991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue brake calipers for Aqua blue 991?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012 | 03:59 PM
iLeo
Advanced

Default Blue brake calipers for Aqua blue 991?

What do you think? And do you have any pictures?

It's still a couple of months till I my Aqua Blue queen arrives, but I can't stop thinking about it!

I'm thinking of painting calipers blue instead of red (once it arrives) ... any opinions?

Oh,
Keep in mind that I've chosen interior color to be Carrera Red. So, red calipers would match interior.

Any Photoshop expert around?

Last edited by iLeo; 11-26-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2012 | 04:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I remember the days when Porsche ownership was centered on performance and driving fun. The looks were a given based on its timeless form follows function design, and no one cared about doodads, and bling was frowned on.
Old 11-25-2012 | 04:54 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I remember the days when Porsche ownership was centered on performance and driving fun. The looks were a given based on its timeless form follows function design, and no one cared about doodads, and bling was frowned on.
Each to his own, of course, but until we get to the GT3, there's not much on the menu as far as performance goes other than the Power Kit, which I think is probably money well spent.

These days, Porsche is all about tinsel and bling -- shiny paint on flimsy plastic decorations -- and I think the 911 Turbo has always brought the bling in order to be sure it had something to stand out from the (to the uninitiated) practically identical base model Carrera from three years prior.

As for blue calipers, sure, why not, it's not expensive to get this done aftermarket and the calipers are quite visible in some wheel designs on the 991. I saw a 575 I quite liked in blue with blue calipers and sadly, blue contrast leather and piping in the cabin. I think it was a nice touch and subtle ... far more subtle than resorting to yellow calipers to draw attention to ceramic rotors.

Come to think of it, I was also shopping for an '09 Aston and found one in blue with blue calipers. You could surely go back to the late 80's and find a number of 911's in blue with blue motif taken from the seat belts and cabrio canvas to the seats and you name it.

The only place I draw the line on style becoming painful to the eye is colored gauge faces -- yellow on a tach is one thing, it's a signature Ferrari styling queue, but when I see all red or all yellow gauges in a 997 ... oh dear ... : ) ... the 993 had optional silver gauge faces and they're now a prized feature and rare find at the parts dismantler shelves. If I were to bother painting or repainting a caliper to repair it, I'd probably go with boring, old silver ... I've never understood why Porsche took red calipers from Brembo and made it the norm. Are they even Guards Red? or just random Brembo caliper red? In any case, that caliper red isn't going to match a Carrera leather red -- just like the red option seat belts as standard in the GT3 don't even resemble the red of the calipers (nor do they have any visual connection.)

Personally, I'd suggesting taking the caliper paint budget and applying it to ordering the steering column cover in leather. It's a ludicrous $500 +/- but you see it every time you sit behind the wheel and the default hard plastic is absurdly low quality for such an expensive car.
Old 11-25-2012 | 05:18 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

A blue car with red interior.... Paint the calipers white. PBR limited edition

Matt
Old 11-25-2012 | 05:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)

Matt
Cruel, but fair. : )
Old 11-25-2012 | 05:27 PM
chuck911
Race Car

FWIW, if anything I would be painting the wheels to matching body color not the calipers. Then, if the calipers were worth changing color at all it would have to be a contrasting color. But probably only if the contrasting color went with something else- yellow calipers say with yellow seat belts.

I don't see anything wrong with any of this, but for me anyway a little goes a long way. I'm thinking of an all Speed Yellow and black 911 I saw one time. All the trim, and all the stitching, Speed Yellow. Everything else, black. A real eye catcher. Took a ton of photo's. By the time I got back and looked at the pics (yeah, film days) it had already lost its appeal. Looking back a them now, I wonder how the guy was able to live with that car. I mean, even his bleepin' cell phone, on its freekin' cell phone holder, was all yellow and black.... and his kid..... yellow and black Tweety Bird baseball cap.....yikes! Take my advice, don't go there! LOL!
Old 11-25-2012 | 06:39 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

BRAKE calipers....
Old 11-25-2012 | 06:49 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iLeo
What do you think? And do you have any pictures?

It's still a couple of months till I my Aqua Blue queen arrives, but I can't stop thinking about it!

