Sponsored by:

Break-In Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Break-In Experience

Working on a toy computer here, so I'll have to make this brief. Just completed 2000 miles yesterday. A few observations about the PDK, but the only complaints are that it shares my frustration with break-in rev limits. Really isn't programmed to limit itself to the bottom half of the tach.

The car is so powerful, and has so much low-end torque, that I guarantee no-one in our vicinity knows I'm crippling its performance for break-in purposes. And of course the cornering...

Took picture at 2000 miles exactly. Happened at a picturesque location or I wouldn't have bothered. Will post when I have a decent computer.

Might have used one pint of oil. It's down one bar now, but I can't remember if it started llfe-with-Gary that way. In any case, with 2109 miles when I parked last night, including one track day at 300 miles, a pint of oil consumption is entirely acceptable.

More evaluation when I get back to my proper computer.

Gary
Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Very interested to hear your thoughts and experience; I am having a hard time staying away from the sport plus button during my break-in miles. I was wondering just how important is it to follow the 2000 mile rpm recommendation. I have every plan to do it but am not so sure of my very impatient spouse borrowing my new baby.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docmalone
Very interested to hear your thoughts and experience; I am having a hard time staying away from the sport plus button during my break-in miles. I was wondering just how important is it to follow the 2000 mile rpm recommendation. I have every plan to do it but am not so sure of my very impatient spouse borrowing my new baby.
I found Sport Plus completely unusable during break-in. PDK logic insists on downshifting into the power band between 5000-7500 and screaming away when a brisk but civil departure was intended. Uh... so I've heard. I personally would never do such a thing.

Best to think of the first two thousand miles as being like the warm-up exercises before serious exertion at your favorite athletic endeavor. Brief excursions that stretch the muscles do no harm, but we've all overdone that and felt a muscle start to cramp. Basically, new engines and chasses are like that. I posted more detail somewhere but this keyboard won't cooperate well enough even to synopsize that material.

If you (and your impatient spouse) keep the PDK in normal mode or in Sport at most, harm isn't likely. I did notice a tendency to bleeding ears and stunned expressions when I let it run to redline once yesterday, celebrating the completion of two thousand miles. So let's say no mechanical harm will ensue.

Gary
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sports+ is mostly useful on track, on the street I found Sports mode to be smart in switching between normal and aggressive mode. I think Sports+ won't upshift until you hit redline.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

918 miles on mine. Thinking I might stretch her legs a bit more at 1000. Its not just the frustration of not being able to unleash all her power but also the distraction of having to keep one eye on the tach all the time when trying to accelerate within the break-in limits. 4000 rpm is reached so quickly and effortlessly I find myself using the paddles most of the time to upshift.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn rain and icy mornings don't help either!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car had 200 miles on it when I got it. Never broke it in. Raced a charger on day two.
First oil change at 2000 miles none used I could measure. Changed oil again at 6000 miles again no measurable use.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
My car had 200 miles on it when I got it. Never broke it in. Raced a charger on day two.
First oil change at 2000 miles none used I could measure. Changed oil again at 6000 miles again no measurable use.
Chacun à son gout.

Le Gerard
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Chacun à son gout.

Le Gerard
Your right because YOUMV
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I followed the break-in guidelines to 800miles, then did a DE event with my 991s 7MT. Have 4000miles now, no problems, except for a clutch failure at 2400miles, which was faulty from the factory. I trust Porsche quality and expect there will be no long term durability effects from having cut the break-in period short. After engine assembly at the factory, engines are run in the test cell up to full operating temperature and run to redline under full load...
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 161 Posts

I ran my 991C2S w/7mt reality hard from the beginning. At 11k+ miles since June, the only issues so far is a nail in the right rear tire-TWICE. I'm so glad that I bought the tire coverage.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I ran my 991C2S w/7mt reality hard from the beginning. At 11k+ miles since June, the only issues so far is a nail in the right rear tire-TWICE. I'm so glad that I bought the tire coverage.
11K in 6 mos. You are driving your car more than most Porsche 911 owners. Way to go !!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bcdn
After engine assembly at the factory, engines are run in the test cell up to full operating temperature and run to redline under full load...
What? Their own technicians don't read the owner's manual?

Or, could it be there is nothing wrong with full throttle to redline?

Logically, either Porsche is destroying the motor before it leaves the factory, or they have another reason for telling new owners to take it easy. Like, the legal liability of telling new owners to run it full throttle up and down the gears, just make sure its warmed up first. I think we all know without being told why we will never see any owners manual telling new inexperienced owners to go right out and do that. So what we get is the official owners manual legal CYA.... while at the same time the factory runs them all right to redline, full throttle, the minute they're fully warmed up.

And then, if you're lucky enough to collect your car at Leipzig, they also have no problem with you running it hard on the track with zero miles on the clock- just take a couple warm-up laps first before go flat-out.

There is also a reason for the differences in oil consumption. Piston rings have springs, but are designed such that most of the force pressing them against the cylinder wall comes from combustion pressure. Cylinders when new have very fine honing ridges. Under full load these fine ridges act as files that will wear the rings into seating more perfectly. But the ridges are so fine that they will be worn down in short order regardless of how tenderly the motor is run. But running easy will not produce the forces necessary to fully seat the rings. So the full throttle run at the factory is not only not damaging, it is helping. As are full throttle runs the first 20-200 miles or so. After that, near as I can tell from all the available evidence, the cylinders are smooth enough that it really does not matter what you do.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bcdn
After engine assembly at the factory, engines are run in the test cell up to full operating temperature and run to redline under full load...
FWIW, today only a small percentage of random engines are run in hot like this as a quality control check. The vast majority are turned over cold on a test jig with a computer monitoring the process. The days when every engine was hot tested on the dyno are long past.

Anyway, another thread where we're arguing about this? Gary had it right above; everyone to his taste. There has been no scientific analysis that I've ever seen that proves what kind of break-in is best for the long term reliability of an engine. Just a lot of anecdotes and educated and not so educated opinions. So, you just spent $120K on a new Porsche and want to hammer it right off the lot? Go for it! You want to follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in? Knock yourself out! If it makes you feel good, it's the right way to go.

We should discuss something easier on which we can reach consensus like religion, or politics, or.....
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
There has been no scientific analysis that I've ever seen that proves what kind of break-in is best for the long term reliability of an engine.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

And, if it is indeed true that, "today only a small percentage of random engines are run in hot like this as a quality control check" then all that means is that either Porsche is destroying a smaller percentage by doing this (and ought to know they're wrecking them, but keep on doing it anyway) OR there really is nothing wrong with going full throttle to redline as soon as the engine is warmed up.

Certainly do not mean to be inflammatory, and have only the utmost respect for Gary, et al, but this seems a matter of logic and, like you said, science. Either they're wrecking them, or they're not, and if not then why would we be?

Quick Reply: Break-In Experience