Sponsored by:

am I the only one starting to really dislike the 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM
gjnockie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
I've had the car for about 2500 miles, I'm liking it less and less - it is a beautiful, fast car with many amazing features - but it is just huge - I didn't realize how gigantic the car was but I can barely get it into my driveway, and all those features make it "just a car" - I'm finding that I think about it just like a regular rental car - and that's not a good thing - I can press the sports button and go very fast, but it's just not fun like my 993 was, or like a 944, or even my 356. It lost the special "S" type front rubber lip the second day, it fell off every time I went into my driveway or many other driveways, so I bought a non "S" rubber lip - that is better engineered and it stayed on. I can't pull into many parking spaces because the car is too wide.

it has me thinking I should just sell the car back to the dealer and take the loss and be done with the darned thing..... grumble grumble - I'm seriously tempted to go back to the 356 or my Morgan +4 - those are nice small light cars without all the features (well, without any features...) or maybe my 944

what do you guys think?
Sell it and buy a Kia.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Sell it and get a Cayman R
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
2wheels4me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's unfortunate that it was "just an affair", and not everlasting love, but I do know what you are feeling, but not in terms of the 991.

Part of what got me to buy a 991 was a renewed definition of what fun driving a car can be happened early this year when my wife and I bought, of all things, a $17.5K Fiat 500 Sport. I have had five well optioned BMWs (1 540i, 2 330is, and 2 335is, including the all-new 2012 one), all with sport suspensions, that have gotten increasingly competent in commuting, handling, NVH, comfort, convenience, etc., but something was finally missing when I got the latest one.

We got the little bitty, cheap Fiat, put in over $3k in mods over time to the engine timing, exhaust (Borla), suspension, brakes, a few appearance items, etc., and now drive the snot out of it because it begs you to. It now handles like a slot car, weighs nothing, looks great (if you like that sort of thing), and is just endearing. It has little power, but if you wind it up and keep it on full boil, it attacks canyons hard and keeps up with sportbikes in the twisties (not the straightaways, of course!). It's just fun despite its limitations, and never fails to put a smile on my face; it is endearing. The three-times-more-expensive BMW on the same roads is nearly as competent in the turns with the sport stuff turned on, but isn't really much FUN.

That renewed sense of fun was provoked by the "lowly" Fiat and is largely responsible for me ordering a 991, which, especially with the Sport Exhaust on the test cars I drove, IS big fun to me. I was concerned that some of the reports of the refinements causing the 911 to lose that old-time feeling, but those apprehensions were obliterated when I drove one. So, I guess, I can understand the feeling, but am surprised that it would happen with the 991. It is still a relatively small and ferocious car that produced instant smiles with me.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spending over 100k and then finding I didn't really like the car is something I have done twice! I am not proud of this, but there it is. One was a 997.2 S cab that was terrific but too noisy in the cabin. That one trait that I never noticed on the long test drive, because my focus was elsewhere, bothered me more and more once the car became my dd. I Sold the car before the year was out. Selling one's 997 and going back to a 993, as I did, was done by more than few. The same could be the case with the 991, but in that case I don't think it will be to return to a 997. Since at 2500 miles you have already taken the depreciation hammering, why not drive it another 3000 miles to see if you two might meld. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Nah, Fiat Abarth.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 159 Posts

Sell it and move on. I love mine.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

You sure you're not driving a Panamera?
(if you have model emblem delete, it might be hard to tell...)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I've had the car for about 2500 miles, I'm liking it less and less - it is a beautiful, fast car with many amazing features - but it is just huge - I didn't realize how gigantic the car was but I can barely get it into my driveway, and all those features make it "just a car" - I'm finding that I think about it just like a regular rental car - and that's not a good thing - I can press the sports button and go very fast, but it's just not fun like my 993 was, or like a 944, or even my 356. It lost the special "S" type front rubber lip the second day, it fell off every time I went into my driveway or many other driveways, so I bought a non "S" rubber lip - that is better engineered and it stayed on. I can't pull into many parking spaces because the car is too wide.

it has me thinking I should just sell the car back to the dealer and take the loss and be done with the darned thing..... grumble grumble - I'm seriously tempted to go back to the 356 or my Morgan +4 - those are nice small light cars without all the features (well, without any features...) or maybe my 944

what do you guys think?

You ask what do you guys think. I think you should get out of it as fast as you can. It is not the car for you. It is not good for you. It is bad for your soul and may be rotting your mind.

The gigantic 2 in increase in length seems to have you thrown, and although it is no wider that a 987, you can't park it. (PS they just widened the track not the car). You are confused about the Sport PASM spoiler being a "special S" item. You class a 944 with a Morgan + 4. That you haven't decided to go away from it yet makes no sense to me.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have to laugh a bit at this. My 991 replaced an Audi TT-RS and a MINI JCW. It is BIGGER than both of those although in the grand scheme of things it's still pretty small. Ironically it won't fit in my one car garage, but that's because I've accumulated too much extra crap in there and I've been been doing some purging since I bought the Porsche so I will be able to. Meanwhile the car does get to reside under a carport when it's at home.
Trading in an almost new car for something that fits me better? I've done that before and while it hurts the pocketbook a bit, it's good for the soul in the long run. 991's arent' for everyone.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. Never heard any complaint of a 911 (any version) being "huge". It sounds like you have a very specific want/desire that the 991 isn't touching. What about a Lotus Exige? Very small and handles like a go-cart. One of my doc pals with one car of every brand imaginable says it is the MOST fun to drive.
At any rate if you don't like it then trade. We have all been there before and taken a bit hit on a car we thought we wanted but couldn't stand driving it after a couple months.
I love my 991 and find it very nimble and easy to drive and park compared to my R8 (very wide).
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

Wow, I feel like my 991C2S drives like a smaller car than my 993 did. I park it under my four-post lift with my BB512i on top with room to spare.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Have to laugh a bit at this. My 991 replaced an Audi TT-RS and a MINI JCW. It is BIGGER than both of those although in the grand scheme of things it's still pretty small. Ironically it won't fit in my one car garage, but that's because I've accumulated too much extra crap in there and I've been been doing some purging since I bought the Porsche so I will be able to. Meanwhile the car does get to reside under a carport when it's at home.
Trading in an almost new car for something that fits me better? I've done that before and while it hurts the pocketbook a bit, it's good for the soul in the long run. 991's arent' for everyone.
Have you ever come across the self deprecating humor about.. "only in America"... where one of the line items is ..

Only in America... we keep our crap worth nothing in our garage and our cars costing 10s of thousands (or 100s) of dollars outside
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

[...]what do you guys think?
I think that "other people's marriages" are said to be a continuing mystery. The same can be said of other people's divorces. You're ready for one, though your reasons will sound to most of us on this forum like complaining of waking up next to Keira Knightley or 'tolerating' Catherine Zeta-Jones cluttering one's life. There's always Betty White.

This makes a good example of how those beautiful cars end up in the CPO category with so few miles on their clock.

Gary
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

i like my car more now than i did at 2500 (8k now) but i hear ya. im thinking 997.2 is your answer.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
991Dreamer
Instructor

As always, pearls of wisdom from Gary.

Quick Reply: am I the only one starting to really dislike the 991