Sponsored by:

New 991 build

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Nine One
I would recommend that you definitely drive a PDCC equipped car before you add it - try and get as close to your build as possible. If you go on the Porsche USA website you can check inventory on various dealers in your area. I drove the PDCC and did not like the feel at all. I like a little roll in a turn and the lack of it felt unnatural. Over time I probably would have gotten used to it. I never pushed the limit to where the grip breaks loose but I would worry that it would be more discrete feeling with the PDCC. Now, I know someone who had the opposite experience, so, it really seems to be a matter of personal opinion and only you can answer that.
Your experience mirrors mine and your advice is important. The big point is that you really need to try PDCC because for some of us PDCC is worse. That means it isn't a matter of "oh well, its only money, I might as well get it". Now with rear footwell lighting, it is different: it may not be worth the money, but if you get it your car isn't worse in any day-day bothersome way. Not to make you obsess about this, but trying is essential for PDCC, I think.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:52 PM
SiNi
Instructor

"Try before you buy" is an ideal way to go. But, I think it's easier said than done for many of us. Not only do you have to have the opportunity but unless you are a very experienced driver I think it takes a while to really appreciate something like PDCC.

I weighed up the pros and cons based on my own research, reports etc. and decided to get a PDCC 991 S. I had driven mine about 250 miles when I had to return it to dealer for a software fault on the PDK box. I was loaned non-PDCC car for a few days while mine was repaired and I really noticed the difference. I preferred the PDCC based on this experience but I was fortunate to have been able to drive both cars for several days on various roads at various speeds etc. (not track yet).

There is a lot to take in when test driving a high performance car like a 991 and the pros/cons of PDCC may be hard to judge initially. Ultimately I think you just have to go with your gut feel on this!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM
ww007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the sage advice. My BMW has just been declared a total loss, so looks like I'm gonna pull the trigger on this.

Sounds like I should at least try to drive the PDCC version just to see if I hate it, and if I don't, I'll probably just order it. Maybe the dealer will be nice enough to let me try both.

And I was just at the LA auto show... and the wheels did look pretty good lined up with the 5 mm spacers. And the regular silver trim did look a little on the plasticky side as some people have said (is it even real metal?), so I think I'm gonna add the brushed aluminum.

While I'm at it, I saw another member post pics of the Porsche crest embossed on seats and center console, which looked really nice so I think I'll add those too.

You guys are gonna be the financial death of me!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
ww007
Instructor

Ok I just test drove a 991 S cabrio today (the dealer didn't have a coupe available). This was non-PDCC and regular PASM, and it seemed to have absorbed bumps OK, nothing special that I could tell, though the roads we drove on weren't really that bad. Didn't really get to drive aggressively through twisties though, so couldn't tell much in terms of handling. Hopefully I'll get to drive a vehicle with PDCC from another dealer; still on the fence about it but probably leaning towards it.

Been thinking some options through and I think I'm going to change the following:

1. Change the brushed aluminum interior and center console trims to carbon fiber. Though pricey, these would match the steering wheel CF trim and also the black exterior (I think the red multi-function steering wheel just looks too plain). And I think the black CF goes better with the red interior than the silver trim.

2. I'm thinking of adding the dashboard in leather, but it's also very pricey at $1710. Does it make a significantly noticeable difference? Does anyone have this, and if so, can you share some pics?

3. Also thinking of adding the adaptive cruise control. Yes, this is supposed to be a sports car, etc etc. But it might come in handy in LA traffic and this is going to be my DD. Anyone have this option? How aggressively will it brake if, say, a car suddenly cuts in front of you at a much slower speed? Can it prevent an accident?

Here's a demonstration in a Cayenne:

3. I'm thinking of adding the sport techno wheels if I can paint them half black like in this video that someone else had linked to before:
The way I figure, it already has center caps with Porsche crest and are wider so I don't need to order the 5mm spacers (actually you can't even order the spacers with this wheel). Since I was going to order those two options anyway, the techno wheels are "only" $680 on top of that. The only problem is, I don't really like the look of the stock techno wheels, but I think the half black ones look AMAZING. Unfortunately, I don't see a way to order that in the configurator. Is this an aftermarket change?

Here is the link to my build: http://www.porsche-code.com/PDCMIKW2

What do you guys think?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Will be interesting to hear your feedback on the PDCC.

Personally I am not keen on the CF trim. I think it looks a bit plasticky! I like the stock Galvano trim - others think this looks plasticky so each to his own! But with black leather the silver centre console trim (aluminium or galvano) breaks up the dark interior.

