Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking some input on this 991 build..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seeking some input on this 991 build..

Close to making a final decision on this and seeking some comments, inputs, suggestions. Thanks.

What I have figured out as a gotta have:

991 Base
GT Silver (I really really like the color and cannot imagine my car with anything else)
Premium plus Package w/ 18 way Adaptive Sports Seats (USA package)
Full Black Leather Interior
PDK
Folding Power Mirrors
Glass Sunroof
Park Sensors Front & Rear
Multifunction Wheel
Heated Wheel
Adaptive Cruise Control (for stop n go highway traffic when it is too painful to drive a fast car slow with your foot on the pedal)
Online Services.

---------
What I am still debating...

PASM + PTV Plus (Somehow not having PTV is not sitting well with me, please convince me it’s unnecessary )

Sport Tailpipes (I think I like the look better) but may ultimately pass on this.

Aluminum Brushed trim (only because I am worried about the glare or reflections in the windows from the glossy trim) …any thoughts on this?

Natural Leather interior (hopefully this is available in black as an exclusive option) since I am not sold on the espresso color and personally red in not my thing. Ideally I want to see if exclusive can do a Natural black leather with a light (platinum grey??) headliner. Still, I worry about the delicateness of the leather vs. the Full leather.

Burmester Package or add HD Radio as an option to the Base Sound Package Plus (I really have to spend time with this at the dealer), but comments are welcome. As far as sound goes, I like clarity and richness of sound more so that the base which I almost always turn down and frankly, I have never liked Bose in any car. I find the sound fatiguing. For a $5k luxury option, I have to think hard, besides I will not use the XM and CD Changer parts of the Package anyway and my dealer confirmed that Porsche will not allow the Burmester stereo only without the XM and CD Changer for US builds.

Is Entry & drive 100% reliable?? And I mean as close to 100% as humanly possible. I don’t like quirky things. I am considering dropping the Premium plus package and going to Premium and adding the ventilated seats separately to avoid Entry & Drive if necessary. I really have no use for the Light Design Package that comes with the Premium Plus anyway.
----------

PS: I decided AGAINST the 991S for these reasons:

20 in wheels (wanted higher profile tires for minimizing road hazard here). Probably the biggest reason. Also after reading here and elsewhere about the full steering wheel lock tire nibbing and the fact that 19 in wheels are better for alleviating this problem. (Please keep in mind that I don’t consider quirks in mechanical things a plus)

Not convinced PASM is really necessary and trying to avoid another electro-mechanical system in the car, also to keep me from making a decision between Normal and Sport suspension setting, since I will be happy with neither if given the choice (a small OCD trait)

Don’t care for the look of Red Brake Calipers (a minor thing)

It also puts me on the trajectory to why not a 4S then? Since I am an all or nothing type of personality, I think I better stick with the base which is more car than I need or will use.

----

Before harassing me about PSE and other performance options, please keep in mind that I am never going to track this car, of the opinion that the less sound that comes into the cockpit the better and the quietness when not accelerating is welcome instead of the burbles (which may be appealing to long time Porsche owners but have no special meaning to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Mine came with vented seats. I would not have ordered them. That would have been a mistake- they are excellent on trips with leather. I have keyless entry and find it very handy not to have to retrieve keys form pockets. No reliability problems at all. I very seriously doubt there is an difference in glare between brushed aluminum and the standard aluminum looking trim- but it sure looks good. Audio buffs rave about the Burmeister. If you are one, why not get and enjoy it? You can always get exhaust tips if the oval ones bother you.

You are going to find your build a blast- just do it! There is nothing "base" about it.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus one on ventilated seats

Are you going PDK or MT?

cheers
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Mine came with vented seats. I would not have ordered them. That would have been a mistake- they are excellent on trips with leather. I have keyless entry and find it very handy not to have to retrieve keys form pockets. No reliability problems at all. I very seriously doubt there is an difference in glare between brushed aluminum and the standard aluminum looking trim- but it sure looks good. Audio buffs rave about the Burmeister. If you are one, why not get and enjoy it? You can always get exhaust tips if the oval ones bother you.

You are going to find your build a blast- just do it! There is nothing "base" about it.
You don't have to convince me about vented seats. I would never consider a car without them anymore.

I'm still debating spending $1500 on the alu trim and console trim.

I like good audio but I wonder if I will be able to enjoy it in this car as much as say a much quieter luxury sedan. Still, if I do not I may always regret it .

Somehow champagne problems in life seem tougher to resolve than real ones....
Old 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by limey940

Are you going PDK or MT?

cheers
As I mentioned.. no one has to convince me on the ventilated seats , i will never get another car without them. I was simply toying with the idea of dropping the Prem Plus and go to Prem to avoid entry & drive (if it is quirky( and add ventilated seats a la carte.

