Sponsored by:

Surprising discovery / rev-matching

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
A modern car is the creation of its computers. So was my 1965 MG Midget.

My secretary had a Midget back in the late 60s. Being a prangster I couldn't resist picking up the rear end so that the wheels turned in. Of course we all couldn't wait until quitting time to see the look of horror on her face as she approached her car.
It just so happened that I had a Triumph GT6 at the time. My recollection is that it had around 100 HP and maybe a curb weight of around 2K lbs. It may be hard to believe to those who can't conceive of a car being fun to drive unless it has 400 HP, but dam was that car a ball to drive on the hilly country roads that I use to drive to work. With all the shifting I had to do to make it up the steep hills, I use to pretend that I was at Monte Carlo.
I apologize for being off topic, but the mention of the Midget just triggered some old fond memories.
That's okay. My memories are just as fond. But are you sure your secretary didn't have a Spitfire? They were contemporaries and about equal in fun and performance, but the Spitfire had the cherished swing-axle form of independent suspension. Picking up the rear end was visually ... upsetting is the best word I suppose. The Midget had a live axle, which tells us how old the technology is since it distinguishes itself from being 'dead'. (Actually, I think the predecessor solid axles were bolted to the frame, while the 'live' axles were bolted to leaf springs which served as locating members, like the trailing arms of a modern suspension. But I'm speculating. That was before even my time. We'd need to ask a museum curator to get a good answer.)

In any case, picking up a Midget did nothing dramatic except strain one's back.

Gary
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
That's okay. My memories are just as fond. But are you sure your secretary didn't have a Spitfire? They were contemporaries and about equal in fun and performance, but the Spitfire had the cherished swing-axle form of independent suspension. Picking up the rear end was visually ... upsetting is the best word I suppose. The Midget had a live axle, which tells us how old the technology is since it distinguishes itself from being 'dead'. (Actually, I think the predecessor solid axles were bolted to the frame, while the 'live' axles were bolted to leaf springs which served as locating members, like the trailing arms of a modern suspension. But I'm speculating. That was before even my time. We'd need to ask a museum curator to get a good answer.)

In any case, picking up a Midget did nothing dramatic except strain one's back.

Gary
As I recall it, cornering in a Spitfire was as visually upsetting from inside the car as from the outside, and, over bumps a Sprigette had a VERY live(ly) rear axle!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:44 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
As I recall it, cornering in a Spitfire was as visually upsetting from inside the car as from the outside, and, over bumps a Sprigette had a VERY live(ly) rear axle!
All true. So very true.

Gary
Old 11-24-2015, 07:08 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

So, there I was searching for a thread on auto rev matching, and look what I found... Looks like he backed up on the freeway, and took that exit after all.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
: )

A gauntlet thrown in the face of relevance.

Well said.

This reminds me of a response by a respect journalist in the USA (yes, they have one or two!) to Donald Trump attempting to pervert the course of the US Presidential election by mocking the office of the President and instead turning himself into an *** clown and attracting deserved mockery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQAy6xWtgI4
Old 11-25-2015, 11:42 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if there is a rev-match plug-in/software if you don't currently have it?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

BTW - If you turn off PSM, while in Sport Plus, you no longer get rev-matching on the down shifts. Seems to me that Sport Plus is "Track Lite" while Sport Plus minus PSM is "Old School Track" - way fun
Old 11-26-2015, 10:25 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
BTW - If you turn off PSM, while in Sport Plus, you no longer get rev-matching on the down shifts. Seems to me that Sport Plus is "Track Lite" while Sport Plus minus PSM is "Old School Track" - way fun
I was just going to ask how to turn off the rev-match.

Is there a difference between Sport and Sport Plus beyond rev match? Does the throttle response change or stability intervention threshold?

Suspension I can set with the PDCC button.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM
mose121
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rev matching was introduced as of production week 45 in 2012, or starting on or around November 5th.

Quick Reply: Surprising discovery / rev-matching