Sponsored by:

Surprising discovery / rev-matching

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:01 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surprising discovery / rev-matching

So I took the car out today and put it in Sport Plus mode for the very first time. When I was approaching an intersection, I engaged the clutch and downshifted but before I could blip the throttle, the car blipped the throttle for me!!! WTF!!

I did it a few more times to make sure I wasn't imagining things and the car did the rev matching for me!

I thought this feature was only being installed in the C4S! Any one else with a 2013 manual experience this rev matching in sport plus mode?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:54 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's my understanding the rev matching is for both C2S and C4S. I went with PDK so it comes naturally.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
It's my understanding the rev matching is for both C2S and C4S. I went with PDK so it comes naturally.
Hi John,

yes - but we expected the manual transmission rev matching ability to come much later (2014+) for the C2/S and this gentleman has it already in his recent delivery - very interesting!

For those with a 2012 7MT, we are wondering if there is a significant hardware difference or if it is possible to upgrade the software or otherwise add the ability to our car.

For those that just ordered or are awaiting their manual transmission cars, it would be pretty cool to find that rev-matching ability already on the car and you had no idea it was there, as we were not told it would be ready yet. Just very neat stuff.

Last edited by Nicoli35; 11-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:36 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does PDK do this rev matching only in the C2S or also in the C2 ?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
Does PDK do this rev matching only in the C2S or also in the C2 ?
PDK always rev-matches on downshifts, since it was introduced back in 2009.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM
DBYT
Pro

I went for a long drive in the country today and can CONFIRM that in Sport Plus mode, my mid Oct build 7 speed manual C2S has rev matching. Looks like Porsche added it to the 13 C2S as well. Kind of takes the fun out of doing your own heel and toe shifts but once in a while when you are feeling lazy, it is a cool option to have.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Is there NOTHING they will leave to the driver!!!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's junk like this that is making me seriously reconsider owning a 991 - I'm approaching 2K miles and I am seriously considering taking it back, taking the loss whatever it is and getting a smaller "real" car - I didn't realize how huge and how automated it was - I'm driving my 944 that has 250K miles and is in terrible shape and I'm enjoying it more. grumble grumble.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a big piece of junk, silly throttle blipping; how Porsche dare they?

Real question for those who don't want it is how hard is it.to turn this off?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:06 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum

Real question for those who don't want it is how hard is it.to turn this off?
turn off Sport Plus
Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Is there NOTHING they will leave to the driver!!!
This one is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, from all the new gismos, I like this the best.

Not everyone can H&T perfectly from day one.. It could act as a learning , supplementary device.

But, if you can't turn it off individually and on demand, then yes, I agree, it is one more new-age e-barrier between the man and the machine.

How hard can it be, to put just one more small button somewhere there. It's not like they don't have a big console..

Even Nissan offered an off button for their "SynchroRev" version.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry, i don't understand why i would want an auto blip on my manual transmission? that is one of the reasons you are presumably getting a manual - in order to have fun rowing up AND down the gears.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM
enduro963
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
sorry, i don't understand why i would want an auto blip on my manual transmission? that is one of the reasons you are presumably getting a manual - in order to have fun rowing up AND down the gears.
I do have fun rowing in my 997S, but i have not mastered heel and toe. I'm only at the track once or twice a year and can never practice in peace with the traffic. So I welcome this option on 991 and hope to get mine soon!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
It's only on when Sport Plus is engaged so you have normal and Sport mode to play with in terms of heel and toe. No big deal.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
This one is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact from all the new gismos, I like this the best.

Not everyone can H&T perfectly from day one.. It could act as a learning , supplementary device.

But, if you can't turn it off individually and on demand, then yes, I agree, it is one more new-age e-barrier between the man and the machine.

How hard can it be, to put just one more small button somewhere there. It's not like they don't have a big console..

Even Nissan offered an off button for their "SynchroRev" version.
Every electronic "driver aid" should have an off state. Completely off, switch off, disconnected, no residual involvement whatsoever. Including ABS, if you ask me. Including power steering and of course stability in its various incarnations and manifestations.

Otherwise, where to draw the line?

Automatic wipers that simply refuse to not wipe, even when it means smearing the screen into a haze of sunlight glare?

How about an automatic radio that plays no matter what, and adjusts its own audio level, no matter what the driver might do?

Automatic headlights that come on and drain a weak battery that would have otherwise just barely started the engine?

Automatic seats that plow forward to force the driver into an "ideal" driving posture no matter the skills or physical needs of the driver?

Where do they draw the line?

I wish they'd start with making the cabin design free from insufferable air buffeting with the windows down, before they deny the driver any involvement in the car at all -- they (car makers) should have no say in whether or not a driver might be able to enjoy a double-de-clutch downshift just for the f'king fun of it.

Quick Reply: Surprising discovery / rev-matching