Sponsored by:

To 991 or Not to 991? VS SL 63AMG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The 911 is a sports car. The AMG is a muscle car with a brilliant motor and acceleration. The V10 R8 is a helluva car and for the same price I'd take it except for the 2 seat problem. If you don't need the baby seats (2) I'd go for the R8 V10 which over here is a lot more money than the 911. The facelift is minor from what I have read.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
991SCab
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read Motor Trends 2012 Best Driver's Car. They said the 991S "made the other cars look stupid". Including the 63AMG. And the R8 didn't fare that well in the 2011 tests. The 991 is an INCREDIBLE all around car. I love mine!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM
kangeye
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish.. ^^ hehehe
Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kangeye
My point EXACTLY.

Which is the better car??

It will be a DD. I have a 7 month old son. The wife has a Cayenne so will not be troulbeld for groceries and such.
But the SL still only has 2 seats.

a bit of a dilemma.

I truly think that the car I ordered will be my first ever Porsche. But at these prices, Is IT WORTH IT?
Better has a lot of meanings to different people, but from an engineering perspective that Mercedes isn't in the same league with the 991. I just bought a Cab for about 3/4 of what you're planning to spend, so you'd have to expect I consider it worth it as well.

No time for detailed analysis, but the SL63 is ...well, we used to call a car 'pukka' when it was designed as a whole to be the car it was purported to be. It was more obvious in that generation after WWII because most sports cars were achieved by putting lighter bodywork and extra carburetors on a sedan chassis and engine. 'Real' sports cars, pukka cars, were designed from the ground up to be sports cars. I suppose it's a word from British India because we borrowed the word from them.

The Porsche is pukka. The Mercedes is not. It shows in the engineering.

It might be argued that the esthetics show that same effect. But I'm a simple engineer. I don't do esthetics.

Gary
Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a 991 that I have put 6,000 miles on in 9 months. I have an 09 Sl65 that I have put 3000 miles on in a year. I think that says it all.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:24 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should buy the SL. If you are having a hard time deciding, then your priority is probably geared more towards which car is best, or which has the most presence. The SL or the R8 might be best.

If you have a priority to buy the most fun, best performing car, then the answer is obvious, the other two do not come close to the 991S even though they are both spectacular cars in their own sense.

I have both an SL (although it is only a 550, not a 63) and a 991S. Both cars are best in class, they are just in two different classes. Don't let price similarities make these cars appear to be in the same league. The Benz is great at what it is intended to do - look great, give the feel of status, it is fun to drive, and it makes my wife feel good when she drives it to the hair salon. The 991 is the best car to get in and rip it up! Street or preferably track - nothing is better.

Follow your own heart - you don't need us to help you decide.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default P vs M or A

Down south in Africa, we have different perceptions here. Porsche has always been seen to be exclusive compared to BMW,Audi and Merc. These guys also make a whole range of passenger cars so although they have their upper market sports cars etc. in my mind they are just another 'common' brand.

R8's do turn heads, SL63's as well but Porsche is almost more understated and seen to be more special and exclusive although R8 and SL63 is more expensive here.

when you put your Porsche key on a table next to the Audi,Bmw or Merc key, which one looks better? You drive a Porsche, yes...not just an Audi etc.(A1,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7....etc.etc.). ditto BMW and Merc.

besides all the above, the 991S is an amazing car in so many ways. From quiet understated to mean and aggressive in Sport Plus!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Could you possibly get very short leases on each one and try them out? Most of us will lean towards the 991, but in the end it is your choice and you need seat time to get there. If it were me, there would be no choice-991 all the way regardless of price.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Mercs aren't even on my radar, fast but more of a German muscle car than anything. In the US an R8 V10 is much more expensive than the 991, and although I love them it's a pure 2seater with very limited utility while the 911 can easily do all kinds of driving chores.
The transmission in the R8 did not appeal to me at all. I needed to use the paddle on the steering wheel to rev match in order to eliminate that " pulling you from behind " feeling of each gear change during city transit.

The car is a superb accelerator and in corners it does wonders but as a DD Im doubtful.

The 991 does pull my heart and considering resale value, although a fun car should not be an investment IMO, The 991 has its appeals.