I think the leather dash is fantastic especially with contrast stitching. I have black leather with platinum stitching.

I am not sure about Adaptive Cruise. If you have it, the cruise is always in "adaptive mode" i.e. you don't have the option of normal cruise or adaptive cruise. I think this would freak me out and possibly cause confusion when driving other family cars with normal cruise!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Was at the dealer yesterday asking about a couple of these same things. Stock Galvano trim is metal. Sport Techno wheel design is superb, and yes they can be painted. Use the Configurator on the Germany website to see what it looks like. The extended dashboard in leather, every car I have seen the standard finish matches well enough with leather its very hard to tell unless you're looking for it that it has the extended leather. Only place it really shows up is covering a vent area, and even that is only visible when the door is open. For the same money though you can get vents painted (or done in leather, or carbon fiber) which also changes the black plastic vents to blend in with the interior, and THAT is VERY noticeable.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
ww007
Instructor

Those wheels look so freaking sweet...

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PDQG2F52

(that isn't my full order btw, just what the exterior would look like)

Although I'm not quite sure how to explain to the salesperson to order "Felgenstern lackiert in schwarz. Hinweis: Frühestens verfügbar ab KW 01/2013" (I don't want to tell them to just paint it black as they might just paint the whole wheel black?). Wonder why it's not on the U.S. configurator. Says it's about 1300 euros... would probably cost around the same in dollars? Pretty expensive but wow... so nice.

Regarding the carbon fiber trim, yeah I guess it's just a matter of taste, but to me it goes with the red interior nicely and matches the exterior as well.

And I'm trying to cut some cost out, so I think I'll skip the leather dashboard. Thanks for helping me to decide chuck911.

The adaptive cruise control might be a good safety feature... preventing minor fender benders in heavy traffic. Maybe even preventing major accidents? And I never pretty much never use cruise on any other cars so I don't think that will be a problem SiNi!

It's also interesting to note that the dealer I spoke to yesterday for my test drive said that PDCC does nothing for ride comfort and daily driving. He said he's driven it on the track before and you can only notice the difference if you know what you are doing and really push the car hard. So add to the confusion!

I think I want to make a few minor changes as well:

1. Just "Porsche" lettering on the rear. The full thing looks a little busy and "Porsche 911" looks kind of off too... wish they had a just "Carrera S" option.

2. Carpet in black. I think this will break up the red interior nicely. This doesn't seem to be an option in the configurator either... Will it cost extra?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read on this forum somewhere about 6 weeks ago that Porsche stopped offering .the Sport Techno wheel with black option. Something to do with the paint not standing up??
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

007, all you need is the Option Code XDA on your order sheet. All these options are the same regardless of country. Maybe someone can explain why, but I commented to my rep that if an option is available in one country its available in all and he pretty much agreed. (There may be some differences due to local laws, Australia for example seems to mandate rear window wipers.... go figure... and yes I've been playing around with it A LOT! LOL!) BTW its not just black, you can also have them painted matching or contrasting with your body color. This is what they did with the Brewster Green Club Sport for example. I actually think that wheel looks great even standard finish, but definitely agree it is sweet painted like this.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
SiNi
Instructor

Originally Posted by ww007

It's also interesting to note that the dealer I spoke to yesterday for my test drive said that PDCC does nothing for ride comfort and daily driving. He said he's driven it on the track before and you can only notice the difference if you know what you are doing and really push the car hard. So add to the confusion!
his doesn't seem to be an option in the configurator either... Will it cost extra?

Thanks!
Well to quote from page 47 of "The new 911" book regarding PDCC "The results are improved dynamic performance and increased ride comfort at all speeds, as well as optimised turn-in and stable load characteristics. In simple terms, the vehicle holds the road better and you can steer through corners faster in a more relaxed manner. PDCC sets new standards for handling performance, ride comfort and driving pleasure".

I think you will draw your own conclusions from this but not sure I would trust your dealer's comments! In my experience of just over 800 miles of driving on normal roads I would completely agree with the book's description of PDCC!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

007, your car is Basalt Black, very close to black so you may not care, but if you want the wheels to match Basalt Black its code XD9. If it was me, even though its very close, I sure would want them matching...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Only two suggestions would be heated steering wheel and multi function wheel.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Oh the pleasurable headache of decisions, decisions.

If you have not seen it and care to read one more thing on the PDCC, here are some thoughts and nice shiny pics...

