural leather interior $0
CUJ Fuse box cover in leather Exclusive $380
XNS Steering column casing in leather Exclusive $465
XPT Storage compartment lid with Porsche Crest Exclusive $330
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests Exclusive $285
Interior Carbon Fiber EEJ Carbon interior package (for leather interior and PDK) Exclusive $1,990
XHL Multi-function steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating Exclusive $1,250
XHM Center console trim in Carbon Exclusive $630
Interior Aluminum X70 Door sill guards in stainless steel Exclusive $425
Audio and Communications 641 Electronic logbook $650
Voice Control $595
UN1 Online Services $210
Destination Charge Amount $950
Vehicle price $138,885

Here's the link:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PD9YFDS2

After much contemplation, I made the following changes mainly due to advice given here in these forums:
I added the PSE due to overwhelming popularity
I kept the PDCC
I got rid of the adaptive cruise control with Porsche active safe after looking it up in the instruction manual (see my post elsewhere)
I substituted the illuminated carbon fiber sills with stainless steel door sills (mainly due to cost, but also because the steel stands out against the dark car better than the CF)

I do want to paint the sport techno wheels half body color (code XD9), but several dealers I spoke to say this may not be possible (although it's possible in the German configurator). What do you guys think of having them painted aftermarket (not sure if they'll do a good job, since it should be only half painted and I want it to look exactly the way it does in the German configurator)? If not, I might just stick with the standard Carrera S wheels and just add the colored center caps (I still slightly prefer the look of those S wheels, although the non-painted sport techno wheels are starting to grow on me after seeing them in actual photos).

This will basically be my DD, with hopefully occasional track days under the Porsche driving school.

Any comments/criticisms are welcome!
I've gotta say the price is right, since it's what mine cost before negotiating a slim discount. It will be a lovely car. The only options that you should make sure in your own mind about are the PDCC, the voice control, and the dial color on the sport chrono. You've obviously considered the PDCC carefully and I'm sure the voice control as well. As for the sport chrono, I selected my car from a few units already built so I just waved away certain details like the sport chrono dial having been ordered with white dial. Turned out to be aesthetically pleasing that way, even though I have black instrument dials just like you're ordering.

Sounds trivial, but it's up there in your line of sight constantly. I'm glad mine is done in white.

Gary
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

You should be able to get the XD9, subject to an availability date I seem to recall seeing. If you really want it (and I think it'll be worth it) but the dealer doesn't seem to be able to get it, then I'd try going straight to Porsche via the contacts on their website. If still no dice then oh well, but for me, I would not change a thing from the factory. That's just me, but based on what I've seen over the years. Like the car, its a very personal thing.

This build in the 3D configurator is really something. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber, but it seems to work well here. That Carrera Red is going to be stunning. Salute!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:09 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

I probably won't get much love in this thread but I agree with everything you've selected with the exception of all the options!! I'd just get a base or a base "S" the rest is all fluff IMHO. That said its your buy do what you want!!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic build! This is an all out order...there are a bazillion different ways to configure these cars for a reason- to each this own! Regarding your wheel dilemma, some people think techno bring a retro look...but I've found that darker exteriors really match well with them: http://m.6speedonline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=292487

Check out the black with unpainted...looks killer good.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 AM
ArashApollo
Instructor

I love the cf trim. Especially with red interior. Does that come with black stitching already? Forget my comment about white sticking I didn't see your interior color. Black stiching and dials would look best.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 AM
Arctic Wolf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just add European Delivery and you're set!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 AM
ww007
Instructor

Originally Posted by simsgw
The only options that you should make sure in your own mind about are the PDCC, the voice control, and the dial color on the sport chrono. You've obviously considered the PDCC carefully and I'm sure the voice control as well. As for the sport chrono, I selected my car from a few units already built so I just waved away certain details like the sport chrono dial having been ordered with white dial. Turned out to be aesthetically pleasing that way, even though I have black instrument dials just like you're ordering.

Sounds trivial, but it's up there in your line of sight constantly. I'm glad mine is done in white.

Gary
Thanks for your suggestions Gary. Yeah I'm gonna see if the dealer has any vehicles with PDCC I can try. If not, I might just have to take it on blind faith.

