Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone yet driven a 991 with the Powerkit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Has anyone yet driven a 991 with the Powerkit?

I searched, and could not find it if anyone has and reported it here. I am curious to know how it changes the car, beyond the 30hp more.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

It adds $20,000 to VW's bottom line.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
I searched, and could not find it if anyone has and reported it here. I am curious to know how it changes the car, beyond the 30hp more.
I have not driven a 991 with the powerkit, but from what I hear it is mainly for stretching the performance at the limit.

If you are looking for more low end torque, you might be happier with a turbo.

If you want to compete on the track.. well, it might make sense.. but then again, this is speculation on my part..
Old 12-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 82 Posts

A powerkit equipped 991 Carrera S with 430HP is going to be within about $15K of the new 991 GT3 which will have at least 450HP and by all accounts will be introduced in March 2013 with deliveries to follow in 6 months or so. If it were me, I'd seriously consider waiting to see what the GT3 will be like before spending 18 grand extra for an extra 30HP and sport exhaust on an S. Just my $.02.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If u track it and appreciate the dual nature of the CS it might be worth it. If driven on the street, not worth it at all. Car is already very fast. If you want the ultimate track toy, I agree with Mike. Wait for the GT3.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The other way of looking at it of course is that (assuming Mike correct) the GT3 will cost $15k more than a Powerkit S, and you'll be losing the eminent streetability and under the radar good styling, instead broadcasting to the world your wanna-be racer image. It all depends on your point of view, and shows yet again how Porsche is the master of incremental model/option marketing.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:07 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

What I liked about the 997 S with powerkit is that the car retained the DD ability but the character of the engine was changed and it became racier and revvier. IIRC ultimate torque numbers were actually unchanged, but the area under the curve was increased. I can't find a curve for the new 991 with Powerkit, and trust me, I have looked.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM
chuck911
Race Car

DrJay, when you say retained DD ability, and area under the curve increased, it sounds like you're saying the car has even greater tractibility (ie, useful low-end power) AND that its more eager revving in the top end at the same time. Which is exactly what would make me want to get it. Also what one would expect given the way they accomplished the increase. But when you say ultimate torque numbers unchanged, that makes me wonder.... Also it sounds like you've actually driven one.... can you clarify?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My solution is to wait until the 991 GTS is released. Given the fact that there have been GTS versions of the new Cayenne and Panamera released fairly quickly after the model debuted, I think it's reasonable to expect that a 991 GTS is en route, probably within 18 - 24 months. If it follows the previous practice - wide body, X51 engine, alcantara, etc. it will end up being a better deal financially than a C2S + X51.

DMoore
'11 997.2 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

My assumptions are based on recent info that has been coming out suggesting a GT3 with PDK will MSRP at about $135K, while a PDK equipped CS with PDK and powerkit is about $120K. If that delta is way off, then obviously it's a different ball game.

IMO, the GT3 has always been a very streetable car; it pushes the needle further toward track toy (not as far as the RS), but to some extent so do the powerkit cars. If the more aggressive styling of the GT3 is a negative for someone then that's another issue and a CS w/powerkit may be a better choice.

The reason I would want a powerkit would be for more performance, so to my way of thinking it makes sense to see what the next step on the performance ladder is like, and for what price before I dropped $120K+, especially since it appears we will know soon what the 991 GT3 has to offer. Spending that kind of money is not something I enjoy having any regrets or second-guessing about. Anyway, that's where I came from with my comment, not to suggest that a CSPK car is a bad choice.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I liked about the 997 S with powerkit is that the car retained the DD ability but the character of the engine was changed and it became racier and revvier. IIRC ultimate torque numbers were actually unchanged, but the area under the curve was increased. I can't find a curve for the new 991 with Powerkit, and trust me, I have looked.
Check Page 84 of the Oct/Nov/12 issue of Christophorus for the X51 horsepower and torque curves. Also, I think on another thread around the Powerkit someone posted the graph also. It may have been on 6 speed.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
DrJay, when you say retained DD ability, and area under the curve increased, it sounds like you're saying the car has even greater tractibility (ie, useful low-end power) AND that its more eager revving in the top end at the same time. Which is exactly what would make me want to get it. Also what one would expect given the way they accomplished the increase. But when you say ultimate torque numbers unchanged, that makes me wonder.... Also it sounds like you've actually driven one.... can you clarify?
Yes, the powerkitted engine has the same amount of torque as the non powerkitted engine, but it is spread through a greater RPM range, AND the engine is revvier and racier at the top end. Also, yes my 997 has the Powerkit, yes it is awesome and yes I have driven it which is why I am so interested in the new one.

MikeinCA, IMO the GT3 is not a very good DD in Minnesota, been there, done that, went with a Powerkitted C4S instead.

John, thanks for the directions, I will go look for the curve in those places.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

MikeinCA, IMO the GT3 is not a very good DD in Minnesota, been there, done that, went with a Powerkitted C4S instead.
A different reality. I should have paid more attention to your location. Unlike where I am in California, you have real winters in Minnesota, which changes the DD equation. Good luck with your decision on the powerkit.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Not as much midband improvement as I'd like to see, but a lot smoother and really pulls hard right to redline. If it also feels like it wants to rev out like that then it will be a worthy option.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:07 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

It looks similar to the previous X51 engine, max torque seems to be unchanged, HP is up, and it appears to want to pull hard all the way to 7500rpm. Area under the curve looks to be about the same, but significantly smoother, peaking a few hundred RPM later, and not dropping off as much.

Very intriguing. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Has anyone yet driven a 991 with the Powerkit?