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...carrera-s.html
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM
ww007
Instructor

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
I read on this forum somewhere about 6 weeks ago that Porsche stopped offering .the Sport Techno wheel with black option. Something to do with the paint not standing up??
Really? I tried searching for this but couldn't come up with anything. Do you have a link?

Originally Posted by SiNi
Well to quote from page 47 of "The new 911" book regarding PDCC "The results are improved dynamic performance and increased ride comfort at all speeds, as well as optimised turn-in and stable load characteristics. In simple terms, the vehicle holds the road better and you can steer through corners faster in a more relaxed manner. PDCC sets new standards for handling performance, ride comfort and driving pleasure".

I think you will draw your own conclusions from this but not sure I would trust your dealer's comments! In my experience of just over 800 miles of driving on normal roads I would completely agree with the book's description of PDCC!!!
Yes I think that's what it says on the web site also. I'm hoping it's not just marketing hype. I know that dealers are not always the most knowledgeable people even for the cars they sell, but the one I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable and honest. If anything, I'd think he'd be trying to UPSELL the PDCC to me. But yeah strange how what he told me and what's on Porsche's own web site are two opposite things.

btw what is this book you are referring to? Is this the instruction manual?

In any case you have influenced me to get the PDCC (although I'm still gonna try to do a test drive if possible)... unless it's absolutely unbearable, I think I'm gonna go with it! Thanks for making my wallet $3000 lighter!

Originally Posted by chuck911
007, your car is Basalt Black, very close to black so you may not care, but if you want the wheels to match Basalt Black its code XD9. If it was me, even though its very close, I sure would want them matching...
Good point Chuck. I noticed that option too (the pictures were pretty self-explanatory although I can't read German).

Thanks for the codes... I think I will go with the XD9 option. Any other body color and I would've just gone with the black. Probably can't tell the difference from a distance but it would be a nice "oh cool" effect once you get a closer look and realize it has the same metallic properties as the body paint. Plus it will be nice to share the same touch-up paint as the body lol

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Only two suggestions would be heated steering wheel and multi function wheel.
Yep the carbon fiber, multifunction, and heated wheel are all under one check box... thanks!

Originally Posted by fbroen
Oh the pleasurable headache of decisions, decisions.

If you have not seen it and care to read one more thing on the PDCC, here are some thoughts and nice shiny pics...

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...carrera-s.html
Thanks for the car **** I found this to be the most salient point regarding PDCC: "The PDCC system compares the readings to that generated on the other side to measure body roll, and the PASM active damping system uses them to understand the motions of the wheels in order to determine the amount of damping required, be it for ride, cornering, dive/squat, etc. It's likely the headlights use 'em too for auto-leveling."

Sounds like they are inferring that the PDCC does improve ride quality, at least in conjuction with the PASM.

Well folks I think this will be very close to my final build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PDHXB2E2

Basically:

P3A Burmester® Audio Package $5,010
P3C Premium Package Plus with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus $6,155
Exterior Colors Z4 Basalt Black Metallic $710
Interior Colors NG Carrera Red natural leather interior $4,840
Exterior 498 Deletion of Model Designation $0
559 Window trim in high gloss Aluminum $395
636 ParkAssist (front and rear) $990
653 Sunroof in glass $1,990
748 Electric folding exterior mirrors $320
Performance 250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) $4,080
352 Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) $3,160
640 Sport Chrono Package $2,370
Wheels XRT 20-inch SportTechno wheel Exclusive $1,355
Interior 022 Instrument Dials in Black $0
456 Adaptive cruise control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS) $2,490
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) $0
Interior Leather 998 Natural leather interior $0
CUJ Fuse box cover in leather Exclusive $380
XNS Steering column casing in leather Exclusive $465
XPT Storage compartment lid with Porsche Crest Exclusive $330
XSC Porsche Crest on headrests Exclusive $285
Interior Carbon Fiber EEJ Carbon interior package (for leather interior and PDK) Exclusive $1,990
XHL Multi-function steering wheel in Carbon incl. steering wheel heating Exclusive $1,250
XHM Center console trim in Carbon Exclusive $630
Audio and Communications 641 Electronic logbook $650
671 Voice Control $595
UN1 Online Services $210
Destination Charge
Amount $950

Vehicle price $138,000

Add only:
-carpets in black (anyone know pricing on this??)
-the XD9 code to paint the sport techno wheels half body color (basalt black): $1200-$1500??
-maybe door sills in carbon (+/- the lighting)... any thoughts??

Damn you Porsche for making me spend $10k-$20k more than I wanted to!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Contrasting carpet is $650 I think. What about sport exhaust ?

Quick Reply: New 991 build