I used voice control on my previous car (a BMW) pretty frequently to set addresses in the nav, place phone calls, and even play music. It was surprisingly accurate in recognizing street addresses, people's names in my phone book, and even artist's names from my iPhone! Anyone here have it on their Porsche and can vouch for its usefulness and accuracy? I guess I should try it out at my dealer first.

Regarding the dial colors, I think the general direction I'm trying to take this with build is to use 3 main colors: black, red, and silver/chrome accents. Right now, I think the colors work well together because we have the exterior which is mainly black with some red parts (the taillights) and silver/chrome accents (wheels, window trim), while the interior is kind of the inverse, being mainly red with some black parts (dials, CF trim) and silver accents (speaker grills, parts of the shifter, etc). I think a white dial would look out of place in my car since it would be the only white part in the entire car. Plus I think black goes better with red, which is why I chose to have the instrument dials blackened as well (along with the better contrast). I think the white chrono works well with yours because because according to your sig, you have a white car, so it complements the exterior color nicely. Of course this is all highly subjective.

Originally Posted by chuck911
You should be able to get the XD9, subject to an availability date I seem to recall seeing. If you really want it (and I think it'll be worth it) but the dealer doesn't seem to be able to get it, then I'd try going straight to Porsche via the contacts on their website. If still no dice then oh well, but for me, I would not change a thing from the factory. That's just me, but based on what I've seen over the years. Like the car, its a very personal thing.

This build in the 3D configurator is really something. I'm not a fan of carbon fiber, but it seems to work well here. That Carrera Red is going to be stunning. Salute!
Thanks Chuck! Yeah I used the CF to break up all the red (especially the steering wheel). Once I added it to the steering wheel, I pretty much had to change the rest of it as well to keep it consistent. And I think part of the reason it works is because it basically matches the exterior color like I mentioned above. I wish it weren't so damn expensive though!

Yeah I hope I can get the XD9 code... I think I'll just call Porsche to check for it myself before I go back to the dealer. If not, the pictures from oldman's link kind of convinced me to just keep the regular sport technos.

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
I probably won't get much love in this thread but I agree with everything you've selected with the exception of all the options!! I'd just get a base or a base "S" the rest is all fluff IMHO. That said its your buy do what you want!!
True true... but I love my toys! Besides, all those extras make the car actually feel like it is a $100k+ car (in addition to the performance of course).

Originally Posted by oldman40
Fantastic build! This is an all out order...there are a bazillion different ways to configure these cars for a reason- to each this own! Regarding your wheel dilemma, some people think techno bring a retro look...but I've found that darker exteriors really match well with them: http://m.6speedonline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=292487

Check out the black with unpainted...looks killer good.
Thanks for the link! That still does look pretty good... I'm sold! Plus I like how they're wider, lighter, and come with the colored center caps and spacers "built-in." I think they're only like $680 on top of the regular wheels if you include those two options.

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
I love the cf trim. Especially with red interior. Does that come with black stitching already? Forget my comment about white sticking I didn't see your interior color. Black stiching and dials would look best.
Thanks Arash! I think it comes with red stitching. I think I read somewhere else that the deviating stitching wouldn't be available to order until sometime early 2013, which is way too late for me. I'm totally fine with the red stitching, gives it a "clean" look. Cheaper too

Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf
Just add European Delivery and you're set!
Haha I wish I had the time. Wouldn't that mess up your break-in period though?? How can you take the Euro delivery and not let 'er rip on the Autobahn??? I've always wondered about that...

Thanks for all your comments and keep 'em coming!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add silver seatbelt..
Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build! Fabulous look inside and out. Very tasteful indeed. The only thing that I notice as upgradeable might be the backs of the 18-ways, which, when viewed from the outside through the windows in the configrator slightly break up the red/black theme. There is an option to leather-ize the backs for a whopping $1870, but then it is yet more red, which, depending on your eyeballs, is either good or bad. I'd prefer it to the plastic, but that's me. I went with the 14-ways (also all-red full leather in my order) to avoid it. I forget what the 18-way seatbacks look like in person, but they might compliment the CF stuff just fine. Go with YOUR instincts.

