Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO warranty or Aftermarket warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO warranty or Aftermarket warranty?

Hi

First I want to said I learn so much on the 991 on this forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a low mileage 991s, for members with CPO and members with aftermarket warranty, which do you feel its better and worth the investment?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

aftermarket is useless imo.(had a car w/ aftermarket, lets say it was a P.I.T.A. to get anything covered)

but, why do you need CPO on a vehicle that came out 9 months ago? do you really plan on keeping longer than 4 years 50k?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
advantyper
Instructor

Not sure, I might, my last Porsche I kept for 3 yrs. But this one I am spending so much money on it, thought I will keep it longer at least 6yrs

I got quoted $2500 for CPO and $200 for oil Change to CPO the car, is this normal? I thought CPO fee of $2500 should cover the oil change/to get the car spec to CPO right?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:55 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by advantyper
Not sure, I might, my last Porsche I kept for 3 yrs. But this one I am spending so much money on it, thought I will keep it longer at least 6yrs

I got quoted $2500 for CPO and $200 for oil Change to CPO the car, is this normal? I thought CPO fee of $2500 should cover the oil change/to get the car spec to CPO right?
dont spend so much, then easier to get out of without so much of a loss...

not sure about you.. but i bought 991.. drove 8k miles and sold for every dime i paid for it.. TTT included...

order it right and it's an asset... an in demand, hard to obtain under a certain price asset.. load it up with options and you'll hold on to it forever not wanting to lose but each year depreciating more.

2500 is what they pay, or around that... they have to pay for the process to cpo... oil change is mait, nothing to do w/ warranty... maybe they want it to check for shavings and such?

honestly, dont cpo it... if its used then you should be around 15%-18% off msrp for a high msrp car... if you're not.. just order a brand new one to your exact spec for 8% off... minus all those superfluous options should be cheaper than the one you're looking at... and less to lose/more to gain.

it's 5am... so i'm exhausted..... but id vote for ordering one.. i would order another but cancelled my PTS mexico blue 991 manual coupe because going to do PTS GT3 instead..

you can easily order a 991 to spec... own it 2 years and get out of it for less than 10k loss (not including TTT/registration fees/mait).. thats a steal... people who buy civic's lose more than 10k over 2 years.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:54 AM
RET46
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told the CPO costs the dealership $1800 so a cost of $2500 represents some more profit for the dealer.

RET
Old 11-16-2012, 12:30 AM
advantyper
Instructor

You got some great points, hmm what to do, I will need to think about it, thanks for your input

Originally Posted by rijowysock

not sure about you.. but i bought 991.. drove 8k miles and sold for every dime i paid for it.. TTT included...

order it right and it's an asset... an in demand, hard to obtain under a certain price asset.. load it up with options and you'll hold on to it forever not wanting to lose but each year depreciating more.

2500 is what they pay, or around that... they have to pay for the process to cpo... oil change is mait, nothing to do w/ warranty... maybe they want it to check for shavings and such?

honestly, dont cpo it... if its used then you should be around 15%-18% off msrp for a high msrp car... if you're not.. just order a brand new one to your exact spec for 8% off... minus all those superfluous options should be cheaper than the one you're looking at... and less to lose/more to gain.

it's 5am... so i'm exhausted..... but id vote for ordering one.. i would order another but cancelled my PTS mexico blue 991 manual coupe because going to do PTS GT3 instead..

you can easily order a 991 to spec... own it 2 years and get out of it for less than 10k loss (not including TTT/registration fees/mait).. thats a steal... people who buy civic's lose more than 10k over 2 years.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Oh, thanks for the insider info, hmm, debating should I get it CPO or not now.

Decision decisions

Originally Posted by rijowysock

Originally Posted by RET46
I was told the CPO costs the dealership $1800 so a cost of $2500 represents some more profit for the dealer.

RET
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by advantyper
Hi

First I want to said I learn so much on the 991 on this forum. I am about to pull the trigger on a low mileage 991s, for members with CPO and members with aftermarket warranty, which do you feel its better and worth the investment?

Thanks in advance
I would definitely go for the Porsche CPO if I got either one. I don't agree with rijo... [all those letters] I'm afraid. Like you, if I like a car, I keep it a long time. And I don't choose optional features based on resale value, I pick them for my own enjoyment. Maintenance on routine items doesn't amount to much in the out years. All the expensive subsystems like PCM are well checked out by the first fifty thousand miles or four years and likely to last forever after that. Smaller items, like trim or electric seat motors, anyone can afford who can afford a Porsche to start with. A CPO is nice for such things, but not essential.

However, I have seen some expensive engine work required on exotics after the 100,000 mile mark. A CPO would have been very handy when the head bolts pulled out of the aluminum block of our NSX for example. Total cost was $4500 I think, and that was with a hefty dealer discount. In the worst cases, you can dump $20,000 into a driveline failure. Likely? Of course not, or the CPO wouldn't be so cheap. But it's the sort of situation insurance is right for.

I'd say that Porsches haven't shown much of that sort of problem since the IMS days of the first-gen 997's, but a CPO is insurance and insurance is always a bet, a gamble on whether failures will occur. For myself, if I planned to keep a Porsche beyond four years, I definitely would buy the CPO if offered for a reasonable price. And yes, $2500 does sound reasonable to me. (If dealers didn't make a profit, we'd all be lining up to ask for our cars at a soup kitchen: "Yes, please, some more carrera, sir. May I have some PDK on that please?")

Gary
Old 11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never ever buy an aftermarket warranty no matter what the salesperson tells you. The aftermarket warranty company has no real need for customer loyalty and every reason to deny a claim or atleast give you the runaround. A carmaker on the other hand does have a vested interest in your loyalty to the company and while sometimes disagreements do occur with warranty coverage, many times they also go above and beyond as necessary out of customer goodwill. CPO all the way if it makes sense to you.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 AM
advantyper
Instructor

Tks everyone for your input, I put down a deposit on the vehicle today and I am purchasing the CPO warranty, I have a feeling I'll love it a lot and will be keeping it for a while, already got modding plans for the car

Quick Reply: CPO warranty or Aftermarket warranty?