PDK... I thought about going MT, but my current 535i is MT (which will be traded in) and frankly, I am a bit tired of rowing the gears in Atlanta area traffic. I may yet miss the shifting experience but I am sure I will get over it
Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This may help on PTV: http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...lectedVariant=. Good option. Go for it.

Comfort'wise, vented seats for sure.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Good call on the Base 991, its such a fantastic car, very fast and nimble, best Ive ever had, well... until the 4S I have on order arrives.

PASM: I would pass on that unless you need the sport mode for the track, ride is very composed without it, only think I may dislike is the 10mm higher ride height only when parked side by side to a PASM equipped 991.
Sport Tailpipes: a must have for me, expensive but worth every penny. I dont like the look of the ovals.
Aluminum Brushed interior: Only if you are ordering the MF steering wheel. The std trim matches the SportDesign steering wheel finish just perfect.
Stereo: If you like listening to music, stay away from the std stereo, you need at least the Bose. The std stereo is weak.
Entry & Drive: I like it in my Cayenne but not in my sports car.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by limey940

Are you going PDK or MT?

cheers
Also, I seem to keep staring at your 2001 Weim more so than your 991 in your profile pic.. my apologies to your C2S.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by Galion
Good call on the Base 991, its such a fantastic car, very fast and nimble, best Ive ever had, well... until the 4S I have on order arrives.

PASM: I would pass on that unless you need the sport mode for the track, ride is very composed without it, only think I may dislike is the 10mm higher ride height only when parked side by side to a PASM equipped 991.
Sport Tailpipes: a must have for me, expensive but worth every penny. I dont like the look of the ovals.
Aluminum Brushed interior: Only if you are ordering the MF steering wheel. The std trim matches the SportDesign steering wheel finish just perfect.
Stereo: If you like listening to music, stay away from the std stereo, you need at least the Bose. The std stereo is weak.
Entry & Drive: I like it in my Cayenne but not on my sports car.
Thanks for the perspective. very helpful. I actually like the higher ride height so I guess I will forgo the PTV along with the PASM.

Can you elaborate on why you dont like the E&D in the sports car?.. just curious to understand where you are coming from on this.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by rpilot
Thanks for the perspective. very helpful. I actually like the higher ride height so I guess I will forgo the PTV along with the PASM.

Can you elaborate on why you dont like the E&D in the sports car?.. just curious to understand where you are coming from on this.
This may sound stupid but I think that there is something special about putting the key and start the car from the LEFT side, its just Porsche heritage.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dates back to days when race car drivers would run to their cars at the start of a race. It was more efficient to have the left hand turn the key and right hand engage the gear shifter after jumping in the car.

Like this:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
rpilot
Pro

This may sound stupid but I think that there is something special about putting the key and start the car from the LEFT side, its just Porsche heritage.
very true.. but I balance that with the fact that there is still a fake plastic key in there for that turning the key sensation instead of pushing a button and the fact that it avoids the keyring with other keys on it from jangling when I drive.

What makes me hesitant is the things I have been reading about the trunk opening on its own when you are standing near it in the rain, etc. these are the annoyances I am trying to avoid.

Besides there is the security aspect that a car can be hacked into with RF spoofers and will get easier with time as computers get faster every day and I do plan to keep the car a long time. Porsche does not publish information whether they are using 56 bit of 128 bit key encryption codes for this and I have tried to get this information from them. This is a small consideration for me anyway, but a consideration nevertheless.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Porsche left a stub fake key to turn, rather than upset traditionalists with a button!

oops got beat

ps
- rain opening the trunk as described - it don't work like that. It takes a hand not more that a couple inches from the servo to make it work. If care is not taken when a hand is placed right there when washing the car it can pop open. One gy on here was going to return his car and ask for his money back because he feared driving in rainstorms. I hope he got a Prius.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Galion
Pro

^^^Yes I know, hehe. have the E&D and dummy key in my Cayenne, works great but I am always afraid that some stupid thief thinks the key is in the ignition and tries to break in.
Other than that and like I said, I still prefer putting the key by myself, I like it old school when it comes to start my Porsche sports car.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
rpilot
Pro

^^^Yes I know, hehe. have the E&D and dummy key in my Cayenne, works great but I am always afraid that some stupid thief thinks the key is in the ignition and tries to break in.
Other than that and like I said, I still prefer putting the key by myself, I like it old school when it comes to start my Porsche sports car.
I'm all for old school.. cheers. keeping my E&D option open for now though.

Quick Reply: Seeking some input on this 991 build..