I also agree with your sticking with the black Sport Chrono face for your build. I ordered it in white, but then white is my exterior color.

I wonder too about the PDCC, I opted out but never drove it. Possibly too heavy and hydraulic pump reintroduced after getting rid of it for the steering? I just don't know, but given the cost and uncertainty, I didn't go for it.

Beautiful, beautiful car. I think you are going to love it dearly.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Great build! I would go with sport design steering wheel, the standard PDK buttons are pretty annoying IMO, thats the first thing I plan to change out on my 991s.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
You'll get it from me. My build looks austere next to this one, but due to the X51 engine, it still costs more...
Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM
ww007
Instructor

Originally Posted by pyramid
Add silver seatbelt..
Funny, my dealer suggested the same thing. I think I'll stick to regular black seat belts since they match the rest of the interior, plus it saves money. Although I have to admit it would be pretty cool to have different colored seat belts.

Originally Posted by 2wheels4me
Nice build! Fabulous look inside and out. Very tasteful indeed. The only thing that I notice as upgradeable might be the backs of the 18-ways, which, when viewed from the outside through the windows in the configrator slightly break up the red/black theme. There is an option to leather-ize the backs for a whopping $1870, but then it is yet more red, which, depending on your eyeballs, is either good or bad. I'd prefer it to the plastic, but that's me. I went with the 14-ways (also all-red full leather in my order) to avoid it. I forget what the 18-way seatbacks look like in person, but they might compliment the CF stuff just fine. Go with YOUR instincts.

I wonder too about the PDCC, I opted out but never drove it. Possibly too heavy and hydraulic pump reintroduced after getting rid of it for the steering? I just don't know, but given the cost and uncertainty, I didn't go for it.

Beautiful, beautiful car. I think you are going to love it dearly.
Thanks 2wheels4me! I plan on tinting my windows, so it should be pretty difficult to see inside You bring up a good point about the seat backs though, but I don't think it's worth the money to leatherize them; the grayish color looks OK to me. I wonder why the seats with the shoulder bolsters do not have leather on the back like the others though...

Seems like the main difference with the between the 14 and 18-way seats is the adjustability of the side bolsters for the seat cushion and back and the 14-ways don't have the extension of the side bolsters to the shoulders. For those that have the 18 way seats, how do you like them? Since our shoulders are wider than our torso, do you feel that they are tight around your shoulders but not enough grip on your torso (even though they are adjustable)? I had the adjustable side bolsters on by BMW and they were fantastic, but they didn't extend up to the shoulders.

For those with the 14 way seats, do you wish your side bolsters were adjustable and/or extended up to your shoulders?

As for PDCC, the people who have it seem to like it. I chose it mainly because it's supposed to improve ride quality without sacrificing cornering performance, or is that the other way around? We'll see...

Originally Posted by advantyper
Great build! I would go with sport design steering wheel, the standard PDK buttons are pretty annoying IMO, thats the first thing I plan to change out on my 991s.
Yeah I'd prefer the paddles myself, but the MF wheel is so practical for everyday use. What's up with Porsche not giving you the paddles with the MF wheel??? Seems like a big oversight to me. OTOH I had paddles on my BMW and maybe used them twice in 2 years, but that car had loads of low end torque (335i) and I never tracked it. Sounds like the PDK is pretty smart though so hopefully I wouldn't be using the paddles that much anyway...

And if I went for the sport design wheel, the interior would be totally different because I wouldn't have added the CF trims to break up to completely red steering wheel... not necessarily a bad thing but I'd have to rethink the whole interior!

Originally Posted by DrJay
You'll get it from me. My build looks austere next to this one, but due to the X51 engine, it still costs more...
Yeah the power kit is too rich for my blood...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:37 PM
ww007
Instructor

Well one of the dealers said they're probably gonna require about $20,000 non -refundable deposit to place the order. His justification was that it is a very pricey build and they want to make sure that I don't cancel the order. He did agree to a decent discount and I feel like this is their way of making up for the discount... By making me put up a huge amount of money up front. But $20k sounds outrageous to me and I was wondering what other people's experiences were regarding deposit money for customs builds. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Final critique of 991S build