I'm thinking of painting calipers blue instead of red (once it arrives) ... any opinions?

Oh,
Keep in mind that I've chosen interior color to be Carrera Red. So, red calipers would match interior.

Any Photoshop expert around?
Ah, no. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...340--golf.html

But I do recommend a neon light package for the undercarriage. :0)
Old 11-25-2012 | 06:55 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

I'm on the fence about spinners (not for myself of course as I am too boring) but it has been done in London I hear. lol Please forgive my feeble sense of humor. Red or black calipers are best. Would also recommend a gray or black interior.

Old 11-25-2012 | 06:59 PM
clembo
Instructor

I think the red calipers are a good contrast to the blue exterior. I have seen a company advertised in the back of Autoweek that offers different colors for calipers.
Old 11-26-2012 | 11:48 AM
iLeo
Advanced

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions, I thought my extreme excitement would spill over everyone else, but obviously it didn't

Well, I remember when Nokia used to be the best mobile company in the world. We live in today's world. Beside, it's not that everyone has the option. I live in a place that has no tracks (not a single one), so, what performance are you talking about? A Carrera is already an overkill in such a situation.

As for blue calipers, sure, why not, it's not expensive to get this done aftermarket and the calipers are quite visible in some wheel designs on the 991. I saw a 575 I quite liked in blue with blue calipers and sadly, blue contrast leather and piping in the cabin. I think it was a nice touch and subtle ... far more subtle than resorting to yellow calipers to draw attention to ceramic rotors.
Thanks, that's encouraging

That's subjective, and also
However, and although I don't need to explain or convince anyone, here it goes: I never thought that combination could work myself. In fact, I never even thought of blue in the first place, and I ordered basalt black with red interior (red interior was a must for me, I had it on my Cayman, loved it, can't imagine myself in any other color). Then I saw Aqua Blue with Red interior in front of me on the street one day, and boy oh boy I was absolutely wrong about thinking it won't work. I went to the dealer and changed my order to Aqua blue, as it's much more colorful than black, or any other colors I consider to be within the "boring category" such as silver & white (although White would be great with red interior, but that's exactly the colors of my Cayman, and I need to change).

chuck911
thanks for sharing

BRAKE calipers..
It seems that +25 years of learning and using English as a 2nd language is not enough to get perfect, after all, maybe there's a reason why people have only one tongue! Have corrected the typo, thanks for highlighting.

holminator
Thanks for the suggestion

clembo
Thanks,
Well, there are plenty of pictures of red. I'm trying to find any with blue, I'm not sure it exists.. which make me want it even more!
Old 11-26-2012 | 02:24 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

iLeo, you are a gentleman. Much respect.
Old 11-26-2012 | 09:12 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

I meant no harm - was just having some fun... my bad. It's your car do as you like. I did with mine when I painted mine silver

Matt
Old 11-26-2012 | 10:42 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

We ordered a 991 S, primarily my wife's car. She know for sure she wanted Aqua blue. I wanted to put Carrera Red interior. She said no. Too much contrast. I wanted then to put expresso interior. No ! Too dead. So she spec'ed platinum grey. She wears the pants here, but it's her car. But I wish I had Red. I would love to see your car when you get it and live precariously through you.

Personally I think blue calipers would be a little much on the car. What wheels are you getting? We got the classic 20" and want to see the wheels instead of diverging the focus onto the calipers. Either keep them red or get them in the ceramic yellow of the Nissan GT-R, which I think has the best looking brake calipers around.

Good luck whichever way you choose. It's your car and guess what, if you don't like it, change it to another color. No big deal. Experiment and enjoy.
Old 11-26-2012 | 10:54 PM
Buddhabelly
Advanced

Traditionalists and traditions don't work in the real, modern world. About 10 years ago or so, when I could get in and out easily from a Porsche, I commuted 33 miles 1 way in a 993. I HATED THAT IT DID NOT HAVE A CUP HOLDER. Traditions didn't mean diddle swat. And never will.

Now we have 5 cars for all different functions, all have cup holders and cameras and all other blings. And I like it. I even tried to modernize my 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 with personal creature comfort. Change and adapt or become a dinosaur.

Originally Posted by ADias

Quick Reply: Blue brake calipers for Aqua blue 991?