Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Exhaust for 991

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust for 991

I have been doing some research into exhaust for the 991 and I thought a topic that summarized what was available was in order. I am considering having factory PSE added to my 991 C2S or going aftermarket. I called the service department of the local dealer and he tried to talk me into a Tubi system so I thought I would start there. I see this as a living post and I will update the first post if it gets up some steam over time.

Tubi Style

http://www.ChampionMotorsport.com/pr...ubi-991-ex.htm

Cat back system with vacuum actuated cutout valves. I wonder is you are downshifting and the vacuum goes high do the valves close?

Notes:
Investment cast parts
32 pounds
Stainless steel
Made in Italy

List price $4650

TechArt

http://www.techart.de/en/techart-sho...-i/sounds.html

Information is hard to come by still researching.
It appears it has valves that are vacuum actuated based driving or able to be opened with a push of a "button"

List Price ?

Remus

http://www.remus.eu/news/remus-produ..._from_store=de

Cat back system with valves

Notes
Stainless Steel
Valve Control unclear

List Price ?

Fab Speed

https://www.fabspeed.com/carrera_991.html

Many Packages available from headers back to bypass pipes or tips.

Notes
Mandrel bent
Investment cast
Weight savings vary

List Price Varies

IPE

http://www.ipe-f1.com/p991.html

Headers back with variations with valves

Notes
Valves can be Auto, on, off
304 Stainless
List Price ?

Akrapovič

http://www.akrapovic.com/en/Automoti...%28Titanium%29
Notes
Slip-on line
Cat back
Titanium (?)
19.4 pound weight savings
Remote valve control (actuation is a little unclear they imply the car will control it?)

Scorpion Tuning

Collecting Information

FVD

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99..._and_Tips.html

What / who have I missed?

Last edited by Detroit Shooter; 12-03-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Porsche PSE? It would be good to have a direct compare for US legal systems price, HP gain claims.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

I'm a warranty chicken and a friend of Murphy I just ordered a PSE and will have the dealer install it. If sh#t is going to happen to my engine it will occur just after I leave the shop where an aftermarket exhaust is installed - it will most certainly be unrelated but Murphy's Law will apply
Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I'm a warranty chicken and a friend of Murphy I just ordered a PSE and will have the dealer install it. If sh#t is going to happen to my engine it will occur just after I leave the shop where an aftermarket exhaust is installed - it will most certainly be unrelated but Murphy's Law will apply
LOL
Old 12-02-2012, 02:16 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 78 Posts

Akrapovic.

we installed the 1st 991 Carrera S system in the US. the car also made it to SEMA @ Akrapovic stand. i drove the car for about 20 miles after install. i can tell u the sound is awesome, especially the downshift blip. very sick. build quality is typical Akrapovic awesomeness. the only problem is the price tag.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 AM
RennSport24
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
This made my day!!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Monday I am going to add to the first post, add info for each system. and hopefully additional systems.
I understand the warranty fear. I also want "stealth" mode. Which leads me to the factory system. I would like to hear whatever I add before I buy. That may be hard the early in the models life.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've installed Fabspeed on a 997 and AWE on an Audi S5. The PSE for the 991 is truly awesome. When it is turned off, it really is stealth below 3-4k rpm. Love it.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had sharkwerks and fabspeeds on every 911 I have heard. And I have heard the Porsche sport exhaust on the 997 and the 991. The PSE on the 991 is by far and away the BEST PSE I have EVER heard.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

First post info updated
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
exponential
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cargraphic offer a very nice set for 991

http://www.cargraphic.com/index.php?id=141356&L=1
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just curious, can anyone comment on the differences in sound between a non-PSE c2s versus a PSE equipped c2s with PSE turned off? i.e. is one more steath/quiet than another or about the same?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
just curious, can anyone comment on the differences in sound between a non-PSE c2s versus a PSE equipped c2s with PSE turned off? i.e. is one more steath/quiet than another or about the same?
I was wondering the same thing. does C2S non-PSE sounds exactly like C2S with PSE in off position? anyone?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Originally Posted by SB
I was wondering the same thing. does C2S non-PSE sounds exactly like C2S with PSE in off position? anyone?
I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone who has done the upgrade will chime in but I don't think so. It has a different main muffler.

My understanding is that without the S valve open the exhaust goes through the main muffler then out the side mufflers. You get no exhaust from the inside tips. When the valve opens the side muffle flow is allowed to go straight out of the back muffler which is the path of least resistance. Some may flow through the side mufflers but I think it would be very little.

Here is interesting info on both systems compliments of Psycho Sid

After doing a lot of reading and looking at pricing I think I am going to go with the factory PSE system. Unless you want something really aggressive and loud is seems to make the most sense, have the best resale and be the most cost effective.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
Smart move.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust for 991