Sponsored by:

911 Carrera S Finally Arrives

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:35 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 911 Carrera S Finally Arrives

Got my 911 Carrera S yesterday. Attached is a photograph. Also attached is a copy of the window sticker for those interested in the details.

Ordered: July 27, 2012
Arrived at Los Angeles Port of Entry: November 9, 2012
From Los Angeles Port of Entry to dealer in California: 1 week

A question for 991 owners. Like all 991's this came with Stop-Start Technology. For those not familiar with this technology, the car's engine stops when the car comes to a stop at intersections and alike. That is, when the car comes to a complete stop and your foot is on the brake, the engine will often stop and then restart when you take your foot off the brake. (Except under unusual circumstances.)

I have found this to be disconcerting. I often wonder if the car is going to restart when the traffic light goes green. It always has restarted, but "what about next time?" I want to like it, but for some reason it makes me uncomfortable. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Do you think you can be trusted? What about as the car/battery gets older?

The good news is it has a switch on the console that allows the driver to turn Stop-Start Technology off, which, of course, defeats it's purpose. Furthermore, further good news, it remembers the setting when you turn the car off and get back in the car. So I could turn it off and leave it off. However, as I said I want to like it.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Window Sticker.pdf (213.1 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Gorgeous! Love to hear all about the roof. The start-stop takes some getting used to for sure. I had a Panamera for a bit and found it in that application more acceptable than in my 991. I think that is largely because it is more isolated - quieter and less vibration - in the Panamera. I trust it to keep working, but still usually defeat it. Am trying to get used to it-because I have drive the 991 every chance I get and have grown to really like the "sailing" feature commuting on the highway and love the result at the pump!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 200 Posts

it stops, it starts, it seems to work every time except when i arrive in my garage at home. Curiously, when i put it in park it turns off and will has to be manually restarted.

nice car, enjoy!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

chuckbdc:

Thanks for your comments. Here are my initial thoughts on the glass sunroof. First of all, I also have a Mercedes-Benz sedan. I got the glass sunroof because I have the same on the Mercedes, and I like it a lot. That said, there are some (minor) differences between the two, and for now I'll tell you my thoughts on those.

In both cars, there is a cloth shade that opens and closes between the interior cabin and the sunroof. On the Mercedes, the cloth shade is perforated so that you never really get complete darkness. (It is kind of like those sunglasses that the Eskimos wear that have no actual lenses in them but are merely perforated. It keeps most of the sun out, but not all of it.)

On the 911, that is not the case. The perforations do not exist, so when the cloth shade is closed, no sunlight is streaming through the sunroof. Initially I thought I liked the Mercedes version better, but since I've only had the 911 for two days, I think it's unfair to pass judgment at this point. Either way however I want to emphasize everyone, that you can open and close the shade without actually opening the roof. I can see some advantages and disadvantages to both methods.

(And for what it's worth, I should also mention that on my Mercedes, this sliding cloth partition has jammed up a couple of times, primarily in the first month I owned the Mercedes, but that seems to have been corrected by the dealers service department as I have not had anymore problems with it in two years.)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous! Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your fantastic car and welcome to the forum. If my experience is any guide, these will be the most expensive friends you'll ever have. Great ride though....Chris
Old 11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Nice looking!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
saint.666
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous Car ... ive placed an order for C4S in platinum silver with the glass roof... im getting the jitters about my order cos damn the white with the glass roof looks stunning ..

do u mind sharing some more pics of this beauty ?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Maxy
Advanced

Congrats. Where did you take the picture? That's quite a final resting place!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having a panamera loaner the stop start is hardly noticable- in the 991 as it is so much more a visceral car it is much more noticable and annoying. Press the "a" button and forget about it
Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Drive it in sport mode and forget about the useles auto start/stop and coasting feature, normal mode horrible is IMO.
Very nice car btw.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
goatboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxy
Congrats. Where did you take the picture? That's quite a final resting place!
I recognized it right away. Point Loma National Cemetary.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Point Loma National Cemetery it is. Good eye!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 PM
rlhyde
Advanced

Here are some more pics.
Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by rlhyde
Point Loma National Cemetery it is. Good eye!
Needless to say I really like that Sports PASM stance. How are you finding the PSE?

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera S Finally Arrives