I know I should wait for the Turbo, but that pricing is along with 458's and the Murci in this part of the world. boo boo.

carrera S I think it is.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Thank you for the input. Are you sure of the minor F/L? There was a deal for an R8 V10 Spyder in the local dealership rivaling that of the 991 C2S Cabrio and I passed on it.

The V10 sure has a lot of muscle but the transmission of my inferior caliber of a driver , i cannot control properly. If it was an MT it would be a different story but no MT available yet here, something to do with permits. Silly I think.

Do babies adapt well to the RR noise of the 911?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The 911 is a sports car. The AMG is a muscle car with a brilliant motor and acceleration. The V10 R8 is a helluva car and for the same price I'd take it except for the 2 seat problem. If you don't need the baby seats (2) I'd go for the R8 V10 which over here is a lot more money than the 911. The facelift is minor from what I have read.
Thank you for the input.

Are you sure of the minor F/L? I just walked out of the local Audi dealer, they had a great deal for an R8 V10 Spyder rivalling that of the C2S Cabrio.

But of course the rear seating is the problem along with this transmission.

The car has a PRESENCE though.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Originally Posted by 991SCab
Read Motor Trends 2012 Best Driver's Car. They said the 991S "made the other cars look stupid". Including the 63AMG. And the R8 didn't fare that well in the 2011 tests. The 991 is an INCREDIBLE all around car. I love mine!
Thank you for the input.

Yeah i did see the youtube article and even the magazine on paperback. but the 63AMG there was a C Class black series.

The sl is a twin turbo.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Originally Posted by simsgw
Better has a lot of meanings to different people, but from an engineering perspective that Mercedes isn't in the same league with the 991. I just bought a Cab for about 3/4 of what you're planning to spend, so you'd have to expect I consider it worth it as well.

No time for detailed analysis, but the SL63 is ...well, we used to call a car 'pukka' when it was designed as a whole to be the car it was purported to be. It was more obvious in that generation after WWII because most sports cars were achieved by putting lighter bodywork and extra carburetors on a sedan chassis and engine. 'Real' sports cars, pukka cars, were designed from the ground up to be sports cars. I suppose it's a word from British India because we borrowed the word from them.

The Porsche is pukka. The Mercedes is not. It shows in the engineering.

It might be argued that the esthetics show that same effect. But I'm a simple engineer. I don't do esthetics.

Gary
Thank you Gary, your input means a lot. I ve been reading a lot of your posts for the good.

So from an engineering perspective, the P is the smart choice. I get that. thanks.

BUT the P is a car that signifies a very low spoken personality until the gas hits the floor and the RPMS hit the 5-6 K mark. My brain tells me it is the 991 and another part of me tells me I should go for the SL.
Resale value or not, I think fun cars should be fun. It just hurts to pay a lot more for the car then I would have to pay in the States. There thats what I think I was trying to say.

I dont have a garage and the Summer here is steaming hot and the Winters are dreadfully cold with a lot of snow. In your opinion as an engineer, it means a lot to me and thanks, can I maintain the cabrio softtop.? Its my forst softtop.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have a 991 that I have put 6,000 miles on in 9 months. I have an 09 Sl65 that I have put 3000 miles on in a year. I think that says it all.
yup!1 That does say a lot Thanks for that.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
kangeye
AutoX

Originally Posted by clembo
I think you should buy the SL. If you are having a hard time deciding, then your priority is probably geared more towards which car is best, or which has the most presence. The SL or the R8 might be best.

If you have a priority to buy the most fun, best performing car, then the answer is obvious, the other two do not come close to the 991S even though they are both spectacular cars in their own sense.

I have both an SL (although it is only a 550, not a 63) and a 991S. Both cars are best in class, they are just in two different classes. Don't let price similarities make these cars appear to be in the same league. The Benz is great at what it is intended to do - look great, give the feel of status, it is fun to drive, and it makes my wife feel good when she drives it to the hair salon. The 991 is the best car to get in and rip it up! Street or preferably track - nothing is better.

Follow your own heart - you don't need us to help you decide.
That says it all.!!! That about covers it.

Thanks and appreciate the input.

Im following my heart. the 991 it is, enev if the local dealer does seem to be an SOB.

Quick Reply: To 991 or Not to 991? VS SL 63AMG?